Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just browsing ZapMap, like you do, and noticed this ChargePoint branded rapid. I’ve never seen one like this before that isn’t connected with Instavolt.

Anyone know more about this? Is ChargePoint intending to create a UK network under its own brand (in addition to Instavolt using ChargePoint units)?

If so, that could be very positive given how well received Instavolt is.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,667 Posts
Chargepoint is a thing in its own right even in the UK. I've used a destination charger of theirs at a train station before, some time ago now. Places wishing to fund and operate their own chargers can do so via a company like Chargepoint.

It may be rare in the UK, but its nothing new.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chargepoint is a thing in its own right even in the UK. I've used a destination charger of theirs at a train station before, some time ago now. Places wishing to fund and operate their own chargers can do so via a company like Chargepoint.

It may be rare in the UK, but its nothing new.
Interestingly, it seems to be almost possible to find on a map where any other ChargePoint branded rapids are. There are no suitable filters in ZapMap or PlugShare, and the ChargePoint app doesn’t even seem to be able to distinguish.

The issue there is that I (and maybe others) set ABRP and ZapMap to filter /prefer chargers on certain networks (eg Instavolt). If I knew where there were other reliable and well designed ChargePoint units that I could use, then I would do so, but as it is it seems discovery of them is based on manually searching maps, or just chance.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,667 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately there's no real way to filter this. You've also got ASDA Stores who are rolling out a mixture of Tritium and Chargepoint Express chargers (the very same as Instavolt again) with direct credit card payments too. Some of them are listed as 'other', some are listed as Electric Blue network (they have installed them as a white label solution for ASDA) and a few are even incorrectly labeled as Polar on Zap Map.

It's just a case of knowing the area, or browsing one by one in a given area on Zap Map.

You could filter zap map to show only chargers that take contactless, but on all networks except for Polar I guess? In my experience that works fairly well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts