Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just saying Hello and need a quick bit of advice. My Tekna Leaf will arrive in the next couple of weeks. Having fun trying to get a 32Amp point installed at home (OLEV) and same at my work place. Is it possible to purchase Rolec points directly and ask a professional electrician to install them? (Rather than be messed around by Rolec approved installers). I'll be doing 25-30,000pa in the Leaf. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
I believe so. There is no restriction on buying them or installing them... it is just that you must meet the requirements for the grant and one of those is that you must use an OLEV approved installer.

You said you would get it professionally installed. There is nothing complicated. It just needs a 16A or 32A radial with the appropriate RCD protection at the consumer unit/distribution board.

·
Registered
331 Posts
What if you installed the Rolec yourself, ran the cable to the consumer unit, and had a qualified electrician connect it?

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
I don't think that would be a problem. The qualified electrician would need to check what you have done and issue a certificate that it is all OK. Shouldn't take him more than 15 mins I would imagine.

However, I would caution against doing it yourself if you are unfamiliar with electrics. There are some situations that require additional earthing and an electrician would be able to advise on that.

If it were me I would make sure I use an electrician that is familiar with EV charging.

:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts