Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I decided to give the MG another chance with a long journey. It was a disaster in a new way- has anyone else experienced the same?

It took six rapid charges to do the 260 mile round trip, as the car sent multiple rapid chargers into “emergency stop.”

I was sat in the car with the heating on when the first failure happened. The car suddenly cut out with a “HV battery disconnected” error. At the same time the charger warned “emergency stop” and could not be reset.

Three more chargers failed, two immediately on plugging in and one after a few minutes. In all there were three different types.

I staggered home with ten miles left, I didn’t want to risk knocking out another charger.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

·
Registered
161 Posts
No can’t say I have. Mostly because I rarely find a public charger that works lol.

See what others say but maybe you need to speak to your dealer.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have done 12 rapid charges in the past few weeks. A polar charger kicked me off early but that was a charger issue. Otherwise it has been flawless and largely fast. Looking at your other posts I would recommend you visit your dealer, it looks like your software could do with some attention

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just south of Edinburgh to Cambridge today. Story was ...

First charger Pontefract Charge Your Car - excellent.
Second charger Wetherby Services Ecotricity - CCS broken! Three chargers but only one with CCS connector. 9% battery at start .
Third charger Boston Spa car park. Engie - received 1kWh in 18 minutes! 8% battery at start to ?.
Fourth charger Lidl Garforth Leeds 1kWh in 20 minutes. Pod Point, huh! 3% battery at start to 6%.

Lucky I have my panic buy toilet paper with me!

Fifth charger Halfords Leeds. 2 x Instavolt excellent! 46kWh charge rate. 6% battery at start to 81%.
Sixth charger Shell Recharge Newark. 50kWh charge rate but never dropped to below 36kWh until 80% then dropped rapidly to 17kWh. 30% battery at start to 82%.
Seventh Peterborough Orton Centre excellent. 43% battery at start - 83% in 30 minutes. Two chargers working well and round the corner two Instavolt chargers about to go live at Starbucks.

Journey took eleven hours mainly due to the Leeds area problems. The car can therefore charge at 50kWh plus on a good day. The future of EV driving now rests in the hands of responsible charging networks. Ecotricty seems to be the worst of a bad bunch.

Horay for Shell Recharge and Engenie.

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
981 Posts
Today I decided to give the MG another chance with a long journey. It was a disaster in a new way- has anyone else experienced the same?

It took six rapid charges to do the 260 mile round trip, as the car sent multiple rapid chargers into “emergency stop.”

I was sat in the car with the heating on when the first failure happened. The car suddenly cut out with a “HV battery disconnected” error. At the same time the charger warned “emergency stop” and could not be reset.

Three more chargers failed, two immediately on plugging in and one after a few minutes. In all there were three different types.

I staggered home with ten miles left, I didn’t want to risk knocking out another charger.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
As far as I was aware, a vehicle couldn't even trigger an emergency stop. Only the big red button should theoretically cause that. The car normally would just refuse a charge and trigger either "Charger Error" or "Session ended by vehicle"

Even with the MG which doesn't appear to have the greatest track record so far, it shouldn't be doing this especially at 3 different chargers consecutively.

As has been suggested above, you need to take it back to the dealer to get it checked out thoroughly. There's either some bad software, or some hardware failure somewhere that you're encountering when plugging in to a DC charger.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Is it possible there's corrosion in the CCS connectors on the vehicle causing the problem?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Is it possible there's corrosion in the CCS connectors on the vehicle causing the problem?
Unlikely to be the car. More likely faulty chargers. 3 on the trot is not unusual. I have had exactly that with my I-Pace and ended up getting the AA to get me to a working charger.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unlikely to be the car. More likely faulty chargers. 3 on the trot is not unusual. I have had exactly that with my I-Pace and ended up getting the AA to get me to a working charger.
In four years and 50000 miles of electric driving, I had never had this before. And it's still only happening with the MG, despite me doing far more miles in the Leaf, using many of the same chargers :(

It's going back to the garage today, but I am not holding out too much hope.

·
Registered
276 Posts
In four years and 50000 miles of electric driving, I had never had this before. And it's still only happening with the MG, despite me doing far more miles in the Leaf, using many of the same chargers :(

It's going back to the garage today, but I am not holding out too much hope.
The Leaf does not use CCS - so not the same charger.

I can assure you that the older CCS chargers and all Ecotricity CCS chargers will have issues. New CCS chargers at Shell appear to be fine - not had an issue with the ZS EV or the I-Pace on those.

However, I recently had an issue with an Ecotricity charger that caused a lot of errors on my ZS EV and the dealer refreshed the software after the AA got me and car back home. I don't use Ecotricity any more with the ZS EV.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,114 Posts
So did the chargers recover or did you leave a trail of destruction behind you? :eek::oops:

Reactions: Spike and rogerdee

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Definitely worth retrying with a different make of charge point.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So did the chargers recover or did you leave a trail of destruction behind you? :eek::oops:
A trail of destruction :(. I tried to reset them, but they ended up in a "engineers have been called" mode. Sorry to whoever was following me on the M6 and M62! I did put the failures on plugshare to warn other drivers.

I wasn't just repeating the same failure every time, I was trying different charger manufacturers on different networks in the hope the MG might just have a problem with a particular type.

I don't understand how some posters can state it is a problem with the chargers and the car is fine! If a car doesn't work with that number of chargers of different manufacturers and networks, and the charger works fine with other cars, then the logical conclusion is...

·
Zoe Devotee
9,114 Posts
This very much reminds me of early days Zoe and EH chargers.

Wonder if its similar.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
235 Posts
Dropped my car in for a look over today and talked to the service manager about this. By his own admission he is not an EV expert, good of him to say, but he said that they had looked at 10 cars with reported charging issues, 1 was an issue with the car and the others were either user or infrastructure issues.

I routinely use 5 different rapids when I go to see my kids.
Polar Newport Holiday Inn - very fast, around 47Kw, but kicks me off after about 30 mins, always does this
BP Malpas Road - slowest I have tried, and expensive
Ecotricity Cardiff Gate - Reliable, fast, around 44Kw, and has always been working. Love this charger
Silverstone Green Energy Nant-y-Ci - Reliable and fast. Not expensive and not too busy
Ecotricity Strensham Norhing - as for Cardiff gate, fast and reliable.

I don't tend to stay in the car and if I do I don't have anything on. Why tempt fate?

Due to the demand for these cars some dealerships are installing rapids rather than leaving customers limping off the forecourt on the delivery charge. Should help to iron out any rapid charge related issues for cars.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dropped my car in for a look over today and talked to the service manager about this. By his own admission he is not an EV expert, good of him to say, but he said that they had looked at 10 cars with reported charging issues, 1 was an issue with the car and the others were either user or infrastructure issues.

I routinely use 5 different rapids when I go to see my kids.
Polar Newport Holiday Inn - very fast, around 47Kw, but kicks me off after about 30 mins, always does this
BP Malpas Road - slowest I have tried, and expensive
Ecotricity Cardiff Gate - Reliable, fast, around 44Kw, and has always been working. Love this charger
Silverstone Green Energy Nant-y-Ci - Reliable and fast. Not expensive and not too busy
Ecotricity Strensham Norhing - as for Cardiff gate, fast and reliable.

I don't tend to stay in the car and if I do I don't have anything on. Why tempt fate?

Due to the demand for these cars some dealerships are installing rapids rather than leaving customers limping off the forecourt on the delivery charge. Should help to iron out any rapid charge related issues for cars.
What a surprise that the car dealer "confirmed" the numerous number of customers reporting chargong problems, to be someone else's problem and nothing to do with their cars! I am glad too that you enjoy getting out of the car or keeping everything turned off.

I expect the car to work as advertised, without a requirement to stand outside in the rain so as not to upset it during its delicate charge cycle! I use the time to catch up on missed calls, conference calls etc. I wonder whether you will be as flexible when charging in a deserted car park in wind and rain. The car gets cold pretty quickly.

Having driven electric cars for four years, they have worked flawlessly, the odd dodgy charger notwithstanding, which Plugshare allows us to avoid. Irrespective of sitting in the car, leaving the car, summer, winter, rain or shine.

The MG has been the other way round. And because most drivers on Plugshare don't drive MGs, the fact it is shown as working flawlessly means nothing for me.

The dealer still have my car and haven't even looked at it yet. I have no doubt that they too will declare the problem to be all the chargers that are faulty (yet working fine for non-MGs). The question is what to do next.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Perhaps you need more data, see if any other chargers stop on you. I admit that I am one of the lucky ones, consistently good charging speeds and no charging issues. I too use the time to catch up on work but tend to enjoy the warmth of the service station for that activity. 1am in a deserted car park in the middle of nowhere is the only time I stay in the car. On a 240 mile drive the chance to get out and stretch my legs is very nice indeed.

I also think we all need to expect more from the dealers. I dropped mine off this morning and told them I would be back this afternoon after my meetings. No ifs, not buts, no coconuts. I am definitely not disputing that there may be an issue with your car but as with every investigation replication is key. Hopefully the dealer will take yours to the nearest rapid, break the charger and then concede the issue. If they don't I would question what they hell they have done to identify it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Perhaps you need more data, see if any other chargers stop on you. I admit that I am one of the lucky ones, consistently good charging speeds and no charging issues. I too use the time to catch up on work but tend to enjoy the warmth of the service station for that activity. 1am in a deserted car park in the middle of nowhere is the only time I stay in the car. On a 240 mile drive the chance to get out and stretch my legs is very nice indeed.

I also think we all need to expect more from the dealers. I dropped mine off this morning and told them I would be back this afternoon after my meetings. No ifs, not buts, no coconuts. I am definitely not disputing that there may be an issue with your car but as with every investigation replication is key. Hopefully the dealer will take yours to the nearest rapid, break the charger and then concede the issue. If they don't I would question what they hell they have done to identify it.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,114 Posts
the others were either user or infrastructure issues.

Here in lies the issue. The MG has proven to be affordable and had the range that new users want as a minimum so there is a lot of first time EV owners buying the MG. A lot of them on the FB group, those obviously ask the daft questions that everyone asks at the beginning and get the help they need. But a lot who don't go online will return worriedly to the dealer with a "fault".

And before anyone says "oh the dealer didn't train them right". That's not really for the dealer to teach an owner the quirks of every charger and charging network.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
Yeah, it is a very steep learning curve and if you're not tech savvy or follow the forums there's very little help. :( I speak with a lot of folk at the club who are interested, but getting them to come with me to a charger is another thing all together.

Reactions: Sandy
1 - 20 of 44 Posts