Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I was thinking about a trip to Scotland in the near future. I have a CYC card, but it expired in May (I never used it).

Looking at ZapMap, it seems that all CCS chargers west of the A9 are CYC / CPS chargers (ok, there is one Engenie location on the A9 near Pitlochry).

That's a bit rubbish, isn't it?

So, if I want to go to that part of Scotland now I've either got to stump up £20 for a card I'll probably not use again for a long, long time.... and wait for that card to arrive in the post before I can make the trip.... or, take my chances by trying to use the CYC app and hoping chargers can be activated okay without a card.

Hopefully it won't be long before other networks (most likely Instavolt and Engenie by the look of it) venture further up into NW Scotland.

Is there anything I'm missing?

How long does it normally take to receive a new card from CYC?

Is getting CPS chargers to work with the CYC app actually not that bad?

I've asked CYC if they can just 'unexpire' it - you'd think that was simple - but I'm pre-empting them saying it's not possible for some reason.

*Edited to add emphasis for those who got confused.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
It's not a monopoly on the basis you are free to bring your granny and charge (slowly) wherever you might find a 240v outlet.

As an adopted Scot, I'd be inclined to make a comment along the lines that it is quite remarkable given the fragile economies of the West Highlands that there is rapid charging provision at.all. Your 20 quid "donation" will of course be made and accepted in good spirit all around

·
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last time I checked, a granny charger doesn’t use a CCS connector..

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Is there anything I'm missing?

How long does it normally take to receive a new card from CYC?

Is getting CPS chargers to work with the CYC app actually not that bad?

Yeah, the App is truely dreadful.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
For the cost of £20 and applying sharpish is little cost compared to rapid charges. In most vehicles that would be 3 maybe 4 rapids at an EH unit...

·
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
For the cost of £20 and applying sharpish is little cost compared to rapid charges. In most vehicles that would be 3 maybe 4 rapids at an EH unit...
Yeah it’s not so much the cost that bothers me, but the hassle and the fact that if I wanted to go this weekend it’s probably not going to be (comfortably) possible now unless I risk using the app or stick to the south.

I’m hoping they’ll reply to my email promptly and surprise me by saying they can just click a button to un-expire my card....but I’m not very hopeful.

Plus, I thought CPS had started applying charging fees now - in which case the £20 would (from my perspective at least) just be a surcharge for them to send me another bit of plastic that I ought not to need.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yeah it’s not so much the cost that bothers me, but the hassle and the fact that if I wanted to go this weekend it’s probably not going to be (comfortably) possible now unless I risk using the app or stick to the south.

I’m hoping they’ll reply to my email promptly and surprise me by saying they can just click a button to un-expire my card....but I’m not very hopeful.

Plus, I thought CPS had started applying charging fees now - in which case the £20 would (from my perspective at least) just be a surcharge for them to send me another bit of plastic that I ought not to need.

From what i recall, the card came through the post in a few weeks last year. I'm sure its going to be a bit slower now. Apply for the card, once it comes in a few weeks plan your trip. Most likely by the time it arrives you will actually be able to come to Scotland as a tourist. Right now we are still 5 miles travel recommendation for good reason.

Even when everything is open, rest stops are few and far between on the A9. Between glasgow and inverness there will be no public toilets open right now. Even once you actually get to inverness, the first chance you will have will be queuing up at tescos as eveything else is shut. McDonalds at the broxden roundabout will be takeaway only. I believe even all the hotels are closed too.

Honestly, unless you really have to, i wouldn't bother for another wee while till it all calms down a bit.

·
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it may be better to wait a few weeks - although I wouldn’t really be planning on using any facilities other than rapid chargers.

I understood the 5 mile travel recommendation is due to end this Friday.

·
Registered
417 Posts
It's not a monopoly on the basis you are free to bring your granny and charge (slowly) wherever you might find a 240v outlet.

As an adopted Scot, I'd be inclined to make a comment along the lines that it is quite remarkable given the fragile economies of the West Highlands that there is rapid charging provision at.all. Your 20 quid "donation" will of course be made and accepted in good spirit all around
I know nothing of charging facilities in Scotland but if we are expected to charge with our granny cables, my recommendation is not to go.

·
Registered
430 Posts

Bill, a couple of thoughts ...

Prices for charging on most chargers is determined by the local authority (many were installed as a result of Scottish Government subsidies). I live in Fife. Chargers were free to use on the CYC network here (please don't tell me that the £20 fee contradicts this, I am talking about at individual charger level!) until fees were introduced on 1 April. Zap-map and Plugshare should give you info on likely availability as well as charge fees.

I don't know what percentage of chargers have weak mobile connectivity with host servers. I expect that in remote locations the number will be high. I believe that CYC deal with this by holding a list of pre-approved regular users on a database on each charger. If a mobile signal is inadequate at the time of charging the charger can authorise itself based on the database it holds. If you are seen as a new user (new card) I expect you may not be on the database on many remote chargers. So even if you have a card, you might have difficulties connecting. And if there is an inadequate mobile signal at the time, the CYC helpdesk will be unable to authorise charging remotely. Despite this sounding negative, I think the CYC network in Scotland is pretty good. I've used it a lot until last October and know of others who have travelled all over Scotland in EVs.

I think you are likely to find that many locals in remote locations are not yet ready to welcome visitors, especially anyone from outside their own part of Scotland. If you really want to enjoy a nice visit to Scotland I recommend that you plan very carefully and ensure that you will be welcome in the parts of Scotland you intend to go to. Scotland is a great place and normally very welcoming; it's just very difficult and scary times at the moment.

·
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Paul - very helpful. I think it’s likely we’ll have to leave it for a few weeks now anyway, but the tentative plan had been a bit of an unusual one - to just drive up and sleep one night somewhere remote and then basically drive back, being totally self sufficient (except for rapid charging). A bit of a driving challenge more than anything really and something of a test of our appetite to do similar long distance trips into Europe.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Looking at the CPS website live map, a high percentage of CCS sockets at rapids show status as "unknown". Is it really this bad? Does 'unknown" equal unavailable/not working?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Is "unknown" due to no one having used them for some time, after all in Scotland people are still under house arrest.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Looking at the CPS website live map, a high percentage of CCS sockets at rapids show status as "unknown". Is it really this bad? Does 'unknown" equal unavailable/not working?
Many units were retrofitted with CCS a few years ago and, as a result, may not report status. However, unless there is a physical issue with the CCS connector, the CHAdeMO status can be used as a proxy (the DC charging system is shared within the unit). We account for this discrepancy in the WattsUp app to provide accurate CCS availability.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts

Prices for charging on most chargers is determined by the local authority (many were installed as a result of Scottish Government subsidies). I live in Fife. Chargers were free to use on the CYC network here (please don't tell me that the £20 fee contradicts this, I am talking about at individual charger level!) until fees were introduced on 1 April. Zap-map and Plugshare should give you info on likely availability as well as charge fees.

I don't know what percentage of chargers have weak mobile connectivity with host servers. I expect that in remote locations the number will be high. I believe that CYC deal with this by holding a list of pre-approved regular users on a database on each charger. If a mobile signal is inadequate at the time of charging the charger can authorise itself based on the database it holds. If you are seen as a new user (new card) I expect you may not be on the database on many remote chargers. So even if you have a card, you might have difficulties connecting. And if there is an inadequate mobile signal at the time, the CYC helpdesk will be unable to authorise charging remotely. Despite this sounding negative, I think the CYC network in Scotland is pretty good. I've used it a lot until last October and know of others who have travelled all over Scotland in EVs.

I think you are likely to find that many locals in remote locations are not yet ready to welcome visitors, especially anyone from outside their own part of Scotland. If you really want to enjoy a nice visit to Scotland I recommend that you plan very carefully and ensure that you will be welcome in the ofparts of Scotland you intend to go to. Scotland is a gre,at place and normally very welcoming; it's just very difficult and scary times at the moment.
If
Many units were retrofitted with CCS a few years ago and, as a result, may not report status. However, unless there is a physical issue with the CCS connector, the CHAdeMO status can be used as a proxy (the DC charging system is shared within the unit).
Completely correct, nothing to do with Covid.

Suggest if the whole point of the OPs journey is just try out a long journey, an alternative monopoly avoiding route is selected😜😜😜😜

·
Registered
430 Posts
I think the connection between the charger and the authorising server is via mobile phone signal (3g?). In remote locations where the signal can vary (come and go depending on several factors such as weather and local usage) the host server has no consistent ready method of determining live usage. So I usually rely on updates left by previous users. If there is a trend of failed usage then I consider it unlikely that I can use it. I will still try but more in hope than expecting it to work. I usually then add an update to zap-map and or Plugshare if there hasn't been a recent update by anyone else.

Since last October I've been spoilt by having a Tesla Model 3 so I haven't needed to use CYC so frequently. I don't think the network has changed much though since last October.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Many units were retrofitted with CCS a few years ago and, as a result, may not report status. However, unless there is a physical issue with the CCS connector, the CHAdeMO status can be used as a proxy (the DC charging system is shared within the unit). We account for this discrepancy in the WattsUp app to provide accurate CCS availability.
As a PS, in my posts on this thread I refer to Zap-map and Plugshare. Nothing against WattsUp, just that I never needed to adopt it. I did have a quick look and it looked fine to me. :)

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.