Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Panos
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a BMW 330e and my experience so far with pod point has been the worst. In my workplace we have 4 charging stations and I have tried all 4 of them with no success. When I plug my car the light on the unit turns red, as if something is wrong.

My first though was that the units are faulty since the day before I receive my vehicle back from BMW fully charged. However I had to purchase from them a public cable which is the one I was trying to use. Any way, trying to confirm whether it’s the unit or my vehicle/cable, I drove to a Sainsbury’s that had 5 pod point charging stations. I plugged my on every single one of them (including both sides). The light turns red immediately and on my app the unit says is “Offline”. I mean seriously what is going on?

I then drove back to BMW and asked them to check my new cable if it is charging on my car. Here I need to mention that at BMW they have the Chargemaster system from Polar plus. Any way my car was charging with no problem when connected on BMW’s charging station. We even tried different cables and again no problem.

I then drove back to to Sainsbury’s to try again, and again the same problem. Waisted a whole day trying to do this. At the Pod-Point customer service couldn’t understand what’s wrong since the unit looked functional and other vehicles were able to charge straight after I was removing mine. I even tried to plug mine at the ones that other people previously used. Pod-Point said it might be my car or the cable but I had just left BMW dealer having checked that and there was no issue.

Has anyone ever had such a problem? Is there a setting in the BMW 330e that I need to set? I have tried all three methods, Low, Regular and Maximum with no results. Does for some reason BMW prevents you from charging on other than their recommended charging stations? At BMW they said I need to ask permission to access the public charging stations at supermarket but the Pod Point customer services said no, you simply plug your vehicle, accept the charge and charge. Could it be my car is locked for any other charging station other than Chargemaster? I haven’t tried yet to charge on Source London since I am waiting for the card but that doesn’t matter because at my workplace we only have Pod Points.

If anyone has an answer I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Panos

·
Registered
5 Posts
Never managed to charge my 330e from anywhere other than home (or by BMW at their dealers) . On a national trust site , it said "low voltage" on the car display and the outside light went red.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Seen 330e charging on other stations although can't recall a PodPoint one but it's unlikely to be something with the PodPoints, they are just EVSE units like every other and are usually pretty reliable.

To my knowledge, there is no system or communication protocol in use on public Type 2s that can identify and block a particular car from charging (other than the charge point provider's payment / access system of course or a fault). Interested to hear anyone else's knowledge of such a thing!

Have you tried on any other public Type 2 EVSE? Bit painful I know but that's your starting point I think.

[EDIT] Have you checked in the manual for the order of plugging in?

Sounds stupid but on a few charging units, I have had it fail and other than faulty ones, it mostly seemed to be that I had plugged the car / charge point leads in in a particular order and the unit or car didn't like it.

Generally now, I plug the lead in the car, plug the lead in the charge point, use whatever authentication method exists to ignite the charge point then when it is live, lock the car to initiate charging.

·
Panos
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Gif, thank you for your input. So far I have been in contact with Pod-Point and BMW. According to Pod-Point the problem is with the cable. It has been reported that the cable has a manufacturing fault.

One of the live terminals has not been machined correctly so the cable cannot be fully inserted into the Pod Point, meaning the socket lock cannot engage.

BMW are aware of the fault and have replaced the cable free of charge in all instances where they have encountered the issue. I’m just waiting for them to replace mine. I can only hope that this is the problem and nothing else. Yet don’t understand why is there a problem on this cable and since BMW is aware of this, why are they still supplying their customers with a faulty cable.

Have a look on the picture to see where the problem is. I would suggest to anyone who want’s to buy a new cable to check it out immediately on charger other than the Chargemaster.

I will update you when I have the new cable and give it a go.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
The fact you are getting red lights suggests an error so I would assume that'll be the problem solved. Interesting that's the first I've heard of it on this or other boards and it should in theory affect any car. Unless of course they only supply that cable model for the hybrid or something. Again, can't see why as a Type 2 is pretty standard.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Might sound obvious, but have you turned your car off before plugging it in? I helped someone recently who was failing to charge because the car was still switched on when attempting to charge.

·
Panos
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Gif. Indeed I though there was an error on the Pod Points since I couldn’t believe that a brand new cable could be faulty. But I couldn’t understand how’s possible 15 charging station at different location could all be faulty. The Pod Point people look relatively positive that the cable is the problem and to be honest I don’t have much of a choice at the moment. I need to change the cable and see if indeed that was the issue.

The funny thing is that after I completed one of my failed attempts to charge my car, a BMW i3 plugged the cable on the one I couldn’t charge mine and had no issue.

Hi Steve. Yes I always have the vehicle turned off. I have also tried every possible plugging and unplugging combinations.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
The funny thing is that after I completed one of my failed attempts to charge my car, a BMW i3 plugged the cable on the one I couldn’t charge mine and had no issue.
You missed a trick there. You should have asked nicely if you could plug their cable into your car to see if it charged (y)

·
Panos
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know I should but the guy parked when I was looking for another socket a few meters down. When I eventually saw the i3 parked the guy had already walked away. I even waited for about 20 minutes but of course I can’t spend my day waiting to do what is given on these kind of cars. Hopefully they will not call me a stalker. Haha.

I have to say, I am rather dissapointed and if that’s the way it will go with this car, it is out.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Stick with it, once you get over the initial teething troubles, you'll be great. BTW if you add where you are to your profile, you may find someone nearby who is willing to assist when these things arrive to try you!

·
Panos
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm ok. Great thank you for the advise. I will keep updating this thread because I think more people will have the same problem. Let’s see.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also drive a 330e and Pod Point is my preferred public charging option because they always work properly, don't require an RFID card, and charge by the kWh not by the minute.

·
Panos
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi autolycus, in my case is not that I have much choice. This is the only system available at my work. At the moment the problem has been identified and I have discribed it on previous threads. I have an aftermarket cable at the moment and I’m using it until BMW sort this problem out. I though they would be more efficient and fast but I was wrong. Any way, what cable are you using? Is it the BMW? If yes is it the one with the BMW logo on it or with the “ i ” ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Gif, thank you for your input. So far I have been in contact with Pod-Point and BMW. According to Pod-Point the problem is with the cable. It has been reported that the cable has a manufacturing fault.

One of the live terminals has not been machined correctly so the cable cannot be fully inserted into the Pod Point, meaning the socket lock cannot engage.

BMW are aware of the fault and have replaced the cable free of charge in all instances where they have encountered the issue. I’m just waiting for them to replace mine. I can only hope that this is the problem and nothing else. Yet don’t understand why is there a problem on this cable and since BMW is aware of this, why are they still supplying their customers with a faulty cable.

Have a look on the picture to see where the problem is. I would suggest to anyone who want’s to buy a new cable to check it out immediately on charger other than the Chargemaster.

I will update you when I have the new cable and give it a go.
This is interesting - I also have a BMW-branded charging cable... it works fine on my home EO mini (which doesnt lock)
Ive always had big issues using GMEV points with the cable, but usually twisting and wiggling the plug on the post would eventually get it to handshake with the car and finally lock and begin charging.

I always suspected it was an issue with the cable - but could never find more people with the same issue.. i will compare my cable to your picture tomorrow.

·
Panos
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is interesting - I also have a BMW-branded charging cable... it works fine on my home EO mini (which doesnt lock)
Ive always had big issues using GMEV points with the cable, but usually twisting and wiggling the plug on the post would eventually get it to handshake with the car and finally lock and begin charging.

I always suspected it was an issue with the cable - but could never find more people with the same issue.. i will compare my cable to your picture tomorrow.
Hi Neo-VR, my problem is only with Pod-Point chargers. Never had a problem with every other system I’ve used so far. At BMW dealership they have no idea, not only what kind of charging systems exist on the streets but how this whole system works in general. And they are selling those vehicles to people. Any way, I was given another cable from Pod-Point, one that’s not BMW branded and it’s working perfectly on every charging system. The fun part is that they don’t want that cable back because they have opened a case and now they need to decide how to proceed. Not sure why even if I have proven to them where the problem is. They are on denial.

I can do my job with a that other cable so far but I want to either get one BMW that is working or my money back. At this point I want my money back to be honest.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just registered to reply to this thread. I drove a BMW 530e and have tried 2 different cables and experience the same problem. Pod point sent me the email about having a faulty cable which is not the case for me.
Also using pod point at a local Sainsbury’s. I’ve only had one successful pod point charge and that was at a McDonald’s in Norwich. Thinking about it, that was a wall mounted pod point which worked and not the floor mounted one.

·
Panos
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just a suggestion. Might be worth updating your thread title’s typo so other people can find the thread.
Hi there. I can’t change the thread’s name but I’ve managed to change the tag, so they will find it any way. Thanks for the observation.

·
Panos
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have 4 pod point stations at work and there are 2x 330e among our cars which charge with no issues at all.
Hi Biffa. The problem as I mentioned previously the problem is with the cable I was given by the Dealer. I have an aftermarket cable that I’m using for now and it’s working fine. So the verdict is that the they will have to take back the cable they gave me and give me another one. Hopefully one that has no problem. I guess I was unlucky with my purchase. My problem is with the dealer and the way they handle the case. A case that all you had to do is to replace the cable.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts