Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Us UK lot are obviously missing the button for the charge port built into the gun that our US cousins get treated to, so looking around I found this:

I was planning on just super gluing it to my cable! Unfortunately they have sold out and no new production planned, anyone else know where to get one ?

·
Soul EV & Tesla Model S
269 Posts
I'm not a 'techy' but isn't it possible to capture the signal with a garage door opener and then play it back? I guess these open all Tesla charge ports so use the same frequency.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not a 'techy' but isn't it possible to capture the signal with a garage door opener and then play it back? I guess these open all Tesla charge ports so use the same frequency.
Great idea, problem is I don't have a source for the signal to capture :( Maybe go to a supercharger and capture it there ?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick update:

I don't need to bother, Tesla have addressed this issue with the latest firmware!! :cool:

Holding down the boot open button for 2+ seconds now opens the charge port.

I'm still leaving it open more frequently than I'd like, but that's another story :oops::D

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
V6.0 (2.0.77)

I didn't spot it in the release notes (the last update just gave me the same stuff as the first v6.0 cut from what I can tell)

Found out "word of mouth" from a random post on TMC.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Yes the v2.x.xx track has this feature, presumably because it was added along with support for the motorised charge door that the D models have.

I don't think it's being pushed out to cars over the air yet, but you'll probably get it if you have a service center visit (or buy a new Model S!). I'm sure we'll all get it soon enough.

FYI there is still one (small) advantage of the separate opener - it will open the charge port door when the car is locked and even when you don't have the key. I frequently come home to find my wife hasn't plugged the car in so having one of these stuck to the front of our charge point is very handy.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FYI there is still one (small) advantage of the separate opener - it will open the charge port door when the car is locked and even when you don't have the key. I frequently come home to find my wife hasn't plugged the car in so having one of these stuck to the front of our charge point is very handy.
I agree, a type 2 cable with integrated opener would be better. (After all this is how the cars were originally supposed to work, jut that feature didn't make it to the EU cars)

Can't see it happening now though, it was hard enough to get one back then, but with this feature I suspect the market for them will really dry up now.

Maybe a learning remote like @Peter Waller suggests, but for me this is close enough.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
I've seen custom-made Type 2 cables with a Tesla chargeport button built in (there's a video on youtube of a Dutch guy unboxing and testing his) but don't know of anyone who has actually gone as far as building and selling them.

The EU/UK Tesla UMC has a button built in.

The advantage of the button built into the cable is that it can perform two different but complementary functions:
1. open the charge port door when you want to plug a cable in [via a radio signal, which the 3rd party chargeport openers emulate]
2. unlock the charge cable when you want to end a charging session and unplug the car [by disconnecting one of the signal pins in the cable which tells the car to stop charging and unlock].

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep both those functions can now be done with the fob.

1) Holding the boot release opens the charge port.
2) Double click to unlock while the car is already unlocked and charging, stops the session and retracts the locking pin.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Yep both those functions can now be done with the fob.

1) Holding the boot release opens the charge port.
2) Double click to unlock while the car is already unlocked and charging, stops the session and retracts the locking pin.
In my experience the double-click-to-unlock only works when the car starts out locked, so you have to remember to do it before you get into range of the walk-up-unlocking function. Once the car has unlocked itself it's too late and you have to fanny around with the centre console or app. In any case it seems pretty flaky.

I'd like to hope they'll standardise on the long-press-on-boot-release-button to perform both functions (and actually start telling users that this feature exists), since there's never any doubt which one you want in a given situation.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In my experience the double-click-to-unlock only works when the car starts out locked, so you have to remember to do it before you get into range of the walk-up-unlocking function. Once the car has unlocked itself it's too late and you have to fanny around with the centre console or app. In any case it seems pretty flaky.

I'd like to hope they'll standardise on the long-press-on-boot-release-button to perform both functions (and actually start telling users that this feature exists), since there's never any doubt which one you want in a given situation.
Completely agree.

I have noticed sometimes depending on the order of events the thing is flaky like you suggest. I've found if the double press doesn't initially work, opening the rear passenger door, then press the double lock and it works. :confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts