Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening,

Having nightmare public charging issues. Firstly used my source London card to plug in at ASDA Dagenham. The post responded fine but it was asking for me to close the flap, it would appear that the cable is too thick to allow the flap to close. Has anyone else had this issue or am I being stupid??

Secondly the chargemaster post opposite my house won't recognise my card! SOURCE East couldn't help so they put me through to about 3 different companies! Need to call chargemaster directly I reckon!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
@Shaunchilds Are you using a type1/type 2 cable or the 10A EVSE with the 3 pin plug?

If you are using the type1/2 cable then the flap doesn't close and it isn't meant to. However, many of the Chargemaster/POLAR points are programmed to think they are 13A sockets even though the actual socket is type 2. If that is the case then you must contact POLAR and tell them and they can reconfigure the post to know it is a type 2 socket. It will require a post reboot after and that can take 30+ mins.

I have come across 2 of these mis-configured stations and in both cases they reconfigured then rebooted the post and all was well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aaaah thanks for the tip, how would I find out its a type 1 or 2? Sorry Paul, only been an owner for 2 days and it's all a bit new!

Also what is the difference of a type 1 or 2.

I ordered a base model visia that comes with a 3.3kw charger, but ended up with an upgrade and not sure if I have 3.3kw or 6kw charger on-board!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Take a look in the EV Wiki for info on charging standards and the different kinds of plugs (type 1, type 2 etc)...

http://www.evwiki.info/index.php?title=Charging_Standards

The Wiki may help in other ways to. Have a mosey around. It has only just started but there is still a lot of interesting stuff up already :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That article was really useful! Thanks.

I love my car but the public charging issue is a nightmare and it's only day 3! Although I have 3 rapid chargers within 5 miles so I can't moan!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
If you have 3 rapids so close why are you messing around with slower charging? If I were you I'd be charging at home every night and if I needed a top up in the day I'd pop into a rapid and fill to 80%. With a rapid just 5 miles away I'd never, ever charge at a slow charging post unless there was absolutely no option.

Most Leaf owners would give their right arm and first born to have 3 rapids so close! I would... but then I don't have any kids :)

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
Just buy a thinner plug and socket and plug into that. I had the same problem with a Chargemaster post once. It apparently only affects the old ones. I just used my Masterplug extension lead and problem was sorted.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's what I was thinking a standard extension!!

Paul - trying to build up a network of "possibilities"! Amazingly, 2 rapids within 1/3 mile of each other!!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
If you have 3 rapids so close why are you messing around with slower charging? If I were you I'd be charging at home every night and if I needed a top up in the day I'd pop into a rapid and fill to 80%. With a rapid just 5 miles away I'd never, ever charge at a slow charging post unless there was absolutely no option.

Most Leaf owners would give their right arm and first born to have 3 rapids so close! I would... but then I don't have any kids :)
Yeah, I'm similarly lucky. I took a friend and the dogs up for a hike in the Brecon Beacons on sunday. After 75 hilly miles, I had the choice of going straight home to charge on my 16a for 6 hours (and pay for electricity), or divert 5 miles to Cardiff west services & their rapid. I arrived home with 78% :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So no public charging success yet! But I managed to charge at work today from a 3 pin plug, so while my car was sat in the car park and I was working I was topping up! I want to have access to the source network as I can see the public charging post from my bedroom window!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Silly question time, why rapid charge to only 80%, why not 100%? Does a rapid charger not allow you to charge to 100% or is the 'rapid' part of the charge only take you to 80% and then it starts to slow down?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Silly question time, why rapid charge to only 80%, why not 100%? Does a rapid charger not allow you to charge to 100% or is the 'rapid' part of the charge only take you to 80% and then it starts to slow down?
I could be wrong here, but I believe there was an "understanding" that charging to 100% in general can or could shorten battery life and reduce performance of the battery more rapidly over its lifetime, this effect could be exacerbated by rapid charging, particularly in the 80-100% "zone".

It is also true that the "rapid" chargers (as all chargers) slow down as they near a complete charge, and that last 20% or so is not exactly "rapid" any longer.

Studies and user data (again, correct me if I'm wrong here people) seems to suggest that this fear of 100% is unjustified in most cases. So much so that (as I understand it) the "2014" US LEAF is removing the 80% charge default setting in favour of 100%.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts