Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I'm planning on taking my new e-Golf on a long trip for the first time (Leeds to Surrey). Having driven to Manchester and back last night with a little charge in between, I am now worried I may need to stop 3x to get to Surrey.

Has anyone done this trip or similar? I'm expecting I will need to drive at a slow pace on the motorway - I'm thinking 60mph on adaptive cruise control? Or am I better trying to avoid the motorway as much as possible, even though it will take longer?

How rapid does the GOM drop when driving at 80mph? For example how many miles would I likely get from 100% charge if I constantly drove at 80mph? About 50...?

Do the rapid charging points on the M1 services come with their own cable?

Any advice or tips greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
From a full charge and driving at a steady 65mph, I always plan on 125 miles before the first stop.

At 80mph, I think you’d be looking at a 75-80 mile range.

Don’t plan on those M1 charge points being reliable if they’re Ecotricity rapids, CCS is often not working and/or being single site there’s a chance they’ll be in use. Plot via some Polar or Instavolt rapids and you’ll be in better shape.

Instavolt are my ‘go to’ sites now, almost always 2-4 chargers, reliable and quick. Almost an SC network for non Tesla’s.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I did Leeds > Reading in freezing cold rain in our old 30kWh Soul last Winter which is a little less efficient than the e-Golf, but has the advantage on not having CCS. I managed two stops on the way down and needed three on the way back (mainly as I wanted to drive around 70-75mph and didn’t quite depart with 100% charge from the hotel I was staying at). Even with a car with a Chademo plug I still had better results from Engie and Instavolt chargers just off the motorway.

·
Registered
417 Posts
80mph will annihilate range.
Motorway. 60-65mph.
Personally I aim to stop every 95 miles or so, to give some buffer to drive to a backup charger if there’s a problem. You also won’t have 100% charge after the first stop.

Aim for Instavolt or Polar. Plenty on that route

·
Registered
768 Posts
Quickly putting the route into ABRP it suggests a new E-Golf could do it in 2 charges, one at the Polar charger at Novotel Nottingham Derby, and a second one at Milton Keynes (Ionity - Expensive, but there are Polar chargers EVERYWHERE in MK)

I suggest you put your exact journey into that website and you can tweak exactly how low you're willing to go with your battery, and how fast you want to drive in order to see what would work best for you.

I'd say stick to the motorway and within the speed limit, but charge away from the service stations. As has already been said you'll struggle to get a reliable CCS charge from the Ecotricity chargers at the services unless they are the new style units, which there aren't many of at the moment. You'll find plenty of chargers just a short distance from the motorway at various hotels, supermarkets, pubs, restraunts and shopping or leisure centres. If you have a Polar membership make use of them, otherwise just look for Instavolt as you can pay by contactless credit card nice and simple. Plus almost all their chargers are installed in pairs, so if one is busy or broken, another is right next to it and will hopefully work fine for you.

As has already been said too, all rapid chargers have the cables tethered so you won't need to use your own. Just be sure to use the CCS connector, and not the Type 2 AC connector that you typically use at home as that will charge just as slowly.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Amazing advice from everyone, thank you!

I'm just downloading the apps suggested and will take a look. Previously, in a diesel I could do the trip in under 4hrs with little traffic. ABRP appears to show 5hrs and 2 stops, which seems very good.

Thanks again - I'll be back later

·
Registered
683 Posts
In my e golf this would only be a 1 stop (assuming i can charge at destination). At this time of the yr (warm temps) you could do 140ml at 65mph assuming no heating and minimal fan cooling. The problem people need to be aware of is a very strong head/tail wind which has the effect of up to +/- 10%.

The range is totally under your control by what speed you do so at 80mph /100mls range and at 40mph/180mls. So for this journey i would start off at 65mph/140mls. And hope to stop in the range 120 to 130mls.

So lets say your chosen stop is at 125mls and your starting range is 145mls. After about 10mls on the motorway and things have settled down have a rain check by adding distance done to distance to go which in this eg could be 125mmls + 10% reserve = 137mmls lets say 140 mls. Now continue for another 30mls say and add the 2 distances together again and see if it has gone up or down. If its gone up you can go a lttle faster but if gone down make sure you still have enough distance to reach your plan B charging station and if not slow down to say 60mph. Dont get range anxiety just remember all you have to do is slow down. (at 30mph you can do 200mls)

DO NOT rely on Ecotricity. Most of the Polar rapids take contactless but check on Zap map. Instavolt is the best.

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts
When doing longer journeys in my Zoe ZE40 I do NOT use tools like ABRP. I prefer to plan it manually and look at where I might make my stop(s), typically with around 20% remaining. Using ZapMap I then try and find a cluster of chargers in that area. That way if my first choice is in use or not working it is not far to option B or C. Obviously if you aren't guaranteed a charge at your destination you may need to arrive there with a decent charge, so may need a stop close to the end of your journey.

ABRP works well for planning Supercharger stops in our Model S in USA because we can be 99% sure there will be a stall available and working. Using it to plan stops on solo rapid chargers in UK is too risky IMHO.

Also as others have said you need to keep speed down or you will be charging very often and make it a long journey! In Zoe I tend to set cruise around 66mph - I don't like being too slow vs other traffic. Others will be able to be more specific re eGolf.

·
Registered
802 Posts
220 miles would require two charges for 60mph, and take 3 hours 40 mins, or three charges at 80 mph and take 2 hours 45 mins.

Can you see the contradiction there? If a charge takes 55 mins, you might as well go at 60. :)

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,881 Posts
Quickly putting the route into ABRP it suggests a new E-Golf could do it in 2 charges, one at the Polar charger at Novotel Nottingham Derby, and a second one at Milton Keynes (Ionity - Expensive, but there are Polar chargers EVERYWHERE in MK)
Apparently there are roadworks near the Novotel Nottingham which necessitates a long detour to get back on the motorway. If the charger is in a hotel or restaurant car park, check that there is access if they’re still closed due to Covid 19.

MK Coachway P&R just off J14 of M1. Nine 50kW polar chargers and four 350kW Ionity (if you’re feeling flush with money! )

Reactions: 80698

·
Registered
137 Posts
I did Bradford to Bromley collecting my eGolf, in January (6 degrees and rain)! And the battery was only half full when I picked it up. 70 on cruise, heating on all the way.

I got a trial Polar subscription so did a Holiday Inn by Rotherham (longish stop for coffee), Harvester near Loughborough (for a quick lunch), then the MK Coachway hub gave me enough to get home.

ABRP is good to get a general idea. These days I mostly plan around lowest hassle (least risk of waiting or broken chargers) - so anywhere with lots of CCS chargers in one place is best (like the MK hub), then a lot of Instavolt sites have two or more chargers, then Polar or Shell sites off the motorway are often quiet. I won't hate too much on Ecotricity at the services but often there's just one unit with CCS and there's a higher chance of someone already using it. Can be an OK option at quiet times though when you don't want to come off the motorway.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Apparently there are roadworks near the Novotel Nottingham which necessitates a long detour to get back on the motorway. If the charger is in a hotel or restaurant car park, check that there is access if they’re still closed due to Covid 19.

MK Coachway P&R just off J14 of M1. Nine 50kW polar chargers and four 350kW Ionity (if you’re feeling flush with money! )
we used that MK national express P&R recently, very impressed. There’s 4 ionity next to the main Polar hub, plus there’s more charging posts around the car park. Only downside was the coach terminal was shut but in normal-ish times you could be inside with a coffee

1 - 13 of 13 Posts