Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've seen many photos of peoples home charger installations but I don't think I've seen another like mine, the installer put an earth cable down the wall into the ground via a PIN.

Is this absolutely necessary? He said it is there in case the neutral drops at the exchange(thats my word, can't remember the electric equivalent), I know the home charger isn't the most attractive thing anyway, the addition of another wire, green and yellow,

Attachments

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
There is something in the regs that says that external units must have a certain earthing type otherwise an additional ground spike is required. No idea of the details, but this could be one of these cases...

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,074 Posts
Originally the regulations said there had to be an earth spike as the car was 'an external installation'.

However, around the time of my installation the regs had just changed so there was some confusion at the time. I recall having a long discussion about what it meant with the installer, who clarified by saying that so long as the neutral-distribution star-earth round trip was so-many ohms, there was no need, however if the voltage drop was too high then it was a safety matter to include a local earth.

... or something like that, don't hold me to it!! ;)

Anyhow, maybe here the installer decided that the characteristics of the local mains meant that a local earth was desirable.

I am sure the essential comment is; - you won't normally need it, but you might!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great thanks for your replies.

I will not go and find some cable conduit to hide it now. :)

·
Registered
531 Posts
If the installer was worried about the Neutral dropping at the sub station leaving you at risk, then that would suggest you have a TN-C electrical system at your home where the Neutral & Earth come in to the property on the same conductor as opposed to the more common TN-S, where the Neutral & Earth use seperate conductors. Both work fine if everything is as it should be, but an Earth rod will give you an added layer of protection under fault conditions.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello,

I've seen many photos of peoples home charger installations but I don't think I've seen another like mine, the installer put an earth cable down the wall into the ground via a PIN.

Is this absolutely necessary? He said it is there in case the neutral drops at the exchange(thats my word, can't remember the electric equivalent), I know the home charger isn't the most attractive thing anyway, the addition of another wire, green and yellow,
This wire looks really thin? Most sparkys would fit some means of mechanical protection around earth rod cables, plus it looks pants! also fitting earth rods if not done correctly can be just as dangerous as fitting direct to the main earth terminal (if its too close to buried pipes or cables also connected to a PME), unfortunately most sparkys have no formal training on earth rod fitment, just knocking a rod into the ground and expecting it to be safer is unacceptable, did they use a scanner to make sure there were no underground services close to the rod? rule of thumb is nothing within 2 metres!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts