Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Retired and travel US with a an RV. Considering pulling an EV. RV parks usually have 220 hookups (30 and 50 amps). Four questions:
1. Can these be used to recharge the EV?
2. If so are any special connections required?
3. If so what are they? I would like a fast recharge . The vehicle I’m looking at can recharge 100 miles in 10 min. and has up to a 350 mile range.
4. What factors or conditions affect the estimated range?

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,663 Posts
Number 3 Is your biggest problem here. You can use a 220v supply to charge at 7kW. With an average efficiency of 3 Miles per kWh then you would be looking at ~21 miles per hour charging. You'll need an 'EVSE' that has the same connector as what the RV Parks use. But sometimes their wiring is not always up carrying such a high current and you may trip the breakers and be unable to charge there.

220v is going to be AC. You will need to use DC Fast chargers at their specific locations in order to get these higher speeds that you are talking about of about 100 miles in 10 minutes. I Suggest you look at Plugshare.com and look for the Orange markers. These are the DC charging options... Just ignore any titled as 'Supercharger' unless it's a Tesla that you are looking to buy.

Loads of things impact the range. The amount of weight you are carrying or towing, if you are going up or downhill, how fast you are driving, if it is wet or dry, if it is hot or cold, if you are using the heater/AC etc. Loads of variables so be sure to research the real world range people get from the specific model you are looking at to avoid disappointment.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I'm not American and have limited knowledge of RV parks but is the point of them to stay overnight? In which case why do you need to charge the car so quickly when it's parked all night?
8 hours of 30A 220V = 52.8kWh = 158 miles at 3 miles/kWh

·
Registered
552 Posts
Retired and travel US with a an RV. Considering pulling an EV. RV parks usually have 220 hookups (30 and 50 amps). Four questions:
1. Can these be used to recharge the EV?
2. If so are any special connections required?
3. If so what are they? I would like a fast recharge . The vehicle I’m looking at can recharge 100 miles in 10 min. and has up to a 350 mile range.
4. What factors or conditions affect the estimated range?
In case you are not aware, many EVs cannot be towed. Towing damages the motor. However, you may have found an EV that is OK to tow.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
If the EV is front wheel drive, you should be ok to tow it with the front wheels raised off the ground. Also, providing the handbrake, if it's on the rear wheels, is disengaged properly. What's dangerous is turning the driven wheels, which is very likely to generate huge voltages, v damaging to he electronics if they're not fully powered up & expecting this (regen) to happen!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts