Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

101 - 120 of 142 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
A500 Stoke on Trent (joins M6 J15/J16)

There are two large retail parks within 2 miles of each other.

Wolstanton Retail Park (M&S, Asda, Starbuck, Matalan etc): Google Maps
Festival Retail Park (Next, McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Currys etc): Google Maps
Yes.

Does anyone have suggestions on the other side of the M6? A51 --> A500 --> M6. I've driven that route either to Crewe or to avoid motorway congestion but am not too familar with the area.

I've got one idea, but need to research it first.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
The A51/A534 side doesn't have much in the way of anything. There's only really Nantwich that would be any good for a rapid. Holmes Chapel is near the M6 and that is strategic. That's on the A50. There's a Shell at Holmes Chapel I think. Knutsford on the A50 is another. There is a petrol station just outside Knutsford.

A534 route is all small towns. A51 is similar. The industrial estate in Wrexham is one place for one that would be good for North Wales. That's close to the A534 and A483. Or the Morrisons on the A525.

That's why I was thinking the Esso at Whitchurch which is on the A525 would be quite good. There's also a Shell at Whitchurch so that's 2 places.

A500 also has the Freeport Shopping centre which is near to the A500/A34 interchange. There's a Little Chef right on the main roundabout. That might be another good set of places.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Colney Fields shopping park, on the edge of the M25 Jn 22, in London Colney. Sainsbury's, M&S, Travelodge hotel, Boots, Monsoon, Next, etc. They are redeveloping the car parking area - would be great to get some chargers in.

The area south of St Albans and east of Watford is very poorly served. And, both those places show many chargers on your map. In reality there are far fewer, as they're not maintained and many were on the old Source East network.

Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 10.45.49.png

As a general idea, since many (all?) of the Source East chargepoints were ChargeMaster supplied units, it would be fantastic if you could take ownership of those posts, and bring them back to life again.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Yes.

Does anyone have suggestions on the other side of the M6? A51 --> A500 --> M6. I've driven that route either to Crewe or to avoid motorway congestion but am not too familar with the area.

I've got one idea, but need to research it first.
At the A34/A500 northern end junction (there is a similar junction at southern end but no space for chargers)there is a Little Chef with a big car park. That would be excellent for travelling up/down country using A roads.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Euro Garages A51 / Tarvin Road. There is a Subway and Spar.
Foregate St, Christleton, Chester CH3 7HN

Snugburys Ice Cream
Park Farm A51 / Chester Road, Hurleston, Nantwich CW5
Would give us a reason to stop for ice cream :)

Applegate's Farm Shop
A41 Whitchurch Rd
Chester, Cheshire, CH3 9DR

We ate lunch at Applegate's once. It was surprisingly good. Website says they have recently changed ownership. ??

·
Registered
49 Posts
starbucks wooferton a49/a456 herefordshire or a49/a44 leominster ok diner
aberystwyth promenade, brecon co-op carpark, crossgates service station a44/a483 powys

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
At the A34/A500 northern end junction (there is a similar junction at southern end but no space for chargers)there is a Little Chef with a big car park. That would be excellent for travelling up/down country using A roads.
I was slightly wrong about no space at the southern end. There is room on Trentham Lakes, behind Knights BMW.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Glastonbury, it's a nice place to stop enroute to Devon and Cornwall avoiding the M5, there is also a large retail village and Sainsbury's nearby.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yeovil, Somerset. Any number of large supermarkets including a 24 hour Tesco. Quedam multi storey car park, Houndstone retail park.

South Devon, anywhere you like quite frankly, what's a rapid in that neck of the woods? Morrisons near Paignton Zoo, large Asda in Newton Abbot, Trago Mills near Newton Abbot, Sainsburys between Paignton and Brixham, there is also a retail park on this stretch with a McDonalds etc.

The A303, Cartgate picnic stop. Any number of Little Chefs along the way, a Morrisons in Wincanton 30 seconds off of the A303. What about between Exeter and Cornwall, both the A38 and A30? Again, there are towns along the way such as Okehampton, which has a Waitrose for instance. A38 Liskeard Trago Mills.

North Devon, again take your pick! Somewhere in Barnstaple, can't think which supermarkets are there. The Atlantic Highway, big shopping centre after you turn left towards Cornwall from Barnstaple.

The list is endless once you leave London and head this way quite frankly. The forgotten South West.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
The problem with putting chargers in places like hotels, restaurants, pubs and so on is that they are not truly public, but belong to the venue, unless otherwise stated. When I'm planning a route, I see such chargers and wonder whether I'll be able to use them or be told it's for customers/patrons only.

I like the idea of petrol stations forecourts and purposely created ,Fastned like, charging stations. Where it is obvious they are for 'public' use.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Might I suggest somewhere around Lincoln and Skegness the main motorway roads seem well served but if you want a trip out that way there are no options.. i'm sure there are plenty of public car parks in both locations..

Screenshot_20170322-124332.png

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Hi @Chargemaster Plc As mentioned before a minimum of three at each MSA. In another thread it seems Tesla are installing at Welcome Break etc. So is there any reason Chargemaster cannot install at MSA's. How about a few showpiece 8/12 charger hubs at the busiest MSA's. It would certainly be the way forward.

Richard

·
Registered
235 Posts
This is a reply I got back from the Broads Authority in Norfolk when asking about charging point to help the holiday industry in Norfolk and Suffolk.

" You are right that there is a very low number of charging points within the Broads for cars. (We do have charge points for boats on many of our moorings and have had a discounted tolls system for electric boats for some time. ) Many of the charge points that are present are provided by local councils, often on sites they own such as car parks. They should be able to provide such information but I am sure you are fully conversant with the various charge point listing web sites.

Currently the National Parks Partnership is in discussion with three of the main charge point installers to explore how provision can be improved in National Parks. It is likely some pilots will come forward where there is the highest demand and Parks have suitable locations. The data provided to us puts us at the lowest end of the list for demand (in terms of cars registered within 50 miles) and we own virtually no suitable assets such as car parks. I therefore cannot see us being a pilot.

We have tried to work with tourism businesses to develop a sustainable tourism approach (the latest strategy is on the web site) and have discussed with them the impacts of climate change and the need to adapt. As yet I do not know of any tourism business that has installed a car charging point. We will continue to encourage Broads Tourism businesses to look to the future and start adapting their offer.

I appreciate that there is a chicken and egg situation. Until there are adequate charging options, the uptake of electric cars will be low – without significant demand there will be less incentive to provide the facilities. When moving to our current offices we were able to access a grant to install a charge point in our private car park and we did trial an electric van. The trial proved disappointing with the charging system in the van failing and having to be returned before the end of the period.

I am sorry our answer is not very positive. Like many in the public sector our income has been significantly cut and at present we cannot justify any investment programme. I wish you well in continuing to lobby the private and public sector and hope provision improves soon.

Regards

Simon Hooton "

So Norfolk and Suffolk is still looking for help with installation points.

101 - 120 of 142 Posts