Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning, after Polar seem to have added all the CYC charge points to their map, it's also Chargepoint Genie's turn.

Some Source East charge points locations in Southend-on-Sea have shown up as 'Planned for a future date' on Charge Point Genie's map.

SS1 2AS:Seaway Car Park
SS1 2NQ:Warrior Square Car Park
SS1 1PL:Car Park Opposite Sainsbury
SS0 7EL:Hamlet Court Road Car Park

It's no surprise that this is going to happen, after all, Charge Point Services announced long ago that they were going to be doing the operational running of the Source East network.
What's not known is what tariff, if any, is to be applied to these, and will this be done piecemeal on a charge point owner basis, or across the whole Source East network?

Co-incidentally, these locations currently all have Chargemaster-manufactured charge points, with Source East branding and currently accept Source East, Source London and Polar network cards.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Having recently bought a Leaf and living in Cambridge, I'm locked out of the public network thanks to Source East, some of the points (Queen Anne Terrace car park) now shows up on the Polar system, will have to give them a go and see if they work with the Polar app. Hopefully they'll take over the Park and Ride sites too.

I couldn't see any "planned for the future" sockets on the map however, is this just on the Chargepoint Genie website > Live Map?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's in the data that their web map downloads, but the Javascript bits don't display them if they haven't got connectors defined, the filters don't seem to allow the display of planned locations.

Polar Plus cards/ Polar Instant cards / Polar Instant app will work on pretty much every Chargemaster-manufactured post, even the ones on regional schemes, and there's a lot of Chargemaster posts on Source East.
(Though Polar Instant users get stung £1.20 admin fee).

Source London cards should work on all Source East locations, and certainly, it seems that Chargemaster's back-end is up to speed with that these days. However, not all Source East cards seem to have been 'whitelisted' on all the back-ends that do Source London. My Source East card won't work on Siemens or IER charge points on Source London, but works a treat on Chargemaster manufactured posts on Source London.

There's not been any announcement from either Source East or Source London that the roaming that had been set up and well-announced years ago is no longer expected to work, so even though it's no longer clearly on their web sites, it's should still work.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
It's in the data that their web map downloads, but the Javascript bits don't display them if they haven't got connectors defined, the filters don't seem to allow the display of planned locations.

Polar Plus cards/ Polar Instant cards / Polar Instant app will work on pretty much every Chargemaster-manufactured post, even the ones on regional schemes, and there's a lot of Chargemaster posts on Source East.
(Though Polar Instant users get stung £1.20 admin fee).

Source London cards should work on all Source East locations, and certainly, it seems that Chargemaster's back-end is up to speed with that these days. However, not all Source East cards seem to have been 'whitelisted' on all the back-ends that do Source London. My Source East card won't work on Siemens or IER charge points on Source London, but works a treat on Chargemaster manufactured posts on Source London.

There's not been any announcement from either Source East or Source London that the roaming that had been set up and well-announced years ago is no longer expected to work, so even though it's no longer clearly on their web sites, it's should still work.
I'm afraid it's only the source London cards issued pre bollore takeover that work on source east posts. The new generation of source London cards don't.
I got one recently, and tried it. It failed.
Equally, my source east card only works on the non-bollore source London posts.

It's all a bit steaming pile of .... at the minute.
Thankfully, I have cards for most networks still!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm afraid it's only the source London cards issued pre bollore takeover that work on source east posts. The new generation of source London cards don't.
I got one recently, and tried it. It failed.
Equally, my source east card only works on the non-bollore source London posts.

It's all a bit steaming pile of .... at the minute.
Thankfully, I have cards for most networks still!
I have a Source London card issued long after the Bollore takeover, and that works on Source East.
It's worth noting that neither Source London, nor Source East have full, direct control over all the charge points in their network. Due to the legacy of them being built out before proper standards (OCPP,OCHP) were in place, each charge point manufacturer tended to have their own back-end, and each scheme would have to notify the multiple back-ends about each batch of new cards they issue, or in some cases, this was done individually.
That's a lot of places where individual cards can fall between the gaps and get forgotten.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I have a Source London card issued long after the Bollore takeover, and that works on Source East.
It's worth noting that neither Source London, nor Source East have full, direct control over all the charge points in their network. Due to the legacy of them being built out before proper standards (OCPP,OCHP) were in place, each charge point manufacturer tended to have their own back-end, and each scheme would have to notify the multiple back-ends about each batch of new cards they issue, or in some cases, this was done individually.
That's a lot of places where individual cards can fall between the gaps and get forgotten.
My source London card is about 3 weeks old.
My source east/cyc/ecotricity/polar cards are all 30'months old.

In short, it's a flaming shambles, and you are lucky if any cards work !

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Having recently bought a Leaf and living in Cambridge, I'm locked out of the public network thanks to Source East, some of the points (Queen Anne Terrace car park) now shows up on the Polar system, will have to give them a go and see if they work with the Polar app. Hopefully they'll take over the Park and Ride sites too.

I couldn't see any "planned for the future" sockets on the map however, is this just on the Chargepoint Genie website > Live Map?
I have successfully used the Queen Anne Terrace charger using my polar instant card, not tried the app though as I prefer to avoid it when I can.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
My source London card is about 3 weeks old.
My source east/cyc/ecotricity/polar cards are all 30'months old.

In short, it's a flaming shambles, and you are lucky if any cards work !
You're right, it's a complete shambles. How's anyone supposed to know what works where, or if it works with any card?

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
That's largely why I got one of every card :(
It's absolutely crazy having to obtain so many cards and phone apps on the off-chance you may just happen need one, but probably never will!

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,617 Posts
Indeed, even TfL let you use a contactless debit card !
That was an incredibly difficult thing to implement, and very very expensive. A lot more so than simple RFID

·
2,617 Posts
Surely cheaper now that there is a precedent?
Not really, you'd have to go through the same process to create the custom kit for the chargers - integrating the security hardware and software into the front and back ends, and the communications, and passing the accreditations, and making it usable, is not easy! And it's even worse when the device is unattended....

·
Registered
38 Posts
So I turned up to charge in Southend to find all the Polar posts gone and replaced by Chargepoint Genie ones. Couldn't charge as wouldn't accept my Source East card. Is that the end of Source East and now only pay as you go?

Anyone else had any luck charging on the new posts or using their Source East card?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
So I turned up to charge in Southend to find all the Polar posts gone and replaced by Chargepoint Genie ones. Couldn't charge as wouldn't accept my Source East card. Is that the end of Source East and now only pay as you go?

Anyone else had any luck charging on the new posts or using their Source East card?
I haven't come across a chargepoint genie post yet, but presumed that maybe my polar card would work ...?

·
2,617 Posts
I haven't come across a chargepoint genie post yet, but presumed that maybe my polar card would work ...?
I wouldn't have thought so, unless they are manufactured by chargemaster they are two different networks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts