Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weird - the charger flap on my 2018 i3S has started making a loud grinding noise each time I open it.
Since I suspect there will be some kind of safety interlock, and the grinding noise is coming from a damaged catch, perhaps, I'm thinking I had better get it looked at pretty soon.
Has anyone else experienced this or has an idea what the problem might be?

Thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No-one come across this? It seems like some kind of small electric motor whirring - presumably as part of the closure for the flap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
On the Facebook i3 group I have seen several reports of the small electric motor that controls the door locking mechanism go bad due to rust/corrosion, I'm sure it would be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
453 Posts
On a related topic, when it rains and you've got the charge cover open .. what happens to the rain water that falls through the hole where the catch itself sits?!
Why did no-one design a watertight docking system yet ..?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: had this fixed under warranty today. Seems the motor which resets the flap catch had developed a fault. Replacement needs the car on a hoist with the rear wheel removed, in order to gain access.
BMW dealer said they have seen "2 or 3 cases" so far. So if it happens to you, you know what it is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts