Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excuse me - this is a long ramble...

When we first got our Kona, charging it was a simple task, given we had the Bluelink app. I treated the Ohme charger as a dumb unit, a role in which it behaved perfectly. Similarly I ignored the Ohme app and used the Bluelink app to set the Kona to charge by 8am with the required charge (either 80% or 100%). Also because we were on a flat octopus rate it didn't matter as to exact charging start and end times, so I just asked the car to be charged by 8am. Also I only plugged in when the car had reduced its SOC to 50%.

We're now in a different world. I am thus replacing the intelligence of the Bluelink/in-car charge system and letting Ohme take the strain. Or at least that's the theory. It may be that I am overthinking this but given we're now on the Agile tariff I want (and indeed need) to get it as right as possible.

To start my bemusement the in-car charging setup is very sophisticated. I have tried to configure this as to what seems sensible. My goal being to ensure the Kona doesn't charge just because it is connected. So I have switched off scheduled charging. Obviously the Ohme rules only apply when at home so I have also enabled the checkbox to only apply these rules when at my home location.

Next I plug the charging cable into the Kona from the Ohme unit. It seems that the car starts to charge for about a minute. I presume this is the Ohme handshaking so it knows it can charge later. When I first saw this happening I thought I was going mad. The last thing I want is for the car to charge early in the evening when Agile prices are high!

The next thing is to set up the Ohme app. So I have three charging regimes.
a) 0% until midnight - which means that no charging takes place before midnight
b) 80% by 8am NotTuesdays
c) 100% by 8am TuesdaysOnly

And then I have changed by charging habit, so that I now plug in every day - regardless of use. Thus hoping to keep the car charged close to 80% daily. The idea being that when only topping up smaller amounts we make best use of Agile's lower costs, including those half-hour slots when it goes negative!

So, on nights of smaller charging I want to be able to see that the Ohme charger is kicking in appropriately. On such nights I might be only adding back 30 miles perhaps.

Obviously (for anyone who has been down this path) there is a Smart Meter in the process. Given the smart meter can inform me of (electricity) meter usage Ideally I'd like to capture smart meter reports. But so far I find the smart meter monitor a bit of a useless device, good in theory... So let's just park that for now.

Now, inside Hyundai it knows the SOC and sadly, as far as I can see, the Ohme doesn't know the SOC. And that's a rub. I have written to Ohme asking them to allow me to at least be able to enter the amount of SOC in the app. Or they could enable the Ohme app to read the SOC via OBD2.

For now I have told the Kona via it's settings to disallow charging above 80% other days and 100% on Tuesdays. So whatever the Ohme does it will halt at this point. Actually what happens is the Ohme app reports a possible error,

When I first saw this error I was worried the Ohme was stopping because of some other issue. Now I have learnt to simply ignore this "error", because it is the behaviour I actually want to happen.

Also, confusingly (initially at least) the Bluelink app can indicate the charger is connected and charging, even though it isn't. Another error I have found is where the Hyundai Bluelink app gets very confused and even thinks the battery is fully discharged. Typically a refresh of the app's communication with the Kona gives the correct reading. IMG20200830 ThamesSt OorKona Screenshot 060251.png

Inside the Ohme app there is a setting to block charging when the tariff is above a certain value. Initially I thought to use this to ensure charging was only allowed for low prices. Now I have realised a better use is to ensure it only charges when the cost is not ultra high, typically 4-7pm. That is to use it as a safeguard against excess costs.

Here is last night's charge report showing the Kona started charging at 3.45am to add 31 miles. It did this nicely last night because I entered the SOC and target SOC
manually.
IMG20200831 ThamesSt OorKona Screenshot 080157.png
This goes back to my point that the Ohme does not know the starting SOC. It only knows the target SOC and so charges sufficiently to achieve that. But it does that at the expense of not optimising against the agile tarriff.

To drive this point home, let's take today as a working example. Today we arrived home at 55% SOC. So tonight (being Tuesday) we want 45% added. That's going to take around 4 hours at 7kw/hr. So the Ohme charger will be operating for much of the night and it doesn't matter too much when that is.

But the Ohme charger doesn't know the starting SOC. The Ohme App only allows you to enter the max charge required - 80% or 100%. So for tonight that's a 100% (rather than an ideal 45%). So it has to start charging earlier, much earlier and will probably be finished at around 3am, say. Not ideal, and certainly not optimal for Agile tariff.

To enter an SOC is possible by editing the charging target, as it's called. This is the dialogue box to acheive that. There are a couple of nuances like the dialogue box appears with nonsense values so everything needs checking. Also it only is available when the charging cycle has actually begun.
IMG20200831 ThamesSt OorKona Screenshot 032532 EditChargeTarget.png

Does this mean the Ohme device is a waste of time? Hopefully not. In principle it can deliver. It just needs an SOC tweak and that will do for now.

I'm going to stop here. This is a learning process. If anyone else has been down this path I'd be veyr keen to share thoughts. For now my ramble is at an end.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi. I’ve got the eniro And a Ohme and only manages two charges so far but given my one worked as I had programmed I suspecct you may be over complicating somewhat. I will eventually have a similar depart on Tuesday rule to you needing 100% for a work trip each week, and will actually he testing that this thurs as have to be on road them this week

what I setup was

1/ logged into Kia uvo which is same as blue link on uvo In the ohme app ( this allows it to get the current soc)
2/ I connect charger so it is live before car ( ignore if you have a perm wired unit ). Thisis so it can have time to join 4g to speak to car without a delay for signal.
3 simple rule must be 80% every day of week by 6 am. That’s it.
4/ Set the max rate trigger to avoid peaks. I’ve set mine to 9p a kWh on agile. This stops it charging EVER at this rate or above, but over several days you would fill the car.
5/ plug cable in after 4:30pk when rates available for next dya... I have also plugged in before but found it didn’t update for new rates after 4:30( I could be wrong as only one charge before 4 so far ) . like You it clicks on to check cable for 30 secs to 1 min. Then turns off and shows me the plotted charge

i can then see it plans the charge prirortising all the cheaper 30 min periods between then and 6am and therefore found it clicked on some nights pre midnight ( for the cheaper 11pm to midnight periods we get)

Hope this helps. Im new to Ohme but the combination of the rate limit and the 80% rule seems to crack it for me at least. ( but be warned you’ll get no charge if above 9p but that’s what I want as why pay more if I can wait for cheaper rates. You can set lower if cheap Charging fullstop is your desire. )

Dan

·
Registered
148 Posts
Oh i would note the uvo app also notifies of interrupted charge as the Ohme cycles. I am turning this off when at home ...

·
Registered
148 Posts
The max rate trigger is in the top right settings and isn’t in the charge profile annoyingly too in the Ohme app but will massively simplify things.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok, I think I have this sorted now. Ohme has a FAQ webpage that summarises the position https://www.ohme-ev.com/resources/. It doesn't explain the bluelink relationship, so let's just ignore that side. What that page indicates is that because the App can't interrogate for the SOC it must be entered into the ohme app. So I will have to do that daily. The place to do that is in the charge profile settings as indicated in the original post. Once done the whole thing works.

The downside is it is not a set it and leave it, which is what I would hope for. A small daily intervention. Also the ability to set different charging profiles for different days makes no sense anymore. Remember I have set the max charge cost at 20p so the 4-8pm very expensive Agile timeslot is blocked.

My result last night after adding 45%?
IMG20200901 ThamesSt OorKona OhmeApp Screenshot 072831.png IMG20200901 ThamesSt OorKona OhmeApp Screenshot 073007.png
Showing the charge starting around midnight until around 6am, costing £2.35. Which of course is less than a 10th of the £25 it would have cost to put half a tank of petrol into my previous ICE.) And as the screen says it is about 50% the cost of Octopus' standard tariff.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-2008 GT-LINE
72 Posts
Also could the 0% by midnight not interfere, I think the Ohme takes the next schedule once you plug it in and then doesn't move to next one once complete so if you plug in before midnight it will start the schedule of adding 0%. Maybe try disabling this schedule as the Ohme will then proceed to charge to 80% by 8am using cheapest half hour slots

·
Registered
148 Posts
@andyswarbs May be worth a call to Ohme. The Kia Uvo integration only was "officially" working I think a couiple of weeks ago from others in that forum -> it's been in beta a few months. Bluelink will probably be similar given it's near identical given the similarity and Hyundai owning both brands -> but it did require me to "change vehicle" in the app, then choosing the niro, which then asked my Uvo credentials.. But yes, that removed the need for me to "insert" the charge at start of charge, but it does take about a minute to do that!

As said, I think I'll be going to "2 profiles" like you and am testing that this Thurs as don't need a 100% charge until we do our long run then (200 mi, so need it!). But I expect it'll be much like you suggested of removing the 80% daily profile from that day, and setting a new departure target for 100% by 3pm thursday when I plug in the charger on Wednesday. Whilst I have the 80% profile set it'll be charging at or below 7.93p for me (which is my pay for the Omhe over a year target). There is no point leaving car plugged in for us ahead of Weds night, as I don't need to change the car tonight * unless I see cheap rates*, given my current 50% is fine for any journey before then.

From my mind it's doing what I paid for the ohme, in it will optimise the 30 min slots from Weds to Thurs to charge most effeciently from my current (50%) SOC to 100%. I'll actually be turning off the "max" rate for this charge as I KNOW I need 100% before we go.

There is the option if I see cheap rates tonight of simply lowering my "max rate" to say 5p to get in any 30 min period below that, if there are any. Given current agile prices however, I suspect it'll be cheaper Weds... I hope!

·
Registered
134 Posts
When home charging it can get complicated if you're setting charge limits in the car itself and then limits in the Ohme app. I spoke to Ohme and Kia about this and they advised leave the car at 100% and set the limits in the Ohme app. When away from home use the car settings to program limits instead.
Also when I got my e-Niro the Ohme app could not connect the car's API so SOC was read as 0%. Just had to work out what % I wanted to add. An update since now connects to API so app much better. You can limit the p/kWh in either the "change target" when connected or under the tariff settings. The Ohme app works just as I wanted and expected now except the status shows the mileage now and target mileage for charge set but I'd also like to see % now and target %. Ohme says working on this with an update.

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
98 Posts
I thought the accepted wisdom was to only charge the battery when it is low, say at 20-30% and to limit max charge to 70% for maximum battery life. Topping up every day to keep it at 80% degrades the battery faster than rapid charging to 80%

1 - 9 of 9 Posts