Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Indeed, did you pay on cc or by debit card? If no joy from the dealer just arrange a chargeback.

Although I recommended an official BMW cable to one of the guys at work and it is working fine, he borrowed my type 2 for a week and that worked fine also..

Just re-read your post which could read it was the cable included with that car or did you purchase one separately?

·
Panos
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Indeed, did you pay on cc or by debit card? If no joy from the dealer just arrange a chargeback.

Although I recommended an official BMW cable to one of the guys at work and it is working fine, he borrowed my type 2 for a week and that worked fine also..

Just re-read your post which could read it was the cable included with that car or did you purchase one separately?
Hi Biffa. I purchased the public cable separately. That is why I wanted them to replace it with another one pretty much straight away. Today I’ve received the replacement reference number from Pod-Point so I can go to a BMW dealer and replace the cable. Fingers crossed they will understand at the dealership what this number is for. So far they couldn’t understand how the cable works. If I get the new cable I’ll update the thread with the outcome.

·
Panos
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just a quick update. I have managed to get the replacement cable from BMW and it’s working with no problem on the Pod-Point charging systems.

For future reference and for people’s information with BMWs in general, when they purchase a cable they should have a look at the cable first. See the figure below. The port on the right (with the red) arrow is different than the one on the left. They should look exactly the same or at least in my case, on the new cable, both ports are identical and is working with no problem.

To be honest all this trouble I caught myself in was not worth it. I could have purchased an aftermarket. Any ways all good for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
that looks as though it has burnt out, which isn't a good sign!!!

Certainly not something you should be seeing on a "new" cable, when you received it was it sealed in packaging etc.. or was it handed over as is. Wonder if it was return from someone else, as you say certainly doesn't even look right

·
Panos
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
that looks as though it has burnt out, which isn't a good sign!!!

Certainly not something you should be seeing on a "new" cable, when you received it was it sealed in packaging etc.. or was it handed over as is. Wonder if it was return from someone else, as you say certainly doesn't even look right
Hi Biffa. The funny part is the cable in the picture is not even mine. It’s the picture Pod-Point sent to me, asking if that’s what I see when I look at the cable. That indicates that they have seen this before. And yes that’s how my cable looked like, brand new from the sealed box. So apparently there’s was a batch that came with this fault. But BMW instead of taking this batch of cables out of the market, left them there for people to spend their time trying to figure out why a BMW cable is not doing one of the most fundamental things, work.

What strikes me the most is the incompetence of the BMW’s dealer stuff. They have no knowledge whatsoever on the EV subject and yet they are advising people. Hahaha. That was fun.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Oooh, that for me would be a call to trading standards... as it is most certainly extracting the urine!

However the inept and uninformed front of house staff as it were, advising the motoring public from a position of cluelessness is not however restricted to BMW I am sorry to say.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi autolycus, in my case is not that I have much choice. This is the only system available at my work. At the moment the problem has been identified and I have discribed it on previous threads. I have an aftermarket cable at the moment and I’m using it until BMW sort this problem out. I though they would be more efficient and fast but I was wrong. Any way, what cable are you using? Is it the BMW? If yes is it the one with the BMW logo on it or with the “ i ” ?
I've got a genuine BMW cable bought from a dealership. Not got it in front of me at the moment but I'm fairly certain it has a BMW logo on it.

Anyway, having been saying on here on Wednesday that I've never had any problems with Pod Point, yesterday I parked at a PP charger I've used many times before, plugged in, confirmed the charge via the app, and when I got back to the car later on found it had only charged for 17 minutes.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Would that be a failure to register the charge from the app, ie you have hit it and it says confirmed but the back end hasn’t picked it up.

Units at work need a reboot, as they now don’t need to the charge confirming, which is great for the users, rock up, plug in walk off. No app required, happened a while after they were installed and was fixed by a reboot once, I have not mentioned it this time! :)

·
Panos
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I've got a genuine BMW cable bought from a dealership. Not got it in front of me at the moment but I'm fairly certain it has a BMW logo on it.

Anyway, having been saying on here on Wednesday that I've never had any problems with Pod Point, yesterday I parked at a PP charger I've used many times before, plugged in, confirmed the charge via the app, and when I got back to the car later on found it had only charged for 17 minutes.
Hi autolycus, I think I’m your case is as biffa said, failure to register rather than a faulty cable like in my case. I would say try a few times more or try other charging points, and if it persist then maybe drop them a call. My experience with PP was very good and I beliceve they will sort it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a quick update. I have managed to get the replacement cable from BMW and it’s working with no problem on the Pod-Point charging systems.

For future reference and for people’s information with BMWs in general, when they purchase a cable they should have a look at the cable first. See the figure below. The port on the right (with the red) arrow is different than the one on the left. They should look exactly the same or at least in my case, on the new cable, both ports are identical and is working with no problem.

To be honest all this trouble I caught myself in was not worth it. I could have purchased an aftermarket. Any ways all good for now.
Hi Panos,
I have been having the same problems as you, I’ve have purchased an aftermarket lead in the hope that it will start charging at pod points from now on. I will update you if this solves the problem.
So glad I found your thread as it’s been driving me nuts.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts