Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

How long is it reasonable to block a charger once you have finished charging?

• 10 minutes

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • 30 minutes

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 1 hour

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 2 hours

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 6 hours

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All day

Votes: 4 17.4%
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the downsides of per-kWh charging is that there is no incentive to move on once your charge has completed.

In the absence of any other incentive, how long is it reasonable to block a charger once you have completed charging? (Assume a single 32A charger with some reasonable amount of demand.)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
That would depend on the charger location and the time of day.

I am eagerly awaiting the installation of some 7kw charge points near my daughter's house. My wife and I quite often spend the night there and it will be more convenient for me to charge there overnight than drive out to a motorway service area, charge up, and use 15% of the charge driving back to my daughter's.

If I get there at about 10pm and start charging, it will finish by 2am. I wouldn't be expecting to get out of bed to take the car off charge. I'd go round between 7 and 8 am to take it off.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depends entirely where it is. I'd gladly park all day in a space in certain areas of Milton Keynes, or park and rides and other long term car parks.
Even if there was only a single charger or reasonable demand?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Even if there was only a single charger or reasonable demand?
What does that mean? If a park and ride had one charger and I was the first one there, I wouldn't plan to go back before my day was over, or expect anyone else to do the same for me if I arrived 2nd, 3rd or whatever.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Yes. But it really does depend where it is and what I'm doing. But honestly when it comes to charging away from home I'll park as I would whether plugged in or not, so shops for as long as I'm shopping, office for how long I'm working and so on.

Unless I know someone else needs it more than I do and I can get back sharpish.

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
I have answered all day, but the question is asked in a way that can't be accuratly answered.

When I park at the railway station I leave the car all day as I am a train ride away from my car and why put a charger at a railway station if you don't except it to be used as a parking space.

When I park at the park and ride its the same again.

When I park at a NCP etc then same again.

If I park at a pub/restaurant/cinima/theater/etc then I park for as long as need to be away, again don't put charger in locations if you don't want people "blocking" them.

If I park at a hotel again the space is mine as long as I want it, day or night don't ask me to wake up because the car has finished charging. I have paid and booked for a room and space, so unless the hotel says they have another guest staying who needs the space, its mine. (if another guest needed to share I would ask to talk to them to work out the best for both of us)

At the other end of the scale a Rapid should never be blocked, if you are away for your car for more than coffee/food and pee then you are away to long, ie much more than 15 mins from the start of your charge.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Yes...and I think this is something it may be in all of our interests to reflect on as the number of ev's takes off.

If we treat the ev space as though it were an ordinary space there is the danger of bottlenecks. Of people needing a charge not being able to access it despite the infrastructure being available and in use.

Perhaps this looks different from the Milton Keynes perspective where there are numerous chargers compared to places like Shropshire where there are a precious handful.

Sadly I think this will need enforcing ultimately as parking does now. If you are plugged in and your charge has finished AND where your car is stops another car charging then a fine can be levied.

This may be inconvient to the person charging / charged. But there will need to be some management of this finite resource if it is not to be wasted in my opinion

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Then I'd just not go to that place.

If it's not a literal "no brainer" to slow charge at a destination then I won't charge there. I'll either park in a regular spot, or just go somewhere else and park and charge.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
I agree with other comments. It depends on where it is, what time it is, likely demand and what I'm doing.

As an example, I often use Yarm railway station car park near Teesside. Car park is free, has about 40 spaces in it and two 7kW chargers, only one of which has a dedicated EV parking bay.
Car park is often close to full, sometimes it is full (eg Monday mornings). Other times it's practically empty. The dedicated EV space is never ICE'd.
So I arrive with my ZOE and plug-in in 'my' dedicated space (I've never seen another EV in the car park, nor nearby). I catch the same commuter trains as most others using the car park and return at the same time later that day. Does it matter that my car is fully charged by say 1pm? No one else needs the charger and there's another charger anyway.

... But what if I don't really need a charge (say I'm at 60% when I arrive, which is easily enough to get home). Do I charge anyway and leave a premium non EV space for ICE cars? Or do I leave the EV spaces clear and occupy one of the other bays - knowing that to do so will probably (at least at times) mean someone else is denied a space.
... And what if i'm away overnight? Then where should I park?...

You can probably tell that I really have wrestled with these issues. My solution? I deliberately aim to arrive with a low SOC so that I feel justified in plugging in, and only do so if I'm only away for the day. If I'm away overnight I 'EV' an ICE space.
What would you do?

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
Yes...and I think this is something it may be in all of our interests to reflect on as the number of ev's takes off.

If we treat the ev space as though it were an ordinary space there is the danger of bottlenecks. Of people needing a charge not being able to access it despite the infrastructure being available and in use.

Perhaps this looks different from the Milton Keynes perspective where there are numerous chargers compared to places like Shropshire where there are a precious handful.

Sadly I think this will need enforcing ultimately as parking does now. If you are plugged in and your charge has finished AND where your car is stops another car charging then a fine can be levied.

This may be inconvient to the person charging / charged. But there will need to be some management of this finite resource if it is not to be wasted in my opinion

What would you do then if like my wife you charge at the train station, I don't think for one second there is a single person who would return at lunch time to move their car.
Don't put chargers in places that are for parking if you don't want people to park in them.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is a strange 'it's my dedicated charger' thing going on here.

How do you all know nobody else turns up later?

And yes, I do return and move my car when staying in a hotel. I thought everyone did :(

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
There is a strange 'it's my dedicated charger' thing going on here.

How do you all know nobody else turns up later?

And yes, I do return and move my car when staying in a hotel. I thought everyone did :(
What about train stations or park and ride?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
You don't. Why put a charger in an all day or overnight spot if it's only for short term usage?

And if the parking space limitations don't match the most common usage patterns, then they're far less likely to be used at all (eg a park and ride with short term parking only).

1 - 20 of 89 Posts