Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
VW E-Golf
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might be a newbie question ... took my car to a public charger for the first time this afternoon, just 5 minutes from my house. Plan was to use the rapid charger, but when I got there a car was already using it, so I plugged in to one of the 7kw ones and walked home. Didn’t need the car so it wasn’t a problem, but it got me wondering - could the rapid charger handle two vehicles? It has one chademo (which was in use) a CCS (which my Golf uses) and a type 2. There are buttons for AC and DC charging. You need a Chargeplace card to start & stop charging so didn’t want to mess with it in case I did I disconnected the guy using the charger. Could I have used the CCS cable while the chademo was in use, or is it one 50kw at a time?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Triple headers can do one AC charge and one DC charge at a time but not two DC charges. Since the Chademo was in use your right the CCS wouldn't have worked.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,912 Posts
Most units will only charge on one of the DC options at a time, so either the CHAdeMO or the CCS but not both. The AC type 2 normally works in addition.

·
Registered
VW E-Golf
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, that’s what I assumed. There is another rapid on the same site but it has been dead for the last three months shouldn’t really moan since they’re free, but I will anyway!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,157 Posts
Thanks, that’s what I assumed. There is another rapid on the same site but it has been dead for the last three months shouldn’t really moan since they’re free, but I will anyway!
As an EV owner, you have the right to moan to the dead rapid's network, saying that they need to fix it.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,688 Posts
Pod point rapid can queue the charge. If CCS is in use, you can plug in Chademo and start charge (pending until CCS stops)

Not seen this on others yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,669 Posts
Pod point rapid can queue the charge. If CCS is in use, you can plug in Chademo and start charge (pending until CCS stops)

Not seen this on others yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's probably important to explain this is standard for ABB Chargers, not Pod Point. An Electric Blue network ABB charger that I regularly use does this too. But Pod Point doesn't always install ABB. Recently they've been installing Tritium ones especially at Tesco stores. They are basically identical to the original style 50kW Instavolt chargers if you remember them. There's unfortunately no ability to queue on those ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts