Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of getting ChargedEV to install me a chargemaster unit, but before they come to do the site survey I thought i would ask on here one big question, which affects where I site the charger. I will of course ask the engineer when he is here, but thought I would get others opinions too.

I currently intend to place the charger in my garage, which has a clear plastic roof. This gets most of the sun during the day and gets quite hot in there. I was just wondering if this would have any effect on the charger, would it overheat if charging the car?

Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
If it’s not too bad for you to go in there, it should not be an issue for an EVSE. Only time heat dissipation has to be considered is in a confined space and if the contactor chosen by the manufacturer is appropriate for their enclosure then all will be well. If not, it will be their responsibility.
The contactor coil has to be called to keep the power switched on and is the main source of heat, but it’s usually small in watts or milliwatts even.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
It's got electronics in it.

If it's crazy hot (40+) in there then you will shorten its lifetime.

No nice user-friendly changeable modules in the CM unit so out of warranty failure means swapping the whole thing.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,469 Posts
I am in the process of getting ChargedEV to install me a chargemaster unit, but before they come to do the site survey I thought i would ask on here one big question, which affects where I site the charger. I will of course ask the engineer when he is here, but thought I would get others opinions too.

I currently intend to place the charger in my garage, which has a clear plastic roof. This gets most of the sun during the day and gets quite hot in there. I was just wondering if this would have any effect on the charger, would it overheat if charging the car?

Any help much appreciated.
It is merely a relay to connect the car to the mains.

The chargemaster units are very inefficient and waste 25W in standby mode. But minimal additional heat when charging.

Chargemaster don't always know which way around to mount electrolytics, which is a far more adverse problem for the electronics than merely a little heat.

Besides, consumer electronics is rated for +85C.

Forget about it, but possibly satisfy yourself that the chargemaster is the ideal unit for you.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
As others have said, the thing on the wall isn't the charger, just a chargepoint, and does not itself get significantly warm.

The charger itself is inside your car; this will give off a fair bit of heat (5-10% of the total charging power), but should have a cooling system to suit (some are water-cooled). The battery will also get warm while charging.

The battery is in fact the one possible cause for concern, as batteries definitely do not like being too hot, especially at high states of charge. Some cars just let the battery get warm - and those models tend to suffer from shorter battery life in hot climate areas. Others run fans and/or the Aircon to keep the battery temperature down (though in an enclosed garage of course that will further increase the air temperature).

So, if you are just planning to put the chargepoint in there and charge with the car outside on the drive, there's almost certainly no problem. If you are charging the car in there, it might be a good idea to provide some ventilation - maybe simply leaving the door open if charging on a hot day would be enough (probably you are going to charge mostly at night anyhow).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In response to above replies. The garage is a bit hard to explain. It's almost timber structure open on one side for access, with a roller door at the front for access. So there is always ventilation in there. And yes I will be charging 90% of the time at night.

I've gone with chargemaster, though is being installed by chargedev, as my dealer recommended them, and they were a cheaper starting price. My garden is almost 35 metres long. So the install is nowhere near a standard install. So on top of the price of the charger. I'll be paying alot extra for additional work. I would have gone with podpoint, but wasn't sure in the end due to the price.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am only at the on site survey stage. So if I feel that the charger might not be any good. I can cancel and change to a different one. I'm still unsure on what I want. But I've only got 8 weeks or so until my car arives. So felt I should get on with it.

·
24,469 Posts
I am only at the on site survey stage. So if I feel that the charger might not be any good. I can cancel and change to a different one. I'm still unsure on what I want. But I've only got 8 weeks or so until my car arives. So felt I should get on with it.
Can you manage with a granny lead for a bit? Better that way, a bit of inconvenience to start with, than making the wrong permanent decision. It might even give you an insight into your preferred parking arrangement when charging the car, which might not be obvious to start with, without the car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Parking in the garage is the best option. The small bit of driveway we have is in a small lane, where a lot of vandalism is known to take place. Not best place to site a charge point. So inside the garage is a safer option.

I don't know about granny lead. It is a good backup plan. The position of the charge point doesn't matter. As I have already bought a 7.5 metre charge lead, to reach anywhere in the garage.

I've got an on site survey this week. Will see what they say about positioning. As I say. I can cancel it after this and wait. I'll have a think.

Out of interest, what are people's thoughts on the podpoint as a charge point over the CM unit.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Personally I would choose Viridian from EVBitz because it uses the Mainpine epc Module internally which is rock-solid and easily swapped / upgraded and can even be adapted for solar current control. Whether you can get the incentive payments through them I’m not sure but it will be significantly cheaper and may still come out less. Any competent electrician can be employed to provide the right feed from the consumer unit to the EVSE location.
You could even make your own. Instructive video I made is linked to from EVBitz website. Worth watching just to demystify the whole thing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Personally I would choose Viridian from EVBitz because it uses the Mainpine epc Module internally which is rock-solid and easily swapped / upgraded and can even be adapted for solar current control. Whether you can get the incentive payments through them I’m not sure but it will be significantly cheaper and may still come out less. Any competent electrician can be employed to provide the right feed from the consumer unit to the EVSE location.
You could even make your own. Instructive video I made is linked to from EVBitz website. Worth watching just to demystify the whole thing.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've just had a look at that unit and watched the video. And while I feel it is actually not a bad little unit. I'd rather have a ready made unit, so if it goes wrong I don't have to troubleshoot myself, but can call on someone with know-how.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your comment on the podpoint. I think based on what I've seen here and in other topics I will wait to see what comes after my survey this week for the CM unit. I've read mixed reviews, but that goes for pretty much all the chargers from what I've seen. I will see what happens from there.

Thanks for all the help.

·
24,469 Posts
I agree with the above comments, then, if you have concerns regarding heat then the bigger concern will be your car sitting in the middle of it all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree with the above comments, then, if you have concerns regarding heat then the bigger concern will be your car sitting in the middle of it all.
I wouldn't say it gets much warmer than 35 degrees Celsius in there. And that is now during this heatwave. How often does this happen. The car will only be in there in the evenings and at night. And charging will be done at night also.
Like I say. I'll see what happens with the survey and will go from there. If the charger ends up being dead in 12 months time. I'll replace it with a rolec. At least the cable will already be there ready.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Your original question was about whether heat in a space where the unit is fixed would be a problem.

The answer is no.

As others have said, the main issue is in the selection of the unit itself from the many on offer. That decision can be based on aesthetics, or features - or both. These units do not need to be complicated. They simply offer 240v AC to the car. The car then recognises the connection and authorises a relay in the box to provide power to the car's onboard charge unit. Then the car tells the relay to disconnect when its own system dictates.

If the unit is out of public sight then investing in a beautiful cabinet rather than a more mundane one could be seen as not necessary. In any case, a simple unit like a Rolec has advantages over others, as its internal components can be sourced at any electrical wholesales outlet and simply replaced by an electrician as required. Many alternative expensive units don't offer that.

It's much like the difference between a Rolex watch and a Timex. Both tell the time. One looks better but can't be worked on by the local booth guy in a shopping mall. And if both are kept out of sight anyway does it really make sense to spend loads on a unit doing an identical job.

If you browse the various threads in here using the search feature you will see much discussion on this subject. And then be better informed to make a decision.

·
24,469 Posts
Your car and its on board charger will put out 20 times the heat of the charge point. Forget about it, in relative terms it is unimportant.

But I would consider putting in a ceiling hatch to let out hot air in summer. The Sun is an amazing thing that gets stuff hot, and you want to avoid taking your battery pack to 35C before even starting a trip if you can help it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your original question was about whether heat in a space where the unit is fixed would be a problem.

The answer is no.

As others have said, the main issue is in the selection of the unit itself from the many on offer. That decision can be based on aesthetics, or features - or both. These units do not need to be complicated. They simply offer 240v AC to the car. The car then recognises the connection and authorises a relay in the box to provide power to the car's onboard charge unit. Then the car tells the relay to disconnect when its own system dictates.

If the unit is out of public sight then investing in a beautiful cabinet rather than a more mundane one could be seen as not necessary. In any case, a simple unit like a Rolec has advantages over others, as its internal components can be sourced at any electrical wholesales outlet and simply replaced by an electrician as required. Many alternative expensive units don't offer that.

It's much like the difference between a Rolex watch and a Timex. Both tell the time. One looks better but can't be worked on by the local booth guy in a shopping mall. And if both are kept out of sight anyway does it really make sense to spend loads on a unit doing an identical job.

If you browse the various threads in here using the search feature you will see much discussion on this subject. And then be better informed to make a decision.
That's a very good way of looking at. I've heard some bad things about rolec. But then I suppose if it's modular, replacing a part is easier and cheaper than replacing the whole unit. I have found an installer of rolec online, named 'EV chargers Uk'. They sound quite good, I might give them a go.

Is it possibly to get a second quote for a different ev charge point or does this muck up the olev application. What I mean is, can I get a quote for this rolec install, alongside the quote for the CM unit.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Is it possibly to get a second quote for a different ev charge point or does this muck up the olev application. What I mean is, can I get a quote for this rolec install, alongside the quote for the CM unit.
Unless you have signed a contract already you’re fine. Go for it!
Your current choice would be absolutely at the bottom of my preference list.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts