Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much power does a domestic wall charger consume when not being used ? My granny charger uses 11W if not switched off at the plug.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,686 Posts
My Zappi reports 0 power consumption when it is not charging the car. However the units are KW so 11 watts would probably show as zero anyway.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,904 Posts
My Zappi reports 0 power consumption when it is not charging the car. However the units are KW so 11 watts would probably show as zero anyway.
Yep, I don’t think it’s very noticeable.

I have a Tesla wall charger.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
When I had my Pod-Point charger installed, my average daytime consumption (I charge my Leaf at night on the cheap rate) was observed to go up by about 1kWh per day, meaning the charger might be drawing a static 70 watts, but it could be less than that.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dont underestimate the question please. Just 20W x 24hrs x 365days = 96kwh./yr

Most houses use more leccy from things on standby than the rest!

How many switch off the telly at the wall etc. For me this is the quiet scandal of our times polluting the atmoshere to produce leccy we do not need

·
Registered
2021 Corsa-e
182 Posts
I have a "smart" charger, and I was told by the installer to just leave it on and that the power usage is negligible, but don't really know how much it consumes on standby.
The reason they gave is that it has internal electronic components that could be damaged (or life shortened) by turning the device off and on frequently.

After reading this thread, maybe I should look into how much it uses. 20watts sounds alot to me...

·
Registered
2021 Corsa-e
182 Posts
Dont underestimate the question please. Just 20W x 24hrs x 365days = 96kwh./yr

Most houses use more leccy from things on standby than the rest!

How many switch off the telly at the wall etc. For me this is the quiet scandal of our times polluting the atmoshere to produce leccy we do not need
From my calculation 20w will equal up to around 175kwh / year.
Am I mistaken?

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
214 Posts
You are talking about £25 a year leaving it on permanently, but surely with a smart charger it needs to be 'connected' for scheduling, over air updates etc.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
From my calculation 20w will equal up to around 175kwh / year.
Am I mistaken?
No. 175 kWh/yr it is. But the qn of thermal cycling items is interesting. Most electronic items follow a bath-tub shaped failure curve. High initial failure rate as the dodgy chips fail, then when those are weeded out, the failure rate is very low indeed for years. Then at the end, the failure rate starts rising again, as the chips become "worn-out", microscopic-sized connections fail, solder joints age & fatigue, etc.

This final aging part is definitely affected by thermal cycling, Lots of on-off warming-cooling cycles will reduce the lifetime of your electronic gadgets.

So it's not an easy decision to simply say "switch off & everything will be cleaner, better & cheaper".

There's a long hisory of computers lasting longer between failures if you don't turn them off. Goes back to the days of thermionic valves used in Colossus etc at Bletchley, the machines broke down less often when left switched on the whole time.

Last year I had my granny EVSE blow up after 5 years fairly hard, definitely frequent, use. The damage done to EV's charge controller, + dealer time/uplift etc totalled £1300. Maybe if I'd left it powered on more, keeping gently warm the whole time, the solder joints wouldn't have fatigued & caused the v expensive blow-up.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
If it helps. Our Smart PRO charger is 3w on standby. So more like 26kWh a year.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
The Zappi is specified as 3W standby which is not too bad.

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,904 Posts
Aren't there regulations on standby power for electronic equipment?

Our baseload is less than 200W, which gets fed by solar quite happily, so I'm quite happy.

If I turn off the charger can I earn another €12 in FIT this year?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts