Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
First post so apologies if I break etiquette or have echoed another thread (I did run a search on here and Google but to no avail!)

I’m looking at trading my ICE in for an EV, however am having difficulties with where I would install a home charger.
The best option for me would be by the driveway; however between my wall and my drive is my neighbour’s drive... meaning I would need to trail the cable across his side to reach my car. (Newbuild home logic! Woo)

For the most part I can’t see this being an issue as my neighbour is so laid back he’s falling over; plus also he doesn’t really use the drive anyway. But, should he sell the house it could cause issue.

What if any legal protection/indemnity should I seek? Or what steps should I take just so I’m not encroaching on my neighbour’s property when it comes to charging?

I have seen news articles on Google which suggest that - for cables which cross over pavements in the U.K. you’re alright just to put a hi-viz cable protector down. Would this apply?
Any help greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
iD.3 Family, Moonstone Grey. (On order)
202 Posts
I can't get my head around the wall/driveway issue. Is your neighbour's driveway between your driveway and your house?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,963 Posts
If you need to cross your neighbour's drive then you need to gain a legal document confirming that right. However it may not be as simple as gaining his agreement as if the property is mortgaged the lender may want a say. As you say, aren't house developers marvellous.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you need to cross your neighbour's drive then you need to gain a legal document confirming that right. However it may not be as simple as gaining his agreement as if the property is mortgaged the lender may want a say. As you say, aren't house developers marvellous.
Thank you - I’ll perhaps investigate further both with the neighbour and with legal advice also.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I wouldn’t mess about. Get permission from your neighbour to dig a trench, run your supply cable, in a conduit, under their drive to a fixed point at the top of your drive and install your charger there, on a post. And then pay a solicitor to amend your (and their) deeds to say you have this access right to maintain your cable for perpetuity/the the end of your leasehold.

Even the most pleasant, relaxed, neighbour can turn into a monster later on. Or, they might move And your new neighbours may not be happy with a cable dragging across their drive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts