Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I've just moved house and was looking to get a commando plug installed to use with an Ohme cable.

I've had quotes from electricians all around the £120/130 region including parts.
I've had a quote from an EV charger installer of £299 + parts

The electricians have mostly ghosted when I asked about earthing, One even gave me a long spiel about how additional earthing wouldn't be needed unless the socket fails testing or DNO ask for it and then he'd be asking them why they need it. I mentioned a Matt:e device and have sent him links to their page, which mentions the regs around the requirement for TT earthing and the charging device to be seperate from the PME in the house.

In my garage there is a cable that goes from the consumer unit to pretty much where I was going to put the socket
It goes from a Type B 32A breaker on the RCD side of the CU and is clipped along the wall. to a 45a cooker/Shower switch then to a 45a terminal block
I can't see any markings on the cable sheath, but I reckoned it was 6mm the one sparky that's been out thought it was 10mm but i dont think its that thick.

I have heard that the ohme charger has a type a breaker inside it, although i haven't been able to confirm this & not sure if that also applies to the cable.

I'm considering either buying the Matt:e from CEF, Installing it next to the switch, maybe replace the switch with a proper rotary isolator while I'm at it, then just getting an electrician to replace the terminal block with a commando so it can be tested/signed off, or just installing the socket while I'm at it.

Are there any potential pitfalls with this?

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
346 Posts
I recently had a Commando socket installed to work with my Ohme charger. I asked the electrician about an earth rod. He said a Commando socket installation on its own would not require an earth rod. However, if the Commando socket was used to charge an EV then an earth rod is necessary. I had an earth rod installed.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike

I'm aware of the requirement for the earth rod, or pen fault device such as Matt:e or veridian to isolate the EV charger from the house earth in the event of a fault.
My local electricians don't seem to be and thats my problem

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
You just need an electrician who is capable of reading the instructions, and not thinking they know better!

The cable comes with 'Notes for Electricians', which explain that although TT earthing isn't mandatory for a Commando socket, it's likely that you'll be using it regularly for EV charging, and it's recommended. I can't find a copy of the notes online, but OHME will be able to email it to you and you can pass that onto the spark. That's what I did.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mad_Rich

I've sent Ohme an email to ask about the installer notes

Looking back my emails to find the previous contact we had with them I've been looking at this and trying to get an electrician to give me a quote/ballpark figure for this work since we put in the initial offer on the house back in August

I might ring up the closest folk on the list of approved installers ohme (they are about 2 hours away from me) just to see what they quote

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm going to get the matt:e/GARO and get the sparky to wire that in to the CU in my garage with a Commando, its pretty simple even if they don't understand what its for, at least you know you're meeting the regs and you don't have to bang in an earth rod.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts