Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Your existing garage supply is only 32A, and will probably be run using 6mm² cable. Given you have garage sockets and lights on the same circuit that cable would likely need upgraded. You can also see that the cable has through crimps inside the consumer unit which I would not feel especially confident relying on for continuous 32A charge.

The garage supply is also broken somewhere else as it’s 3-core SWA (probably) at the garage end but looks like Twin&Earth at the consumer end (colours don’t match). This could be where it emerges through the building wall (is there a box on the outside with the black cable going into it?).

The only real option you have without upgrading the cable would be to have a charge point that monitors the load on the garage supply (using a CT clamp) and restricts the charge rate of the car while other loads in the garage are turned on.

The garage end has a number of issues which need resolved. Primarily the box is not really suitable and would be best replaced with an actual mini-consumer unit that has dedicated neutral and earth bars (the way all the neutrals are stuffed into the bottom of the RCD is nasty). The other issue is that the 63A RCD in that box is type AC and needs to be upgraded to at least a type A.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The crimps are in this photo, and I very definitely would not want to run 32 A through these for hours on end:
There is another junction somewhere between there and the garage though as the garage end is in 3-phase colours with tape, but the consumer unit end (even after the crimps) is in brown/blue single phase colours.

If the crimps are anything to go by I’d want to inspect the additional junction too!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.