Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
What are the common apps to use public charging points? Got podpoint and shell.
I have ...

Apps:

Ecotricity
ChargeYourCar
PodPoint
Polar Instant
Shell Recharge
ChargePoint

RFID Cards/Key Fobs

ChargeYourCar
ChargePoint
PodPoint
Polar/ChargeMaster
Shell
Alpha
GeniePoint

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have ...

Apps:

Ecotricity
ChargeYourCar
PodPoint
Polar Instant
Shell Recharge
ChargePoint

RFID Cards/Key Fobs

ChargeYourCar
ChargePoint
PodPoint
Polar/ChargeMaster
Shell
Alpha
GeniePoint

that's a lot, shame you can't just use a card, can you use tesla points

·
Registered
276 Posts
You cannot use Tesla charging points.

No problem with the cards and apps. I have been driving EVs for 5 years and never seen it as a problem. My wife has about 30 different store cards - never heard her complaining.

I use apps to pay at some food outlets as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You cannot use Tesla charging points.

No problem with the cards and apps. I have been driving EVs for 5 years and never seen it as a problem. My wife has about 30 different store cards - never heard her complaining.

I use apps to pay at some food outlets as well.
so it is advisable to install all the above apps on mine and wife's phone

·
Registered
276 Posts
so it is advisable to install all the above apps on mine and wife's phone
If you or your wife will be driving more than 150 miles a day on journeys that do not return you home, yes you will need to get the apps. It is also advisable to get the RFID cards where possible. The ChargeMyCar App is appalling to use.

The Apps are simple to download and register. For Polar/Chargemaster they also offer an RFID Card with a monthly membership of about £6.95. This will give you cheaper rate charging on the Rapid Chargers, and free charging on most 7kW chargers they put up in carparks and shopping areas.

Engenie is another Rapid Charger you will see in many locations. These don't require apps or RFID cards - you just pay with your credit or debit card at the pump. I think Shell Chargers allow this as well, though it is dearer that using the RFID Card. GeniePoint also allow you to register your Credit or Debit card at the charger for use as an RFID card for payment at their chargers - Morrisons are putting them in their carparks.

If you travel to Scotland a lot then you will need the Charge Place Scotland RFID (I think).

However, in saying that, the vast majority of your charging will be on your home charger.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you or your wife will be driving more than 150 miles a day on journeys that do not return you home, yes you will need to get the apps. It is also advisable to get the RFID cards where possible. The ChargeMyCar App is appalling to use.

The Apps are simple to download and register. For Polar/Chargemaster they also offer an RFID Card with a monthly membership of about £6.95. This will give you cheaper rate charging on the Rapid Chargers, and free charging on most 7kW chargers they put up in carparks and shopping areas.

Engenie is another Rapid Charger you will see in many locations. These don't require apps or RFID cards - you just pay with your credit or debit card at the pump. I think Shell Chargers allow this as well, though it is dearer that using the RFID Card. GeniePoint also allow you to register your Credit or Debit card at the charger for use as an RFID card for payment at their chargers - Morrisons are putting them in their carparks.

If you travel to Scotland a lot then you will need the Charge Place Scotland RFID (I think).

However, in saying that, the vast majority of your charging will be on your home charger.
thank look it these we do intend longer journeys

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ionity is another charger you may come across. There are not many in the UK, but best to avoid unless you are desperate. They generally work well and use your Credit/Debit card for payment, but they are putting their price up for non-VW/Audi/Porsche owners to £0.69 /kWh. That's makes it cheaper to drive around in an ICE car than your EV.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I use Ecotricity a lot and polar occasionally. Despite their poor reputation the ecotricity chargers I use regularly have always worked so far. I use the growing network of Silverstone Green Energy ones as well, owned by my brother, not that he hooks me up with a discount ?

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
987 Posts
If you or your wife travel to Scotland a lot then you will need the Charge Place Scotland RFID (I think).
Just to clarify and avoid somebody wasting money... If you have the CYC app or RFID card it will work as a Chargeplace Scotland (CPS) membership too. Same in reverse.

They are the exact same network just hiding behind a different brand. The same goes with quite a few other regional charging networks (for now) too - for example GMEV in and around Manchester, its again just another brand that uses the CYC network, facilities, access cards and billing system.

The only thing to note is that a Polar Plus membership also gives access to CYC chargers, though for the most part that access agreement doesn't stretch north of the border into Scotland.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Here is good video that runs through all the great public charging suggestions made by John.
It’s not completely up to date, but it’s pretty much bang on !,

·
Registered
143 Posts
Does anyone have any experience of using any of the charging apps on an Android Go phone?

My wife does not have a smartphone, and has no great desire for one. But as we are going fully BEV, she is going to have to have one to cover herself for needing to charge away from home if I am elsewhere and have taken my phone.

She's ticked off enough about being forced to buy something she doesn't want because of the complete dog's dinner of charging systems in the UK, let alone it costing more than it needs to... And may never be used.

Hence the question. You can buy an Android GO Nokia for £70, but it's pointless if it won't work for the intended purpose. I believe normal Android apps will load - but what will performance be like?

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
She's ticked off enough about being forced to buy something she doesn't want because of the complete dog's dinner of charging systems in the UK, let alone it costing more than it needs to... And may never be used.
You should have seen the posts when EcoT stopped being free and removed the RFID go in favour of an app. Not everyone owns a smart phone (just like your wife). When that happened I bought myself a £40 special from Tesco with PAYG (I already had a Microsoft phone!!!). As long as you remember to turn data on when you need it, it will suffice for charging and mapping apps. No need to spend a fortune.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Here is good video that runs through all the great public charging suggestions made by John.
It’s not completely up to date, but it’s pretty much bang on !,
Wish I'd seen that before spending most of yesterday tearing my hair out! Thank you. I think I'd found everything relevant to my trip next weekend.

The Shell info is not up to date, the app's name has changed, you can get an RFID or pay contactless. But that was all that screamed at me.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You should have seen the posts when EcoT stopped being free and removed the RFID go in favour of an app. Not everyone owns a smart phone (just like your wife). When that happened I bought myself a £40 special from Tesco with PAYG (I already had a Microsoft phone!!!). As long as you remember to turn data on when you need it, it will suffice for charging and mapping apps. No need to spend a fortune.
I know - I had a Windows Phone as well. But given the price EcoT initially set, we used our ICE for motorway journeys! Didn't take the C-0 on a long distance drive till I had an Android.

We pick up our ZS on Tuesday, won't have an ICE any longer, and have to drive down to Exeter on Friday from South Wales. EH should do us, but I've been sorting out plan B, C & D...

I wonder if Tesco are still doing specials??

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
987 Posts
Does anyone have any experience of using any of the charging apps on an Android Go phone?

My wife does not have a smartphone, and has no great desire for one. But as we are going fully BEV, she is going to have to have one to cover herself for needing to charge away from home if I am elsewhere and have taken my phone.

Hence the question. You can buy an Android GO Nokia for £70, but it's pointless if it won't work for the intended purpose. I believe normal Android apps will load - but what will performance be like?
Android Go can be a bit funny with certain apps in my experience. If I was you I would be looking for an alternative. O2 regularly sell 'Like New' refurbished phones which are unlocked so you can use them with any network. The Huawei Y6 2019 they do for £50 and its going to give you a better screen, double the RAM and better performance than you'll see on any Android Go device. Plus it will likely have better battery too.

If you'd rather buy new, they have a Moto E6 plus on offer for only £9 more than you were originally going to pay for this Nokia but will get full Android and better performance for around the same price point.

(That should again also be unlocked, and has free next working day delivery if bought online. You don't need to buy a top up or anything with it)

With exception to Ecotricity (which is hit and miss with CCS anyways) and Pod Point you don't strictly need a phone. Pretty much all the other networks would be accessible with a selection of RFID cards/fobs kept in the glove box. One to think about depending on where abouts you'll be driving. If the routes are well covered by other networks it shouldn't be too much of a worry.

Finally, if you don't want a smartphone you can still charge at these chargers. The likes of Pod Point and Ecotricity both have mobile sites you can visit. If you have a dumb phone with a half decent Web browser it can be done that way instead.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts