Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven’t seen this posted here so far — maybe it’s snuck in under the radar. New tariff in place as of yesterday, apparently: £0.19 / kWh plus a £0.38 connection fee.

Their “live map” shows which chargers this applies to, but it doesn’t seem to be universal so I’m not sure how they’ve decided. Thoughts?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I used 27.7 kW yesterday and as usual there was no charge (Scottish Borders). I think at the moment its up to the local council. There has not been any general email notification of changes to charges so I can only assume charges will be rolled out per council area in time. So far (there may be other areas) ...

East Lothian - 30p/kW with a £1 connection fee.
Dumfries and Galloway - 25p/kW with £1.50 minimum charge.

What council area are you in?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Looks like its only some, the ones that i've used across 4 councils are all still free.

Glasgow
North Lanarkshire
South Lanarkshire
Ayrshire.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, right enough. I was alerted to it by a friend, and as I’m not on Twitter I only saw the abbreviated tweet on their website (which was cut off before the “Aberdeen” bit). It’s a bit of a pain, and I’m a bit grumpy at their lack of direct communication on the subject, but it was bound to happen eventually.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Keep in mind that their live map is not entirely up to date and some stations showing as free is in fact paid.
Some in Fife are paid and those are the ones I know about.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yes, I think various councils will bring in charging over time and was bound to come as you said Chutney. They were all free to encourage EV uptake I suppose with the initial grants. With councils struggling even more now it will only increase the rate of implementation of a charge.

Keeping it reasonably priced at say 20p/kW should be the way to go to ensure that rapids are maintained and available 24 hours a day. It will encourage EV owners to charge at home at a lower domestic energy price thus freeing up chargers for those travelling longer distances. It may reduce the number of plug-in hybrids using rapids too, further freeing up rapids.

Hopefully continual monitoring of rapid charger use, and plans to double/triple up the rapids as required as EV ownership increases should keep us all covered :)

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,453 Posts
I don't mind paying a fair price for the leccy and convenience when needed but what I don't like is the connection charge. I've had several attempts to get a stable charge on occasion and will this result in 3 or 4 connection charges for the one 'session'? On cars with larger batteries and needing more will even out the cost but if you have a small battery car then the cost per kWh increases.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Part of me thinks CPS has run it's course. It used to be cohesive system but now councils are all promoting different charging models. Even rapids within the same region charge different prices!? I thought with charging the service would improve but it's still very poor with chargers down for months or persistent faults. I suppose one good thing is if you are desperate for a charge they are pretty much guaranteed to be available. The only public chargers I use now are Pod Point, far better app, and more chargers on a site.

PS What really gets on my goat is if you report a fault they tell you that you should have first checked the app to see if the charger is working!? Often faulty chargers show as working in the app and faulty chargers in the app are actually working!? That's why I don't do long distance as CPS is a crock of s... just like Ecotricity. Rant over, lol.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Ah, right enough. I was alerted to it by a friend, and as I’m not on Twitter I only saw the abbreviated tweet on their website (which was cut off before the “Aberdeen” bit). It’s a bit of a pain, and I’m a bit grumpy at their lack of direct communication on the subject, but it was bound to happen eventually.
When they started charging in my region last Oct. Zero communication bar some docs buried in the council website. Only stickers on the units alerted me the charge had arrived. You'd think being a customer they might email you...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Agree Ian - no connection charge should be the standard. Maybe minimum charge is a bad idea too. Much better if things can be simple and standardised such as 20p/kW with parking sign warning of maximum 45 or 60 minutes while charging.

There are plans here for more charge points. The Scottish Government needs to bring back the CPS network under its wings nationally to standardise policy across the network and improve service delivery standards for maintenance and use. A recent survey I saw gave the CPS network third place in the best charging networks in the UK, another survey put it in 7th place, and if standards of service are up to individual councils, it will only fragment further and slip to the bottom of any survey in future if left to individual councils.

In six months with my EV in the Borders the rapids have been very reliable and well maintained, bar two where they have gone for weeks without working. I find the WattsUp app is very reliable in showing the active status of chargers.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Agree Ian - no connection charge should be the standard. Maybe minimum charge is a bad idea too. Much better if things can be simple and standardised such as 20p/kW with parking sign warning of maximum 45 or 60 minutes while charging.
Do you not think connection charges are beneficial in dissuading people from ”topping up” from a
pretty high SoC and hogging a charger?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Perhaps true. My experience on a few occasions was that two or three attempts were required on some rapids to start the charge session. My worst experience was with Ecotricity where on motorway service station rapid it took me three attempts to start the charge, and 3 x £12 was debited from my bank card, and stayed debited for 8 days!

Perhaps a higher minimum charge would better dissuade high SOC hogging. Better still have the rapid chargers cut out at say 85%, or 60 minutes with an automatic overstay fee as some networks do.

Type 2 chargers could just charge per kW with a parking limit of say 3 hours as many supermarkets do.

Ideally we need CPS card or bank RFID card access to all chargers and just pay for what we use.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I rarely use CPS now because it is so unreliable. Almost exclusively charge at home. When travelling I look at other options ahead of CPS and only use them as a last resort.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
I rarely use CPS now because it is so unreliable. Almost exclusively charge at home. When travelling I look at other options ahead of CPS and only use them as a last resort.

The ones in my area ae super reliable.

So far I've found CPS charges in Dundee, Angus and Fife to be very reliable, although Fife could do with a few more. The Dundee chargers are probably the best in the whole of the UK!

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Perhaps true. My experience on a few occasions was that two or three attempts were required on some rapids to start the charge session. My worst experience was with Ecotricity where on motorway service station rapid it took me three attempts to start the charge, and 3 x £12 was debited from my bank card, and stayed debited for 8 days!

Perhaps a higher minimum charge would better dissuade high SOC hogging. Better still have the rapid chargers cut out at say 85%, or 60 minutes with an automatic overstay fee as some networks do.

Type 2 chargers could just charge per kW with a parking limit of say 3 hours as many supermarkets do.

Ideally we need CPS card or bank RFID card access to all chargers and just pay for what we use.
Ecotricty has nothing to do with CPS. I'm assuming you are confused?

·
Registered
137 Posts

The ones in my area ae super reliable.

So far I've found CPS charges in Dundee, Angus and Fife to be very reliable, although Fife could do with a few more. The Dundee chargers are probably the best in the whole of the UK!
I live in South Lanarkshire and by the looks of it they install them and run away. So hit and miss.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I live in South Lanarkshire and by the looks of it they install them and run away. So hit and miss.
Haha yes, there is a rapid in West Lothian that looks like it has been set on fire but still limps on. If this one went duff there are some occasional journeys that would become near impossible.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I'm East Lothian but also use Edinburgh rapids. Edinburgh mostly free [CPS rapids in council sports centres have a connection fee + kwh/East Lothian now charges as we all know. East Lothian has improved massively over the last year but little use to me as I home charge now there is a cost. Bar pod-point :)

So Edinburgh is where I normally top up on journeys. Their rapids are more unreliable than the weather and many never report the correct status to the app coupled with taxis being left dumped on rapids between shifts! Complaints to CPS fall on deaf ears...

Borders region... There is a rapid others can activate but neither my app or RFID can start it!? Another one ten miles along the road only works with the app, not the RFID card!?

Fife has worked fine for me :)

Overall the biggest complaint with CPS is the location of chargers in say sports centres where they are continually ICE'd or in council car parks where council vehicles can be left blocking rapids evenings and weekends... Getting less of an issue as councils install their own chargers but not enough yet for their fleet so still happens.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts