Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
ZE50 GT Line R135 CCS, Mar '20
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been told that people are more likely to complain than praise but looking at reviews for the chargemaster wall point; are they really as bad as the reviews would imply?

Getting a free 7kw point through Renault but wondering if I'm better paying out of pocket and going with someone else?

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
427 Posts
If you've got solar panels on your home etc then you'd be far better to tie your EV charging system into you're own renewable energy. For that a zappi is a great choice.

I've gone for the Ohme charger which I hope/expect optimise my charge both in terms of ensuring the car is "just so" when I want it as well as minimising my grid costs at the same time as focusing on renewables.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I've had a Chargemaster one for about 2 years. It's worked fine. I think it may be the case that just like the majority of shoppers who have a bad experience will make a complaint, but only a handful will provide praise, so the reality is possibly any reviews you've read might be skewed.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Getting a free 7kw point through Renault
Sometimes things aren't what they seem. Most of the cost is being paid by the OLEV grant, only 1/4 by Renault.

Chargemaster are owned by BP (or whatever they call themselves today :rolleyes: ), and their previously tarnished reputation has not been improved since the takeover. However, their unit does the basic job and is more reliable than some.

To know which charge point is best for you it would help to know what features you need or might want.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've always been told that people are more likely to complain than praise but looking at reviews for the charge master wall point; are they really as bad as the reviews would imply?

Getting a free 7kw point through Renault but wondering if I'm better paying out of pocket and going with someone else?
I got my Renault supplied unit last year, not missed a beat. I just use it to charge whenever i want and don't use the timer functions.

I went through the same back and fourth as you and discovered that the charger installers see you as a cash cow and really take the mick when it comes to installation costs.

In the end, go for the free one, see how it goes. If you don't like it, the next installation should be easier.

As to costs, I'm sure mine was about £1300. £500 paid by olev and the remaining £800 covered by Renault.

In the end, its a charger. I'd rather have a completely dumb charger that world reliably every time and is cheap. All this smart stuff just makes them more complex and adds to the cost. Unfortunately under the olev grant now it has to be a smart charger. Waste of time, i think I've looked at the connected website about 5 times max.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,177 Posts
I've always been told that people are more likely to complain than praise but looking at reviews for the chargemaster wall point; are they really as bad as the reviews would imply?

I've had one for 4 years now and it's been perfectly fine. I've just converted it from un-tethered to tethered. (works with my now EV, MG EZS)

My one suggestion to you is pay the extra and get the tethered version.

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019
628 Posts
I've got one. Bought on ebay for £150, works perfectly.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So chargemaster got in touch. Sent the requested details and they need me to free up a non-RCD slot in the consumer unit.

Quoted 35-50 from most who think it might need a new busbar.
£3-400 from one who thinks it needs a new board (!).

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Or they could just rewire the whole house for £10k. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, have you unused slots at present or are you going to have to combine two circuits?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Or they could just rewire the whole house for £10k. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, have you unused slots at present or are you going to have to combine two circuits?

Three blank in the rcd section so, as a non electrician, I assume they will just magically slide something over like electric jenga?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
My March 2015 Polar (chargemaster) unit has been working fine since it was installed. Not sure their public charging is great, but don't worry about getting their stuff on the wall to charge your car. That part should be OK.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
View attachment 128824

Three blank in the rcd section so, as a non electrician, I assume they will just magically slide something over like electric jenga?
Exactly. Just they need to supply power to the new MCBO in the non-RCD protected section, hence the new busbar. You may want to have your board brought up to 18th Edition spec at the same time if you have a sparky out but it'll substantially increase the cost.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So got an electrician in and he's happy that it is a simple, and more importantly cheap, job.

So next question; the ohme cable from socket to their big "lump" is only about a foot in length. Anyone effectively hard wired the cable and anything I should look out for?

·
Registered
706 Posts
My Chargemaster was fitted about 12 months ago in the garage. Installation no problem and the unit has performed perfectly. Of course, it has zero optional functions - you just plug it in and leave it but my i3 has all the controls that I need.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts