Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a solution where a single home charger can serve multiple users while measuring consumption per user?
There are measuring charging boxes some with RFID, but all are single user

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Maybe the podpoint workplace system, but that seems rather an overkill.

How about getting a 3.7kw charger for each housemate, each connected via its own sub meter?

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,873 Posts
electric coin slot meter in a cabinet next to the charge point. The Ev owners adds coins for the duration they need. The person paying for the electric then collects the coins. Minimum payment is £1 so this could give 20Kwh on the Octopus Go tariff. Any unused payment would have to be donated to the next user.

Tarfiff is adjustable.

I think with some, you pay for a time, rather than kWhs. so you could set it at for example, £1 for 3hours.
Time is adjustable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Podpoint doesn't seem to have a representative in Sweden, and coins are almost non existent here 😀
We plan on having 22kw chargers, but some owners don't even have an EV yet so we are trying to keep the costs down while giving good service to those who need it.

Anyway the tip about looking for workplace systems yielded a few candidates I am going to check, thanks!

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have a Wallbox Pulsar Plus and in the web interface there's a load of stuff about users, I thought it might apply for my charger but it is only on a couple of other models:

The Commander 2 Wallbox Commander 2 | Fast and powerful charger (Swedish Link)
The Copper SB Copper SB - EV Chargers (Swedish Link)

Both of these you can assign users with RFID cards or control through the app however that might work, I think the Commander has a screen so you can enter a PIN.

Then the usage of the different users can be monitored through the web interface.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Copper SB doesn't seem to have multi user support, or maybe the site is not informative enough

·
Registered
433 Posts
I think it does, at least on the UK site it says "Secure shared access through the use of RFID cards, or the myWallbox app." and has a tick under RFID cards on the comparison table, so I think it should have that functionality.

The commander looks more flexible, having the screen, I also think a tethered cable is probably best (as long as you are all on Type 2 of course). But perhaps in your situation a socket may be preferable?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Strange, the Swedish site have different text.
Most of us don't own an EV yet, does it mean a socket would be better?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Probably not, there are some earlier EVs that have a different socket "Type 1", e.g. Nissan Leaf 24kWh and 30kWh. However the vast majority have the same socket, "Type 2". If none of you have EVs yet, unless you are planning on buying an earlier model rather than a newer model, you would not need a socket.

A tethered charge cable is easier than each user having to get their cable out the car, then plugging in at both ends. So I would suggest a tethered charger.

I think you can also get a converter cable like this so if someone did end up buying an early Nissan Leaf they would just have to use this cable when they charge, if you got a tethered charger.

·
Registered
Zoe R110
423 Posts
It's not a cheap solution but a Zappi monitors the house supply to make sure it doesn't overload the supply.

Tethered is the better home solution though. I cant imagine having to the get the cable out of the boot every time, that would wear thin real quick.
However a row of untethered unit would probably be the neater solution otherwise you may end up with a lot cables on the house. All installation dependant though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm, the Zappi doesn't have multi user support.
Other chargers have different kinds of load balancing among themselves and the house but we probably have enough reserves to not need it

·
Registered
Zoe R110
423 Posts
Ah, sorry, for some reason I ignored that part of your request. Doh!
I read it as if you wanted multi chargers, with single users each. What a plum.

Reactions: Rsf

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a newmotion charger fitted and one thing it can do is allow you to set it up to work with other shell rfid cards, you then have a choice of reimbursement or not. It can take care of the billing for the electric usage, although that might not fit here since the entire bill will fall to the tenants anyway, but it would collect the money for charging at least. I haven't actually used it yet though so can't see what the dashboard will tell, but I do know you can set controls of which cards are allowed to start a charge. No app or scheduled charging though, only managed via a web dashboard. The home advanced does 3 phase natively though so would deliver the 22kw.

I'll know more next week once I get my car

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,339 Posts
My son's company fitted a charge point with its own meter. They then take a 'phone pic of the start and end readings of each of their sessions and store the pics in a folder. Then each employee using that charge point just reports to the beancounters the total units they have logged over all their sessions in that month. Simple - but relies on trust.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It’s a small Swedish suburb so trust is not a problem, but it’s prone to human error and hard to do in -20c snow storm

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,339 Posts
It’s a small Swedish suburb so trust is not a problem, but it’s prone to human error and hard to do in -20c snow storm
The odd error may creep in of course but in their agreement any shortfall in the total meter reading that month that shows up when all of their reported use figures are added together, then they all agree to just share out that shortfall between all of them pro rata.

So that if the meter says that 3000 units have been used that month but the total of all reports only adds to 2900 then the 100 shortfall is shared out between them all and they pay a small amount extra.

So far it has not been necessary to do that as nobody is prepared to attempt a freebie charge and cause internal unpleasantness. It has proved to be a cheap and effective solution to multiple use.

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
606 Posts
The Zappi will show the daily consumption and a graph of power against time in the Myenergi app. One difficulty would be if multiple users charge on the same day, but if everyone is reasonable it could still work.
I dont have a Zappi but do have the app as I have an Eddi, so any Zappi users please expand or correct.
Myenergi are very keen to add extra features to their app and software and I am sure they would respond to any request you make to them.

·
Registered
Zoe R110
423 Posts
Interesting idea but you'd only get that day or the next to get the data off as it then rolls up to the week. Hmmm, there are charge logs in the charger but not accessible via the app.
I'll give you some extra kudo points though for timing. I have just had to do a full reset on mine so have no data at all to look at. A few hours ago I would have had months/years of data :rolleyes:

I'm not aware of any way to export the data which is a shame as that would allow you to do all sorts of things, it would a manual after the fact process though, so not ideal.
There are bound the be plenty of chargers with app support that would be the same and probably cheaper too.

Odd that the ones with RFID cards don't support multi users, that would seem the easy bit once you've gone down the access card route.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts