Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - Covid permitting, I’m planning to drive from mid Scotland to south Wales in July (about 480 miles), for a wedding. I’d welcome any advice on planning for charging on route, in terms of how often to stop, and any particular locations to try, or avoid. My usual route is M6, M5, M50.

I’ve had the eNiro since October and have tried a few ChargePlace Scotland chargepoints, but haven’t been outside Scotland. My main concern, due to zero experience, is what is the probability when arriving at a planned charging location that there’ll actually be a working free chargepoint. I’m also not sure which charging cards it’s worth getting in advance.

·
Registered
Audi eTron 55
1,068 Posts
For a one off trip like that I'd highly recommend using InstaVolt. Usually installed in pairs (at least) so much less likely to be busy, generally very reliable and easy to use with standard contactless credit or debit card. There is an app available with incentives, but the cost difference is minimal so unless you're really keen to save it's probably not worth the faff. Find the ones handiest to your route with your routeplaner of choice...ZapMap, PlugShare, ABRP all work...in slightly different ways.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,888 Posts
Run your route through ABRP. Let us know what it comes back with.

Beyond that, as long as it is July, should be warmer, but still 500 miles is an easy 10hr drive. My suggestion would be a sleepover halfway. But that is just me...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Run your route through ABRP. Let us know what it comes back with.

Beyond that, as long as it is July, should be warmer, but still 500 miles is an easy 10hr drive. My suggestion would be a sleepover halfway. But that is just me...
This.

When I did Edinburgh to Folkstone last year.
Different route but similar distance/time

We stopped for dinner about 120 miles in, quick top up.
Stopped somewhere near Sheffield for the night at a hotel with destination chargers.
Set off in the morning on 100% stopped for lunch and a top up somewhere outside the m25.

Gone are the days where id finish work at 5 then do an Edinburgh to London drive. And that's nothing to do with the car

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
2,045 Posts
I’ve found looking at the comments in Zap-Map for any charger I plan to use is helpful. Not foolproof but if there’s a recurring issue at that charger recent comments can help avoid wasting time. The Instavolt or Osprey chargers are most reliable but often a short detour off your main route.

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
Do any of the big charge mappers use what 3 words locations yet? I’ve found finding the actual chargers on a site difficult sometimes

Reactions: Lapin and uskyrt

·
Registered
450 Posts
Do any of the big charge mappers use what 3 words locations yet? I’ve found finding the actual chargers on a site difficult sometimes
I guess this would likely be a community effort?

We should ask them to add the field & try to fill in our local chargers.

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Plan to arrive at en-route chargers with at least 30% so that the lack of an available charge is not crucial and you can just go on to your planned backup. Stop en-route rapid charges at 75% because above that the charge rate is slow. Getting back down to 30% will take you another 180 miles by when you'll need another break anyway.

·
Registered
132 Posts
As well as ABRP I'd take a look at Zap Map - filter by "CCS" and "Payment type contactless" and you'll have a pretty good picture of your options which require no RFID cards or apps. Having had a quick look it looks like you're more than adequately provisioned for this journey - although you'll mostly have to come off the motorway to find the chargers. Looks dead easy; suspect you'll be needing breaks more often than the Niro at that time of year too.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,888 Posts
Plan to arrive at en-route chargers with at least 30% so that the lack of an available charge is not crucial and you can just go on to your planned backup. Stop en-route rapid charges at 75% because above that the charge rate is slow. Getting back down to 30% will take you another 180 miles by when you'll need another break anyway.
I have to disagree with your math there.... 75% down to 30% is not 180miles. At best it is 120, or careful 135miles.

Still more than enough travel time for a stop/break.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208 / '22 ID.3 Family
3,777 Posts
ETA - just noticed the trip is to south Wales - so what follows isn’t much use!

Personally, I’d probably just use two Ionity stops.

(This is planned with a Kona in 18°C - so would need adjusting accordingly, but you get the idea. You also need to consider how much charge you want to arrive with, can you charge at the designation - and for how long and at what speed, will you use the car much when there before the return trip, etc)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Did an Edinburgh to Cambridge drive back when things were more relaxed in a Zoe 50. Prioritised Instavolt as they're contactless, hardly ever broken and always come at least in pairs so ICE-ing/someone else already there is much less of a problem. And check on Zapmap if it's already in use. They're brilliant.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have to disagree with your math there.... 75% down to 30% is not 180miles. At best it is 120, or careful 135miles.

Still more than enough travel time for a stop/break.
You are quite right; thanks for pointing out my error. If I had calculated as I intended I would have said that 45% of battery in July would get you 115 miles. But, as you say, it is still far enough to drive without a break.

·
3,777 Posts
This is a good video for helping to decide whether to bother seeking out an ultra rapid charger, or not. (At least in ideal battery conditions)

·
3,777 Posts
In mild-warm conditions, 25 mins at a 100kW+ charger should take the battery from 10% to the 56% tapering point.

At a 50kW charger, the battery will have reached only 38% in that time.

Whether it matters or not is up to each individual and the circumstances.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Graham, whatever route you pick, allow two reserve charging stations for each stop. If you don't need them, no harm done. If your 1st or 2nd choice aren't working for you, you'll be glad you had another option - especially if it's working!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Excellent idea.
Have you thought about starting a new thread about this.
Could use Zap-map and where it asked for suggested updates, put it in there. If enough people update this with their local chargers I'm sure zap-map will update their system for this Info.
Good for everyone.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts