Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi 🙋‍♂️,
For a university project i am building an app where you can share your chargers and earn some money. For this I am trying to gather some feedback. Could you spare 5 minutes to fill in this form please? It would really help me out. I am not asking for any personal information, just your opinion.

👉 Electrip questionnaire 👈

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Done.
FWIW I'm on plugshare, happy to give anyone a free charge if they want one. Yet to have any request in 5 years, But there are Podpoints only 1km away at supermarket. I can't see this being a money-earner, unless it's combined with say commuting to work & parking in a city + charging up, if the resident has a driveway that's suitable. That can be a regular, useful small earner. Out in the countryside there should be enough public EVSEs, or you should have enough battery capacity to cope. And if not, there need to be more public EVSEs, rather than trying to patch-up the gaps somehow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it! Indeed renting homechargers might only be useful in areas where there aren't many public chargers. But the business plan might change over time!

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Done.

My concern about sharing my charger is that I don't want a random person parking on my driveway for 10 hours charging. Sure, if somebody is in a bind, they're welcome to a free top up to get them to the next charging station, but I don't want people getting in the way of my day to day life. I also don't want a queue of traffic blocking the road as people line up to use my charger. And by the same token, I'd be reluctant to impose on somebody else unless it was absolutely necessary. So happy to share, within reason.

But I wouldn't want to do it for money, because that sets expectations about a level of service. A favour going tits up is significantly different from a paid service not working.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for your feedback. I will take those very valid points into account.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Done.

My concern about sharing my charger is that I don't want a random person parking on my driveway for 10 hours charging. Sure, if somebody is in a bind, they're welcome to a free top up to get them to the next charging station, but I don't want people getting in the way of my day to day life. I also don't want a queue of traffic blocking the road as people line up to use my charger. And by the same token, I'd be reluctant to impose on somebody else unless it was absolutely necessary. So happy to share, within reason.

But I wouldn't want to do it for money, because that sets expectations about a level of service. A favour going tits up is significantly different from a paid service not working.
I've filled in your questionnaire. But I agree with the above. I live 7 miles from the nearest public charger and if someone was desperate for a top up to get to a public charger, I would let them charge for free.

In the UK most home chargers are only 7kW. So you could only supply about £1 worth of electricity an hour. (assuming a cost to you of approx 15p/kWh) So realistically you couldn't expect the customer to pay you more than £3/hour. As a moneymaking opportunity I don't think it would be worth the hassle.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I've filled in your questionnaire. But I agree with the above. I live 7 miles from the nearest public charger and if someone was desperate for a top up to get to a public charger, I would let them charge for free.

In the UK most home chargers are only 7kW. So you could only supply about £1 worth of electricity an hour. (assuming a cost to you of approx 15p/kWh) So realistically you couldn't expect the customer to pay you more than £3/hour. As a moneymaking opportunity I don't think it would be worth the hassle.
You can combine the charging with simply renting out the space; there are already websites that do this. However, this means you have to charge more to at least cover the electricity cost if someone were to rock up and charge for 8 hours straight, which then makes the space prohibitively expensive for anyone with an ICE. I did look into this and found 2 people near me renting parking spaces with charging facilities and their price was actually stupidly low, something like £2/day. Renting that space and fully charging my car would be far cheaper than charging it at home, so I have no idea how the guy makes any money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts