Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

What choice have you made?

• Signed up to Polar Economy Plus (£12/month)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to hear what other EV owners have done in response to Chargemaster's new pricing / app / website.

·
Super Moderator
6,338 Posts
None of the above.
I am not paying that much over the top, end of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I do not object to paying for the electricity I use, but this tarriff is punitive. I will simply adjust the usage of my EV so that I do not need to use one of the CM points.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Too expensive to justify any regular use. Also not a fan of giving them money on the off chance that I need to use it. If/when I can pay as and when I use it, like with petrol stations, I will use when needed.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I have added 20 credit as a backup on the PAYG app, just incase I need it in an emergency.

I don't like the pricing scheme but I would hate to be stranded because of my pride

·
Registered
82 Posts
Too expensive! Did the government subsidise the installation? If so this is expensive electricity. If their app works I will use it as a last resort

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Too expensive! Did the government subsidise the installation? If so this is expensive electricity. If their app works I will use it as a last resort
I believe OLEV (the government) covered the cost of installation, so Chargemaster only have to cover electricity / maintenance.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Slightly modified habits to avoid Chargemaster (considering the monopoly they have around here, you might think that's tricky, but no) because the charges are too high in all cases, and having to register and pay £20 in advance for a so-called PAYG service that might not even work when I really need it in an emergency is out of the question.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
I used Polar in the early days but gave up because it was so unreliable... I have no intension of ever using it and have fed that back to BMW.

·
Banned
476 Posts
Hello bought c zero over a year ago, card given by Citroen SSE card still activates Chargemaster chargepionts Waitrose, Nissan etc subscribed card from Chargemaster doesn't understandably introduction of charges means new card non functional but why the old card still continues to work? Sorry if old question.

Also found web site that allows user to input departure destination milage location of all charge points with maps throughout Europe info from EDF .

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Signed up to Polar Instant but not paying them anything until I feel I have to.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,440 Posts
I'm not signing up at all, I have not found any CM points I would need to use at these prices. The only CM units I have found up here are too unreliable and I can always use Asda's store card if they are working and available..

·
Registered
295 Posts
Gone for Polar Instant and paid the £20. Just as a backup / just in case measure, don't want to be caught short one day!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With the Ampera, petrol use is now less expensive than a Chargemaster charge. I will not be using Chargemaster unless they change their pricing structure.
That was my conclusion too, for my Ampera. My commute isn't long enough to need to charge for the home journey, so I only need to charge occasionally after longer journeys - 2 or 3 times a month perhaps. So there's no point in having a subscription.

Polar Instant pricing worked out at £5-£6 for a charge, vs £4.40 for petrol. Why would I bother plugging in?

(And that's ignoring the killer that they're billing you for time plugged in, not time actually charging)

1 - 20 of 142 Posts