Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For chargers with a type 2 socket as opposed to tethered lead, some have locking sockets, others don't. The locking mechanism holds the plug in place during charging so it cant be removed until the charge controller allows.

If you can have either, it therefore doesn't appear to be standards related, so why would you have a charger manufacturer providing a locking socket whilst others don't?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Do you want any Tom, Dick, or Harry (or anyone else) unplugging your car while you are away, resulting in you not having the expected charge for your next journey when you return?

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
For chargers with a type 2 socket as opposed to tethered lead, some have locking sockets, others don't. The locking mechanism holds the plug in place during charging so it cant be removed until the charge controller allows.

If you can have either, it therefore doesn't appear to be standards related, so why would you have a charger manufacturer providing a locking socket whilst others don't?
Probably some chargers don't comply with the standards.....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably some chargers don't comply with the standards.....
So it is stipulated in one of the standards? Do you know which one(s)?

Does this relate to chargers for home (which i'm interested in) or commercial?

I'm not really expecting somebody to walk upto my car at home and unplug it, but i'm curious why some of the major players have locking mechanisms and others dont.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sorry mate but are you talking about units that's come with a "locking unit" extra?

I thought all units lock when on charge.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
142 Posts
So when you plug your car in and press the lock button a pin will drop down in your car and secure the charging cable, some universal sockets will do the same at the charger end.

If one ends locked then no one can steal your cable, bit the can disconnect charge.

That's how I read it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts