Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody update me please? Which card(s) or apps are required for the chargers in Scotland? I'm planning my 1st trip up in an EV next month and want to make sure I'm covered for rapid charger access.
I know CYC used to be the best card to have up there but since the network changed to Chargeplace Scotland (?) I've heard that the CYC cards were all replaced. Or, is that just for Scottish owners? Can I still use my CYC card?
Also, since CYC are now part of the Chargemaster group would I be able to use my Polar Plus card in Scotland?

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,318 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
There are a few Ecotricity chargers too, along the main routes, so you might want to have their app installed on your phone. Of course, the Chargeplace Scotland chargers are a better option since almost all of them are free.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are a few Ecotricity chargers too, along the main routes, so you might want to have their app installed on your phone. Of course, the Chargeplace Scotland chargers are a better option since almost all of them are free.
Thanks. I've been using the EH since I got the car in 2015 so I have that particular t-shirt (well, the app and the redundant rfid card). I was wanting to ensure I had access to the rest of the Scottish network!

·
Registered
610 Posts
and no. Polar Plus cards will not work on Chargeplace Scotland (as CYC is now known north of the border) points.
Not so. Semantic perhaps, but the Scottish Government has only given CYC back office functions, they neither operate, maintain or repair the national network. This may well change to a different backoffice operator, but most definitely it means CPS is not the 'new name' for `CYC in Scotland.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Some posts still require a CYC Card. I applied via CYC's website a few weeks back and the new card issued is Chargepoint Scotland. Other posts can use the CYC App or card I believe. Most are still free but some, such as hospitals, charge per kW used (Victoria Hospital, Kirkcaldy for example 0.12p per kW). In Fife there are a few Rapids but the majority are 7kW posts along with some 22kW. Most CYC Rapid posts have CHAdeMO, CCS and Type 2 43kW points. In my local area (NE Fife) there are a few out of order. I think you need a Scottish post code to get a new card though. Not so sure. As for the app I guess its easier as you just register accordingly. Zap-Map seems to be accurate in my area with serviceability issues and availability etc.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,734 Posts
This may well change to a different backoffice operator, but most definitely it means CPS is not the 'new name' for `CYC in Scotland.
Its not just end users that don't understand, Polar added all the Scottish posts when they land grabbed CYC. My guess is Transport Scotland told them in no uncertain terms to get them removed as they have no right whatsoever to them.

CPS is owned by Transport Scotland, it is currently administered by CYC.

In my local area (NE Fife) there are a few out of order.
Log a call with CPS and Fife Council will get them fixed pretty quick.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Not so. Semantic perhaps, but the Scottish Government has only given CYC back office functions, they neither operate, maintain or repair the national network. This may well change to a different backoffice operator, but most definitely it means CPS is not the 'new name' for `CYC in Scotland.
Back office functions.. which is approximately what CYC do in the rest of the UK anyway. They don't have teams of their own engineers, but they do have contact details and lists of support contracts, and will lodge service requests where support contract details are known.

Yes, I agree that the Scottish Government deal with CYC is slightly different to the rest of the UK, and the Scottish Government are funding the Chargepoint Scotland scheme in a quite benevolent way, and it is indeed 'partitioned' from the rest of the CYC network with paper walls. I guess the serial numbers of the new cards issued to scottish drivers were in a different range than the rest of the CYC cards, to make it easier to switch back-end providers in future should the Scottish Government decide to do so - of course, in an ideal world then if they do choose to switch back-end providers, then nobody will notice the difference because of course we'd all have transparent roaming between backend operators.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I know CYC used to be the best card to have up there but since the network changed to Chargeplace Scotland (?) I've heard that the CYC cards were all replaced. Or, is that just for Scottish owners? Can I still use my CYC card?
Also, since CYC are now part of the Chargemaster group would I be able to use my Polar Plus card in Scotland?
Just to confirm that Polar users do not have access to the ChargePlace Scotland network. You would need to use either a CYC card, the App or the IVR phone line to access these charge points.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to confirm that Polar users do not have access to the ChargePlace Scotland network. You would need to use either a CYC card, the App or the IVR phone line to access these charge points.
Thank you.
Really looking forward to our holiday in the Cairngorms next month. I'll make sure to pack my CYC card!

·
Zoe Devotee
8,734 Posts
Don't expect to use the one at Cairngorm itself (not CYC) it's not worked since 2015. :(

You'll find Aviemore one very busy.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
@Grum If your coming into Dundee from the Perth direction I recommend using the Ice Arena Rapid. Just off the A90 as you come into Dundee. Its at the rear of the Ice Arena.

@Sandy I heard they are currenly adding a Rapid at Aviemore.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,734 Posts
@Grum If your coming into Dundee from the Perth direction I recommend using the Ice Arena Rapid. Just off the A90 as you come into Dundee. Its at the rear of the Ice Arena.

@Sandy I heard they are currenly adding a Rapid at Aviemore.

A second rapid? Interesting. Could do with some 7kw posts dotted around for over nighters.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
A second rapid? Interesting. Could do with some 7kw posts dotted around for over nighters.
Apologies its Pitlochry they are adding to not Aviemore, senior moment :giggle:

·
Zoe Devotee
8,734 Posts
Ah I knew about that, Siemens unit, so hopefully full 43kW and not 12kW like the evolt.

I'm off up there again this summer so look forward to a short stop this time, rather than almost not arriving either direction last year. :eek:

Really hope Renault do something for existing owners over 41kwh pack as then I can do the relatively short trip without needing to stop.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts