Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is actually a rant about chargers and I suppose also about the EV situation in general. I'll try to be brief!
You see a lot written about how do we get people involved in EV driving, what's stopping people etc which this post might help with. As it stands I would tell people to run away from owning one!
Why? I am new to EV so this reflects the views of an ordinary owner and not someone who is interested enough to love them despite the hurdles in the way of owning one. Despite this I decided to give one a go and tried a couple for various reasons.
Can't fault the cars or the dealership experience and special mention has to goto Inverness Vauxhall, who, despite the fact I live in Sough London were especially helpful. I liked what I drove enough to buy one brand new on the 10th May. I won't say what or where for the moment as that not the problem, no the issue is the charger - I still don't have one and I get the car this weekend.
I started filling in inquiry forms the same day (10th May) and completed over 20 for different companies then sat back to wait. No-one contacted me. British Gas called after 11 working days (website says they will contact in 10 WD). I couldn't take the call and they could not talk to my wife. Since then - silence.
I was contacted by The Pheonix Works on the 21st but was a long way from home, they took a few details and I called them a day or so latter, gave more details and again silence since.
Npower in fact deny all knowledge of EV and chargers despite a whole webpage devoted to it.
In desperation now I started to contact the manufacturers of the chargers themselves for help (30 May) and got a nice bloke called Martin from Rexel (I believe the Rolec UK manufacturers/importers) within 30 mins. He said he'd arrange someone local to call me. Someone did on the 2nd June with the now dreaded words "one of our fitters will call you" still waiting a week later. Called Rexel again this morning and still waiting a call back.
I have priced the job privately as this may be the only way I can actually get this done at £550 plus the unit which could be got for under £300 except I'm told no-ones making them as the don't want to be stuck with them id OLEV pull the rug - Please note I started all this weeks before the OLEV notice so it should have been done before hand.
So now I have a car I can't charge and seemingly no way I can get a charger to do so.

No, I will not be recommending any of my friends get an electric car unless they like expensive paperweights. If any installers are reading this, I would welcome your thoughts on what went wrong.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The home charger situation is a mess, no doubt about that.

Does your car not come with the 13-amp "brick"? If not, could you arrange to borrow one for a while?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it does come with a brick - but I have no power to my parking space and no way to get it there without a full install at the quoted price of £550 (3 pin plug socket - type 2 charger extra if I could get one)

·
Super Moderator
7,464 Posts
Sounds like you're in quite a pickle :(

Would you like some advice or did you just want to get this off your chest for now?

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
I'd pay for a 13A external socket and then get a free charger when they are available again.

The free charger installs rarely cover any electrical work other than trivial, so that £550 price is going to need to be paid anyway. Just make sure the wiring is then suitable and won't need to be replaced again.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Vauxhall... You're buying an Ampera? Why not run on petrol until OLEV is back up?

Otherwise, have you tried calling Chargemaster yet? They are apparently still installing under the grant scheme for new car owners, and seem to be very quick off the mark.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
Vauxhall... You're buying an Ampera? Why not run on petrol until OLEV is back up?

Otherwise, have you tried calling Chargemaster yet? They are apparently still installing under the grant scheme for new car owners, and seem to be very quick off the mark.
Something is very fishy about the fact that all companies bar one seem to have been told to stop installing by OLEV.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Oh how I Sympathise with you . I placed an order with British Gas in early March , they should have fitted on the 28th April , but rang on the morning to say they would not be coming . Then nothing .Chased , nothing . Now I have a order with Pod Point but still waiting . I have just posted ( before I saw your post ) that their order page is down ? My car is coming mid July so at least I have a little time . But your right ,for spreading the word of EV life this is not good !! My friends that thought I was mad anyway getting the Leaf just smile , with that I told you so look .......
Nigel

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like you're in quite a pickle :(

Would you like some advice or did you just want to get this off your chest for now?
Quite happy to receive advice - I have to admit not sure where to go from here!
I'd pay for a 13A external socket and then get a free charger when they are available again.

The free charger installs rarely cover any electrical work other than trivial, so that £550 price is going to need to be paid anyway. Just make sure the wiring is then suitable and won't need to be replaced again.
Probably going to have to go this way BUT it is not what I have permission from the estate management for (another 3 weeks to change permissions as this could be abused for other purposes not charging the car)

May as well keep the Prius and cancel the car if all I can run is ICE - not the point at all. Chargemaster did not even acknowledge my request form and only eventually called me 3 weeks later when I wrote to the top guys directly.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
If (as I hope) the OLEV domestic grant scheme is over then we can all get back to competing for your business and delivering the low cost Charging Stations that you want :)

The current grant scheme was broken on day one and has only helped a few hardware vendors make money while restricting supply to EV owners. This is a terrible waste of taxpayers money :(

·
Registered
118 Posts
@Traguar we still have a small supply of pod point units - on an agreement that if the grant gets pulled we are sending them back - drop me a message to [email protected] and I'll see if we can get you sorted. Can't promise anything but it's frankly a disgrace if your an EV driver and can't get a home charge unit fitted. We have postponed all none EV drivers installs as they can wait - there are others who need them more than someone wanting to future proof their home.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Sorry to hear of your grief. I was in similar position with new car arriving and no response from all the big names with fancy web pages so rang Rolec direct (in Lincoln I think) who put me in touch with local installer and job sorted. Though admittedly before the debacle over the grants but may be worth a go.....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
See the conversation with a guy called Martin - he's been great and has passed on messages as I had one phone call from someone he told to call me - then it went silent for a week again. Called him again today, he said he'd get someone to call me, never happened.

Anyone know how an owner would even go about getting one fitted post-grant world?

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Anyone know how an owner would even go about getting one fitted post-grant world?
Before the grant it was much like any other electrical item, you found a product that you liked and a local qualified electrician installed it :)

With luck that's what the future will be like.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Ah OK Kevin, can you suggest somewhere where can I buy a bare Rolec Wallpod from? I have a mate who's a Sparky who could fit it for me.

·
Registered
585 Posts
That's what I started off thinking, but from what I've read, it rapidly becomes a pain. Getting the EVSE charging brick cable out of the boot, plugging it into the wall socket, and then into the car. And then later unplugging it and either dumping it (probably soaking wet into the boot) or winding it up and putting it away neatly in its backpack. In the middle of winter then it's dark and tipping it down with rain, that's going to be a major drag, and the darling wife will be sending me out in the rain to do it. Picking the charger up off the wall and plugging it into the car and doing the reverse will be much more user friendly! :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts