Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
On 14/10/21 I started with BG (HIVE) and still waiting on my chargepoint.

I have 2 electric showers only one used at any time. The fuses are 50A and 40A. I also have power in the garage and the usual cooker, washing machine etc. My circuit board fuse is 60A. They are now saying upgrading my house supply from 60 to 100A still won't be enough to be able to fit an EV point.

My next door neighbour has a bigger house and got his EV point from Podpoint in 7 weeks. I've been waiting 3 months.

Anyone any ideas how to get them to get their finger out? I'm terminally ill and that doesn't seem to bother them 馃槥

Registered
Thank you. Glad to have some help. Sadly only after looking on here have I discovered BG are no good. (Wish I looked earlier). They say they will eventually get it done. Surely there are homes operating even more electricity than me though?

Nobody tells you about EV pitfalls when you buy the car.

It was a qualified electrician that fitted the second shower. In all honesty we have never had 2 of them on at the same time.

Surely because we would only ever charge overnight there would be very little load issues?

BG say they will contact the DNO re the upgrade to 100A but we would need to disconnect one of the showers. Does that make sense?

They mentioned something called an isolation switch is that something that is useful. Sorry I'm not an expert in electrics so any help is great.

Registered
Thank you too. BG haven't suggested any options and had us hanging on all this time. I want to ditch them but feel they should have highlighted the issues and solutions before now. You guys have said more in 10 minutes than they have in 13 weeks.

So there is a way to get this done but they haven't said how, or how much, or who does what? So far they have said they do everything.

Any ideas how to best put it to them what is needed (without sweary words馃槉)

Also if they say this will cost more than the standard fitting what would be reasonable?

Thanks again.

Registered
Thanks I understand now and thanks for the explanation(Luckily one son and he's flown the nest - no daughters馃槉).

I'm going to back to British Gas to say please fit a priority box and arrange the upgrade fuse to 100A and see what they say.

My DNO should upgrade the fuse for free but what would be a reasonable charge by BG for supplying and fitting the priority box etc. so I can check they are not going to rip me off?

Will keep you guys posted.

Cheers

Registered
Thank you guys. I'm just glad we don't have electric heating too. Wondering what will happen though when they eventually outlaw gas boilers. I do also have a small sauna in the garage which is hardly ever

Registered
Spoke to the energy ombudsman today. Despite the issues surrounding my house load assessment they found it incredible that BG could not proceed albeit with the additional work as outlined by the experts on here. Waiting since October is in their words "simply not good enough". Let's see what they can do to get things moving. Anyone thinking about getting an EV point I certainly wouldn't recommend BG (HIVE).

That far down the road now though I feel we have to keep going with them before the Government grants go in March.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.