Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give advice. I have the Smart Fortwo Coupe EQ (Electric) with on board 22kw charger.

Can I plug my car in to a AC 43kw charging station?

I assume the car would just draw the maximum 22kw from the charger, but am not sure. I don’t want to blow my car or the charger up until i know for sure. Surely if the plug fits the socket then its fine, but i dont know...?

I only ask, as most of the local chargers near me are 43kw but my cars on board charger is 22kw.

Any help much appreciated...

·
Registered
119 Posts
You’re correct, the car will only draw the maximum it can receive safely (so 22kW in your case) and will be fine.

As might be discussed, just consider the social implications of denying access to a rapid charger for too long — someone in a Renault Zoe, for instance, might be banking on having access to the same charger in order to continue their journey.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I only ask, as most of the local chargers near me are 43kw
Why do you need to use local rapid chargers? Are you not able to charge at home?

While you can plug your car into a 43kW rapid charger, local EV uses should really use home chargers or "fast" chargers (usually rated at 7kW, cheap to install, found in car parks, meant for you to leave the car plugged in). Rapid chargers are installed at huge cost and meant to enable long distances driving.

Hence the comment about overstaying on a rapid. 40min is the maximum I'd consider acceptable for anyone to occupy a rapid charger. Shorter if there's a queue and you've got enough to make it to your destination (your home charger).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's all good to hear.

Regarding over staying welcome at the charger. I would not use for a full charge, but for top ups.

When I said local, maybe I should explain what I think of as local. The car has an estimated winter range of 50 to 60 miles. If I drive from home at full charge to a town about 18 miles away, given the roads are mostly 60 mph speed roads, I might find I need charge for the return journey. Most of the surrounding villages And towns all have eitger 7kw or 43kw chargers. While I can use 7kw fine. I have paid extra for the 22kw model so might as well use it to its full potential.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts