Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have an i3 and Chargemaster home charger, both about 18 months old and have never had any problems until this week when I set the car to charge off-peak at 75% SOC. During the night the car charged to 90% then the charger tripped – the 32 A miniature circuit breaker (not the rcd) in the meter cabinet was off when I checked in the morning.

I will try to charge again but am concerned that this could occur when it is important that I have a full charge in the car.

Can anybody suggest whether this is likely to be – overload device spurious trip, wall charger problem or car charger problem? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
It is not unheard of but it would be unusual for it to be this way round.
It suggests either a high current for a prolonged period. Which is doubtful or a very high current momentarily.

Just out of interest have you tested the RCD by pushing the T?

Could be a loose connection increasing heat (as MCBs are a thermal device). Or a duff MCB, which is rare but not unknown.

One occasion I wouldn't worry but beyond that start to worry.

In 5 years I have probably had my RCD trip 2 or 3 times but only when unplugging. Never had my MCB go.

Reactions: ColA

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,509 Posts
I had this with my Ampera. It was the charging socket on the car, no indications on the car that it was plugged in, charged, unable to charge or waiting to charge. The circuit had tripped and resetting it did not help as when the car was connected it tripped again. I had to get a new charge socket as there was a hairline crack in mine causing a short.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts