Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chargemaster came back today to remove the tesla specific unit and replace it with a standard type 2 32amp unit. Engineer did not know why and all tesla have said is, fix is being done in the car rather than the unit.

No idea what the real reason is, but great customer service from both organisations.

·
Registered
5 Posts
@jontracey
I noticed an old post about Tesla & BP Chargemaster home chargers & wondered if you could help with a problem I have with my BP Smartcharge economy 1 7kW home charger. It will only allow my Model 3 to draw 16amps 3.6kW. The app. Says my EV is not plugged in. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
@jontracey
I noticed an old post about Tesla & BP Chargemaster home chargers & wondered if you could help with a problem I have with my BP Smartcharge economy 1 7kW home charger. It will only allow my Model 3 to draw 16amps 3.6kW. The app. Says my EV is not plugged in. Any ideas?
Do you know for sure it's a 7kW? It should have a 30A sticker underneath if so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is it tethered or untethered? If untethered are you using a 16A cable?
Hello Roger,
It’s tethered. Although I have not checked whether my Tesla M3 will charge elsewhere at 30amps AC yet, I’m at a bit of a loss as to how to deal with this. My installer ChargedEV suggested using the BP Smartcharge app. which should allow you to program a fast charge. Only it refuses to work and shows a greyed out message that my EV is not plugged in when it is and is charging.
I thought that all you had to do was to install the correct rated charger and plug your EV in and it would charge at the rated supply i.e 30 amps, but that has not proved to be the case. There is some sort of handshake going on between my Tesla and the charger which means the maximum rate you can select on the Tesla display is 16amps. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
When you are charging check the charging screen on your Model 3 and see what amps it is showing. You may need to select 32A on the screen as it may have defaulted to 16A

·
Registered
5 Posts
When you are charging check the charging screen on your Model 3 and see what amps it is showing. You may need to select 32A on the screen as it may have defaulted to 16A
Thanks Firetrax,
It will not allow selection of a rate higher than 16amp as you would expect. I thought I would be able to dial up it up to 30amps, but it does not give me that option. It is not seeing that a 30amp supply is available. Grrrr.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Thanks Firetrax,
It will not allow selection of a rate higher than 16amp as you would expect. I thought I would be able to dial up it up to 30amps, but it does not give me that option. It is not seeing that a 30amp supply is available. Grrrr.
Ok. Probably worth trying out a 30A. Public charger then just to rule out an y issues with the car

1 - 12 of 12 Posts