Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to the community and looking for some general advise.

I am looking at the model long range via a company car, but have been abit lost in the search for a home charging unit, so was wondering what yoh guys would advise, as there seems to be a an ocean to chose from.

Additional, my drive is at the end of the garden, so unfortunately the standard cables which come with these won't be sufficient, I estimate I would need a 15m cable. Any one have a similar set up?

Many thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi. Firstly, if your drive is at the end of the garden is it not possible to run an armoured cable from the house to where the car is parked so the charger can go there? A 15m charge cable (if available) would be a massive ball-ache to work with. I have two Zappi chargers - one at my office and one at home. The one at home is untethered but I rarely use it. The one at my office is tethered and I have to say, if I had got an untethered one I would have gone mad! The best way to work with an EV is to just charge it whenever it is parked up rather than do what you would have done with your ICE car and fill it up, wait until it is low on fuel and then refill it. So to be able to pull into my parking space, hop out, plug in and walk off is so much easier than fiddling about getting a cable out of the car. Doesn't sound like much but when you do it every day it makes a difference (and that's with a 5m cable, not 15!). My tethered Zappi is about 20 meters from the building - they ran an armoured cable under the turf with no real difficulty. It sits on a post in the car park. The cable wraps neatly around the charger itself.

I've had no issues with my Zappi chargers and can gladly recommend although I think there are several alternatives which would do just as well. But my main advice is try and find a way around having to wrestle with a dirty 15ft cable in all sorts of weather! Hope that helps?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. Firstly, if your drive is at the end of the garden is it not possible to run an armoured cable from the house to where the car is parked so the charger can go there? A 15m charge cable (if available) would be a massive ball-ache to work with. I have two Zappi chargers - one at my office and one at home. The one at home is untethered but I rarely use it. The one at my office is tethered and I have to say, if I had got an untethered one I would have gone mad! The best way to work with an EV is to just charge it whenever it is parked up rather than do what you would have done with your ICE car and fill it up, wait until it is low on fuel and then refill it. So to be able to pull into my parking space, hop out, plug in and walk off is so much easier than fiddling about getting a cable out of the car. Doesn't sound like much but when you do it every day it makes a difference (and that's with a 5m cable, not 15!). My tethered Zappi is about 20 meters from the building - they ran an armoured cable under the turf with no real difficulty. It sits on a post in the car park. The cable wraps neatly around the charger itself.

I've had no issues with my Zappi chargers and can gladly recommend although I think there are several alternatives which would do just as well. But my main advice is try and find a way around having to wrestle with a dirty 15ft cable in all sorts of weather! Hope that helps?
Thanks for the advise, never really thought of going undergroud.. With all this being new, my thought process is still trying to understand the whole process!!

Did the installation team sort complete this, or was it something you had to have done prior to them visiting

Regards

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the advise, never really thought of going undergroud.. With all this being new, my thought process is still trying to understand the whole process!!

Did the installation team sort complete this, or was it something you had to have done prior to them visiting

Regards
They did it all for me. They did give me the option of doing some of the prep work myself to save costs which I might have done if it had been at home but as it was at the office I just got them to do it. I'd suggest you find a recommended local installer and get them out to take a look at the job and they can advise on the best options for you and depending on how practical you are you may be able to do some of the ground work (if required) to save on costs.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I went for Rolec, you can get one directly from their website, UK company too. Their installer was super easy to work with. The sparky I got to quote from myenergi registered installers (myenergi website) was a comedian he wanted four times the price of the Rolec install, ~£1558 including grant vs £360 with grant from Rolec. The Zappi isn't a cheap option, maybe justified if you have Solar although I think the financials are pretty marginal, you also need to consider your privacy, the Myenergi app / web server suddenly knows your whole home energy consumption habits and therefore when you are there and when you are not. Nearly up there with putting on facebook look I'm on holiday my home is empty drop by... Of course lots of people are cool with this these days.

You probably want to set up a post at the end of the garden and run an underground cable expect it to be a bit pricey because of that, sparkies aren't into digging so you can expect some stupid quotes cos they don't want to do the work. I'd also say tethered is the best approach. The other thing about the Rolec one is if you look at the guts it's easy to replace anyone bit, they are all off the shelf on a couple of bus bars. In comparison the Zappi, pod point etc have customer circuit boards so if it breaks out of warranty then you are looking at a replacement unit, and they ain't cheap, alas no one solders a new bit in these days. There are also lots of other good options for chargers I'd say but the units seem to have crept up in price a lot and are trying to be a little bit too clever in some cases.

·
Registered
140 Posts
A low cost option - The umc charger which comes with the car is good for up to 32a with suitable adaptor (from tesla ~£40) and you will find the flap button invaluable! You will still need the same cable install and for that distance and cable size it should be 10mm sq. conductors straight to the distribution board (assuming that is included in your distance). The umc/socket should be protected from the weather, have you a shed or garage you can use?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts