Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently Nissan advises that you allow the battery charge to go below 80% before charging.

Does this apply to us and if not, why not? They're both li-ion.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Until someone who isn't guessing comes along...

I think it'll be a physical vs logical capacity thing. If in the Leaf 80% logical = 80% physical but in the Ampera 100% Logical = 80% physical (i.e. Ampera doesn't use all its battery capacity for a "100%" charge) then the advice may well be justifiably different between the two models.

Reactions: PRO-AMPERA

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point Mark; I should have thought of that!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
From memory the numbers work out quite close.

Isn't it 10.9 kWh usable from a 16.6 kWh pack (again, haven't checked exact numbers)? That gives you 5.7 kWh buffer. Put 2.85 kWh at either end and a 100% charge is 2.85/16.6 percent short of capacity, which is 83%.

I'm sure the Leaf isn't subject to Star Trek style consequence limits i.e. 80.0% leaves the battery and indeed the universe unaffected and 80.1% kills everyone on the Enterprise and violates the Prime Directive style of thing...

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
Has anyone (I am thinking US here) hacked the Volt to let you use more of the battery, My 2012 only lets me use 9.7kWh:(

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Has anyone (I am thinking US here) hacked the Volt to let you use more of the battery, My 2012 only lets me use 9.7kWh:(
It does seem mean only letting us have 62% of the battery. I'd rather have 100% now and worry about degradation later.

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
It does seem mean only letting us have 62% of the battery. I'd rather have 100% now and worry about degradation later.
Me too.
I have always disliked cars that think they know better than you. The most depressing thing in the EV world for me is pulling into my village and the ICE starting up. Shut up you stupid car I am only 1/2 a mile from home let me get there on battery

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Afraid you'll just have to press Hold for 1/2 mile before, so you can silently glide past your neighbours.

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
Afraid you'll just have to press Hold for 1/2 mile before, so you can silently glide past your neighbours.

Its not a espionage thing, it just p155es me of that I know there is another couple of miles still in the batteries and I am only yards from home, let me decide what should happen not some faceless computer. Starting to feel like Will Smith in IRobot, now where is my bionic arm?:p

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
No, I disagree :) The design philosophy of the Volt was that the driver did NOT have to to think about the battery , special charging techniques to get the best out of it, and so on. The aim was to just make it simple - plug it in, forget it, no optimisation necessary, and the knowledge that the car , based on extensive research by the manufacturer, was ensuring the longevity of the battery.
That works for me ;-)

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
No, I disagree :) The design philosophy of the Volt was that the driver did NOT have to to think about the battery , special charging techniques to get the best out of it, and so on. The aim was to just make it simple - plug it in, forget it, no optimisation necessary, and the knowledge that the car , based on extensive research by the manufacturer, was ensuring the longevity of the battery.
That works for me ;-)

I agree, but I do wonder if they have been too clever.
In 5 years time if my car still is close to 100% battery and 100000 miles on the clock it would be very hard for me to order my P85 with my wife saying "there is nothing wrong with this car, it's going to last forever. YOU CAN'T HAVE ONE"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts