Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something that seems rather strange is that to select the 32A socket on POLAR charge stations there is a rather hit and miss technique required.

You present your card to the reader, if you hold it there long enough then the 13A door wil open. However, if you remove it before the 13A door opens a timer starts on the screen and providing you don't re-present your card it will select the 32A door.

This seems rather hit or miss. There is no indicator to tell you when to remove the card to start the timer. Leave it there too long and the 13A door opens... don't leave it there long enough and nothing happens at all.

As a software developer this is poor design. There should be feedback to the user when the card has been recongnised so that you know when to remove the card to select the 32A door. Even better would be to do away with all this kerfuffle and simply to have it so when the card is first presented it selects the 13A socket but then just hold the card there for a further few seconds to select the 32A. This is what some other makes of post do and it works very well.

Edit: Corrected procedure after trying it again :)

·
Premium Member
11,465 Posts
Glad it is not just me who found this confusing!

On one post I could not get socket 2 to open despite many attempts and could not be a**ed to get my other cable out, so drove off in a huff without getting the lunch I had stopped for!

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If anyone cannot get the second door to open at all then I really do suggest that you report it to ChargeMaster. It probably means there is something wrong with the post.

Don't forget, you can call them on their non-0845 number 01582 400331

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
the magnetic locks on the chargemaster flaps are pretty feeble, I could open one with my fingers, without realising they were supposed to be locked.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts