Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ChargeMyHyundai RFID card arrived today, but I can't see me even activating it now I've looked at the prices. Taking my local Instavolt as an example; using my Instavolt RFID No Connection fee and 35p per kwh. Using ChargeMyHyundai on the same charger a 49 p connection charge and 40 pence per kwh. I've got a special wallet in the car with all the RFID cards, on price alone I can't see how Charge My Hyundai will ever catch on!

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,861 Posts
My ChargeMyHyundai RFID card arrived today, but I can't see me even activating it now I've looked at the prices. Taking my local Instavolt as an example; using my Instavolt RFID No Connection fee and 35p per kwh. Using ChargeMyHyundai on the same charger a 49 p connection charge and 40 pence per kwh. I've got a special wallet in the car with all the RFID cards, on price alone I can't see how Charge My Hyundai will ever catch on!
It is very cheeky by Hyundai/Kia to only disclose the prices for other networks only after registering!!!

·
Life's too short to wait for a Kona .....
122 Posts
Yes me too. I am shocked at the rates....not a chance will I use it, other than in emergencies if no other method works. Shame on Hyundai for blatant exploitation. If they are not careful they will drive away customers from their brand with sharp practices like this.

·
Registered
Kona 64
737 Posts
These comments are echoed on the French Hyundai site I follow. They have had the card since last September and are equally underwhelmed.
As a matter of interest what is the price for Ionity France? Ionity are ruinously expensve but since Hyundai are a shareholder there ought to be a deal? I might be tempted if Ionity prices are reasonable. Owing to French Government regs the price is per minute (so will be better value charging an Ioniq5).

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
786 Posts
I seriously don't understand why anyone would be remotely tempted by this or the Kia equivalent, which is basically the same deal.

Public surveys, overwhelming opinion - "we want to use our contactless cards to charge our car"

Kia / Hyundai - "Hey, we have got a good deal. Get our RFID card, and use that instead of your contactless card, which you prefer, and, here's the good bit, you pay more!. Sounds great eh?"

Nah, I'll leave it, thanks.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
I seriously don't understand why anyone would be remotely tempted by this or the Kia equivalent, which is basically the same deal.
If you are the finance dept in a large company with a fleet of EVs then you can get cards that will let your employees use a wide range of chargers and you get a single bill the way the ICE drivers use a fuel card and it all gets billed to the company. In that case the higher cost is perhaps a price worth paying to avoid having to process each charge as a separate claim on expenses.

For the rest of us, no it seems pointless.

At least I assume that's what Hyundai and Kia are trying to do.

·
Registered
225 Posts
These comments are echoed on the French Hyundai site I follow. They have had the card since last September and are equally underwhelmed.
As a matter of interest what is the price for Ionity France? Ionity are ruinously expensve but since Hyundai are a shareholder there ought to be a deal? I might be tempted if Ionity prices are reasonable. Owing to French Government regs the price is per minute (so will be better value charging an Ioniq5).
Before moving to Portugal I ordered one thinking that any day the preferential rates for Ionity’s chargers would appear, nope, still want 79c kWh, plus there is a small cost to start the charge , cheapest that I’m aware of is Chargepoint at 69c kWh. it would make me feel very sad to use these chargers and think I’d been better off in a Diesel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Glad it's not just me that can't see the point in paying £1.99 to register them £0.49 a session, in to of charge costs, instead of just using my existing apps / debit cards.
Maybe they're banking on both the corporate customers and new EV drivers who assume you have to have one of these.
Poor form.

·
Registered
Kona 64
737 Posts
Glad it's not just me that can't see the point in paying £1.99 to register them £0.49 a session, in to of charge costs, instead of just using my existing apps / debit cards.
Maybe they're banking on both the corporate customers and new EV drivers who assume you have to have one of these.
Poor form.
However I have just recouped the entire cost of a years subscription to the Ionity add-on during a two week trip to France. I would not have bothered with myHyundai in the first place if it was not for the £30 credits. But now the account has paid for itself in just two weeks, with a saving of over £130.

I will only use the card for Ionity charging as I agree totally with your comments about the session fee. I can use by Octopus Juice card instead.

·
Registered
410 Posts
ChargeMyHyundai only makes sense if:
  • you get subscription (Ionity becomes the cheapest from them all)
  • you get free credits
  • you have fleet / cannot be bothered with multiple charge cards.

Having said that Ionity starts IonityPassport program (subsription based) which is not that much different than ChargeMyHyundai.

·
Registered
Kona 64
737 Posts
It
Has anyone worked out what yearly mileage you have to do to make it profitable to have a subscription?
its more a case of where you travel and if Ionity would be the best offering on route. My subscription gives me a price of 25p a kWh. Or I could just go to an upgraded Gridserve for 30p a unit. So £135 a year subs to save just 5p a unit. Thats would take 2,700kWh of charging at 4 miles per Kw to break even. That is about 10,800 miles of charging on Ionity just to cover the subs. For travelling in the UK there are adequate alternatives. You would have to be a business user to justify the subs. There are time savings as well if you can quantify that, but you would really need an Ioniq5 to benefit from quicker charging.

However in France where Ionity is at present the only viable national network, paying 0.27€ a unit against 0.79€ full price when there is only very patchy and unreliable infrastructure otherwise makes perfect sense. During a 2 week holiday I ‘saved’ £131 over the full price. The subscription is £11.25 a month for 12 month minimum. £135 a year, so I have the benefits up front. I will probably go back in May 22 so I will then really reap the benefit. I would not have taken up the Ionity add on otherwise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts