Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how much an upgrade is for a 30 leaf to 6.6 charger, and does it has to be Nissan

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
The powerheads are available for around £700 secondhand or £1,000 new. Then you have to get involved with HV to change it.
My advice would be to sell your car and buy one already fitted with one, the additional value of them isn't that high.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It can be done and 6.6KW parts do come up on ebay from time to time.
As with any car, it's just modular design and the 6.6KW charger just bolts on, seems relatively easy from the guides I've seen.
The instruments don't even need changed, the two different charging times that the 6.6KW offers will automatically appear.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
917 Posts
If it’s that easy I wonder why Nissan never offered it / now offer it as an after sales upgrade?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
They'd rather sell you a new car. Also a few hours work at a stealer is a significant cost, and the retail cost of the part alone is about £1,200.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Personaly with the amount of Rapid chargers about I dont see the advantage in spending all the money and time to do this. Im sure there are situations where the extra AC speed is welcomed, but £1000 worth? Nah.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Personaly with the amount of Rapid chargers about I dont see the advantage in spending all the money and time to do this. Im sure there are situations where the extra AC speed is welcomed, but £1000 worth? Nah.
Exactly.
But I've twice seen used 6.6 parts on ebay for around £400-£500, and that has nearly tempted me as a DIY project.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
That to me is where it might make sense, but never seen them that cheap.

·
Registered
2011 Leaf with Muxsan 17.6kWh battery, curt tow hitch fitted for bikes or buzz rack P10
230 Posts
My take on a 6.6kw is that it is a nice to have but realistically does not give you any benefit on over night charging from the 3.6kw. I have the 1st jen Gap made ones so a retrofit like this is alot harder to do. To really make it worthwhile for me it should be 22kw 3 phase for when you cant have a rapid but you can do a half rapid and your day isnt ruined. This is more prevalent on the continent though. I think this is something that renault got right on the zoe's. I was then thinking about rotary converters for charging at home but I quickly come to the conclusion i dont need it and that actually slow charging is better for the batttery anyway. Infact i often want to charge at 6amp instead of 16amp of my pod point so as to keep below the production of my solar panels but cant justify an evse with an adjustable output for the minimal money id save.

I suppose as packs become larger then efficiency tends to take a back seat and as a consequence the chargers need to be quicker to achieve the same miles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts