Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which home charger did you get?
How much did it cost installed? (including grant)
Who supplied and installed it?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought the Andersen A2, because we wanted to avoid having thick charging cables on show on the outside of our house, like a petrol pump. On the A2, the cable wraps inside the box. It’s very neat, and has configurable panels to match your house’s style. However, like an Apple product, you pay a bit more for quality and aesthetics. It cost around £850 after the government grant for it to be supplied and fitted. They did a very neat job of it, and it’s adding 33 miles of range every hour on my SR+.

04391F91-4573-4F0B-837F-ECD96617633A.jpeg

·
Registered
127 Posts
I got a 7kw Pod Point charger. Costs £398 after the £500 government grant deduction. However, this also includes an optional £39 lock to stop sneaky electricity thieves from using my charger when I'm not at home (not that I expect that to happen). So without the lock it only costs £359. But don't expect to get it for this price anymore. Just had a quick look on Pod Point's website and it looks like they've increased the prices quite significantly. The exact same charger now costs £529!!! Phew, I'm glad I got it installed when I did. That's quite a jump in price.

Can't remember who the installer was but that's not something you should worry about as whichever charging company you go with should provide the installation as part of the price. Pod Point's installer was a super nice guy and did an excellent job. Would definitely recommend them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We had Zappi installed to go with our solar Panels. comes with password protection to protect from a cheeky charger. Costs have gone up since two years back.. Costs ~£5-1000 these days depending on length from the connection etc..

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 Performance 2019
104 Posts
EO Mini Pro, £409, EDF-appointed contractor.

It works fine, but I bought it in haste. I was given a delivery date three months earlier than expected whilst on holiday abroad, and buying it through EDF was expedient. With more time, I would have chosen the Andersen for the same reasons as @Dialogue posted.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I got a 7kw Pod Point charger. Costs £398 after the £500 government grant deduction. However, this also includes an optional £39 lock to stop sneaky electricity thieves from using my charger when I'm not at home (not that I expect that to happen). So without the lock it only costs £359. But don't expect to get it for this price anymore. Just had a quick look on Pod Point's website and it looks like they've increased the prices quite significantly. The exact same charger now costs £529!!! Phew, I'm glad I got it installed when I did. That's quite a jump in price.

Can't remember who the installer was but that's not something you should worry about as whichever charging company you go with should provide the installation as part of the price. Pod Point's installer was a super nice guy and did an excellent job. Would definitely recommend them.
The grant was reduced from max £500 to £350 in March, this probably explains the Pod-Point rise, (and many others).

We were lucky enough to order ours in early March via Hyundai for £300, and had it fitted a few weeks ago, (delayed due to lockdown).

·
Registered
50 Posts
I went with pod-point. I really wanted the EO Mini Pro, but the quotes were coming in over £1000. I got it for £400, and mounted it inside the garage with the cable coming out, so the god awful case isn't on display.

It's worked very well so far and installation was great. Only issue has been the charging drop to 4KW but that's Tesla's fault.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought the Tesla Wall Charger from eBay, they pop up every now and then as they were a referral prize for S & X owners. It was unopened. I paid £280 for it and I got my mate, who’s an electrician, to install it. So it can be done cheaper if you’re lucky and know the right people.
I never thought of looking on the likes of eBay for wall chargers! Good shout!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I never thought of looking on the likes of eBay for wall chargers! Good shout!
I bought mine on eBay as well, although I paid £380. It was a signature one (same as the standard but black front) which was a freebee given to people as a referral award. Not a huge savings but it was brand new in box and I was able to buy it and have it installed whilst still waiting for the car early last summer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
We had Zappi installed to go with our solar Panels. comes with password protection to protect from a cheeky charger. Costs have gone up since two years back.. Costs ~£5-1000 these days depending on length from the connection etc..
Tethered Zappi installed early May £625 total (net of grant). Fantastic piece of kit.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Like Dialogue I got the A2.

Different class, I don't need a 39quid lock as I can lock it in the app.

Looking forwards to getting my solar and battery installed so I can really start using all it's features.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I liked the look of the A2 but the size and cost put me off. Instead, in February, I went for the EO Mini Pro untethered for £300 through EDF (standard install).

The discounted price relied on OLEV grant and on taking the EDF EV tarrif.

I’ve been happy with the EDF tariff due to the long duration of off-peak period. The appeal of the EO charger was its very small size and the willingness of installer to fit it without any wiring or Earth rod on show on outside of house. In my opinion it is/was the most compact/tidy charger available ...... if that’s important to you.

The app works well including the smart features and ability to ‘lock’ it. To keep it compact and neat I chose the untethered version. Some would see ‘untethered’ as a disadvantage but, combined with the long duration of off peak EDF electricity, I only charge once a week outside lockdown and therefore dont have the hassle of fitting cable to charger so often.

·
Registered
73 Posts
EDF are really pushing the installs, didn't realise they had EO
I think EDF ‘did’ partner with EO. They have recently acquired pod-point and so this is the charger they offer alongside their tariffs.
I think EO Mini pro chargers are still available in various colours via various installers but I haven’t seen it at such low prices in recent months.
....... but it seems all chargers have increased in price!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts