Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just noticed that my local rapid chargers have been fitted with vehicle detection sensors in the parking bays. When you pull up and it detects the car the charger now lights up to welcome you. But even better it appears to feed back to Zap Map.

I was having problems getting the cable to release, so before calling the helpline decided to take a look at Zap Map comments. Surprisingly the status said it had updated just now as ICE'd. I Moved over to the charger beside it and got that one to work no problem, and checked again and sure enough it was suddenly showing as available again. Having an active charge session while plugged in reported to Zap Map as charging rather than ICE'd so the charger and sensor are obviously working together. When reporting the issue I asked on the helpline and they said it's part of a trial they are planning on rolling out if successful. They also said it has the possibility to be used in future to impose overstay penalties or warnings if they see a charge session has ended but the car still remains.

Just thought this was a really smart idea. and wondering if anyone else has seen this at other chargers on their travels yet?

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What network are those rapids on? You didn't say.
Oops. It's Electric Blue.
As it happens, I just checked their website and it appears they are in the middle of a re-brand right now. But mentioned in the list of upcoming features it briefly mentions what I discovered and posted about.

"iBay - Alerts operators when EV charger parking bays are occupied by fossil fuel vehicles. An intelligent management system, enforcing the proper usage of charging parking bays. Get in touch with our team to discuss this concept further."

OP appears to be in USA from his flag.
I Signed up while still living in the US. I am now in the UK but for some reason the forum software won't change my flag even when I update my profile with a new location, or even remove it altogether.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,162 Posts
Strange as normally it's based on your IP address. Are you using a VPN?

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,972 Posts
It's a good idea to let people know, but it doesn't exactly solve the problem, does it it?

Integrated crane system, perhaps... :)
Big flashing lights and a sign at windscreen level. I have some suggestions for the sign, but most of them are unprintable.

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
742 Posts
Maybe they should just have an ANPR camera that queries a database and if your reg isn’t a PHEV or EV it raises a bollard out of the end of the parking bay after 3 minutes.

When you return you should have to pay a £30 fine to the charge point before it releases you from the space.

That would stop charging bays being ICED!

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,070 Posts
Maybe they should just have an ANPR camera that queries a database and if your reg isn’t a PHEV or EV it raises a bollard out of the end of the parking bay after 3 minutes. When you return you should have to pay a £30 fine to the charge point before it releases you from the space.That would stop charging bays being ICED!
But the object is to stop that ICE parking in the first place. Not to disable the bay for hours by blocking it in just to raise money. If a system is installed using ANPR as well as a motorised bollard it would make more sense to leave the bollard blocking the bay when no car is in there charging. Then the ANPR could spot an EV approaching and lower it to allow access. But deny access to any non EV car.

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
742 Posts
But the object is to stop that ICE parking in the first place. Not to disable the bay for hours by blocking it in just to raise money. If a system is installed using ANPR as well as a motorised bollard it would make more sense to leave the bollard blocking the bay when no car is in there charging. Then the ANPR could spot an EV approaching and lower it to allow access. But deny access to any non EV car.
Now that’s a good idea!! 👏👏

There is still a part of me that wants to teach the selfish tw*t a lesson on respecting the charging infer structure and encourage EV ownership though.

If we got all the best parking spots it would be a great uptake motivator.

My mother in law switches off the start stop on her diesel Audi because “I don’t like not being able to hear the engine”

and

“I don’t like electric vehicles they are too quiet!”

😡🤬🤬😡

I did once reply “so you’d rather help in your own small way to render the planet your grand children are going to have to live on a little bit less inhabitable then?”

Ahh, rant over! That feels better!

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,740 Posts
Surely you don’t need to worry if a car is ICE or EV, just is it plugged in and charging or not. There are enough problems with EV is blocking charges.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Maybe they should just have an ANPR camera that queries a database and if your reg isn’t a PHEV or EV it raises a bollard out of the end of the parking bay after 3 minutes.
Why at the end of the bay? Raise the bollard in the middle of the bay. Putting a big hole in the middle of a few cars might make people be a little more careful about where they park.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,644 Posts
Adds some complexity to the charge initiation process.

"Please connect car to Trebuchet, then charging session will start".

But probably worth it.

(Or maybe we employ Trebuchet wardens?)

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,972 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts