Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I just bought a 2017 i3 (only 13k miles!) and have just installed my ChargePoint Home Flex. I posted this on another forum but realized it's not active (2 threads this year).

I installed this charger at my business and selected "home" during the Chargepoint app setup. For this reason, when I go through the settings for utility pricing I only see residential electricity plans. I called Chargepoint tech support but the lady I spoke with was clueless and did not offer any help (other than telling me to go through the settings and try again). Is there a way to correct this? I tried every link in settings and don't see an option for this.

I installed a 50 amp breaker along with 6 Guage wire. I see the i3 is only capable of 32 amp charging. Is it possible that the i3 may get some sort of firmware upgrade to charging speeds? Not that big of a deal for work since I am there usually all day.

Also, since I am only charging at 32 amps, that is all I'm being charged for by my power company correct? I'm a little confused on how this works since all my other equipment at work needs to have the correct size breakers and wire conductors.

Lastly, what speed are you guys showing for the last 20% charging. I'm showing 11 miles per hour. Is this correct?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3 (120Ah)
999 Posts
32 Amp/7kW is the best the i3 can do on single phase AC. It can do 3x16 Amp 11kW on 3 Phase AC, or much faster with DC Fast charging. But your current setup won't be able to charge your car any faster, and it's not something that can be improved with a software update.

It's good practice to have better wiring than needed for car charging. I'm not too concerned about the bigger breaker either. It sounds fine to me and definitely seems safe. Safer than only just meeting the requirements for a continuous high current flow.

You'll only pay for the power you use. If the car can only charge at up to 7kW then you'll only be paying for up to around 7kWh each hour you're charging at its fastest rate.

As the battery gets closer to full your charge rate will reduce. The last couple of percent will take a long time. You'll find that the predicted time for complete charge on the display is often pessimistic though and you'll often be done sooner.

Regarding tariffs, is there no way to factory reset the charge station and start over with setup?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts