Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

1 week till I get my leaf. One of the places I work the boss has agreed to let me fit a charger. I have to pay for it and the electric though but still better than a NO!

So I found this place http://www.nuworldenergy.co.uk/shop/ev-charging-stations . I was thinking about going for either the tethered Rolec one or the untethered 7kw one. I only have a 3.3kw leaf so I know I can't get 7kw but it's future proofing. We have 3 phase at work so wasn't sure for future proofing it's better to get the 22kw un tethered charger?

If you would be kind enough to answer.

1. Which charger would you go for Rolec wallpod tethered, 7kw untethered or 22kw untethered? Bearing in mind I'd be paying for it and I'm not super flush but I would pay if it's worth it.

2. Is this a good price above or can I get it cheaper elsewhere.

3. To install above charger could anyone tell me a rough estimate of cost and if the electrian would need to do anything special?

4. Should I just get a weatherproof plug put outside and use the EVSE? It's just sometimes I only work for 2 hours and then need to travel 20miles on a roads but my battery would already be on a low percentage at that point. (no home charging)

Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Might be worth seeing if you can get free install from nuworld under OLEV, however I don't think business premises are included.
If no grant get a 3 kw off eBay. Rolec models are upgradable so as you can only use 3.3 save yourself the initial outlay as 22kwh will be lots more.
Don't forget qualified electrician and cable will.cost a bit on top!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Might be worth seeing if you can get free install from nuworld under OLEV, however I don't think business premises are included.
If no grant get a 3 kw off eBay. Rolec models are upgradable so as you can only use 3.3 save yourself the initial outlay as 22kwh will be lots more.
Don't forget qualified electrician and cable will.cost a bit on top!
That's what I looked at but it seems to be domestic only.

I have checked ebay but I type in Rolec or electric charging or something I only get Rolec stuff for a carvan I think or nothing. Any tips on what to search for?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
It's possible ZCW @Kevin Sharpe would donate the charger if the boss will allow the public to use it. Otherwise i would be tempted to stick with the standard 3 pin socket , will be a lot cheaper.............

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's possible ZCW @Kevin Sharpe would donate the charger if the boss will allow the public to use it. Otherwise i would be tempted to stick with the standard 3 pin socket , will be a lot cheaper.............
I did speak about this to him but he said which is fair the car park is small and I'm not allowed to park in the customer spaces. Which from what I gather is the deal with ZCW.

As you say a 3 pin is cheaper but I would prefer to have a slighty faster charge. Might get a electrian to price up each. If I could find a cheap Rolec or proper charger that would swing it.

·
Registered
536 Posts

If they haven't already, then I'd get a simple 16a commando port fitted at work and get one of these:

http://nuworldenergy.co.uk/shop/product/portable-mode-2-cee-commando-evse-charger

Not as elegant as a fixed unit but does the same job and you can take it with you afterwards!

Wish I'd done the same, I was in the same situation as yourself and got an old chargemaster unit off ebay for £160 then got the electrician to wire a commando socket from the CM unit and plug it into one of the 16a commando's at work. Works a treat!

EDIT: See attached image of the set up, I don't think you'd need such an extravagant 16a protected outlet as the one in the image, it was just the one we had spare that is closest to the charger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts