Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to the world of EV鈥檚 so am still on a steep learning curve 馃榾

in my area there are a number of these units on the polar network. They have two sockets. Does this mean that they can charge two vehicles at the same time or is it only one?

evezy referral code d6540
Hi,

I am new to the world of EV鈥檚 so am still on a steep learning curve 馃榾

in my area there are a number of these units on the polar network. They have two sockets. Does this mean that they can charge two vehicles at the same time or is it only one? View attachment 135979
Normally two at the same time unless they are faulty. Most will supply 7kW although a few may be only 3.6kW. Check Zap-Map for details and user feedback.

Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
Hi Jimmi and welcome.

Fast chargers like these can have 2 cars charging at the same time.

Rapid chargers tend to have 3 connectors:
DC Chademo, DC CCS and AC (usually 43kwh). The 2 DC connectors cannot both charge at the same time but the AC connector (Renaut Zoe) can charge at the same time as one of the DC connectors.

hope this helps

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Normally two at the same time unless they are faulty. Most will supply 7kW although a few may be only 3.6kW. Check Zap-Map for details and user feedback.
Thank you for your prompt reply. I thought that might be the case

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Jimmi and welcome.

Fast chargers like these can have 2 cars charging at the same time.

Rapid chargers tend to have 3 connectors:
DC Chademo, DC CCS and AC (usually 43kwh). The 2 DC connectors cannot both charge at the same time but the AC connector (Renaut Zoe) can charge at the same time as one of the DC connectors.

hope this helps
Thank you for clarifying.
I tried to use a rapid charger yesterday that a black cab was using. He shouted at me because he was already charging. 馃ぃ. Quick lesson about those style of chargers.

Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
Was it an ESB charger ? These are often reserved for "taxis only"!

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Hi teepee,
It was one of these. He was using the CSS charger and I tried to use the Type 2.

Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
mmm the plot thickens. If he's using DC CCS and you want to use AC type 2 I think the same principle applies in that using AC and DC together is fine.

Anyone have any concrete evidence either way?

Registered
The AC works at the same time as the DC on those, but only one DC (Chademo or CCS) at a time.
Ignorant and aggressive Taxi driver shock! :rolleyes: They are usually so knowledgeable, tolerant and willing to share.

Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
Chargemaster Ultracharge units cannot do multiple sessions together due to software limitations.

Pretty much any other model of rapid charger from any other network except for Ecotricity can do AC and DC together however.

With that said, unless OP has a Renault Zoe, using the type 2 AC connector isn't going to charge the car rapidly. You need to use one of the DC Connectors for that.

Registered
mmm the plot thickens. If he's using DC CCS and you want to use AC type 2 I think the same principle applies in that using AC and DC together is fine.

It largely depends on how the setup is done, but in general on the <50kW 3-standards units two vehicles cannot charge DC at the same time.

In some cases the charging stations are setup to form queues, they鈥檒l not stop the current charging, but will start on the second plug as soon as the first one has finished/unplugged. And there are some shitty ones that will interrupt the current charging session to start a new one, without asking for confirmation - those are the very early units i.

In addition, there can be a charging time limit set (say 1 hour) for each session.

I know that ABB and Efacec units are highly customizable in this respect, but the downside is that each charging unit will have the setup desired by the operator of the charging station - lack of consistency.

latest CCS+CCS units seem to be able to provide 100kW per cable without fuss simultaneously (units from Alpitronic, ABB and tritium) plus a 22 or 43kW AC. But they are bloody expensive...

Premium Member
Chargemaster Ultracharge units cannot do multiple sessions together due to software limitations.

Pretty much any other model of rapid charger from any other network except for Ecotricity can do AC and DC together however.

With that said, unless OP has a Renault Zoe, using the type 2 AC connector isn't going to charge the car rapidly. You need to use one of the DC Connectors for that.
Yes, it is a shame they don't allow especially as they tend to paint up two bays. I guess the 2nd bay is so you can wait, which a Leaf had to do when we charged ZE40 at Harvester on way to Doncaster once.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts