Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 2021 38.3kWh
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I’m just being paranoid here but I’m looking for some advice if that’s ok

I am staying at an Airbnb in the uk next weekend and have been advised by the owner there is a 13amp outside socket suitable to charge my car from whilst we stay there

there are other local free chargers we can use during our stay so whilst we don’t “have” to use it - it would be nicer to not have to rely on the local infrastructure to dictate where we park etc

at home of course we can check our own consumer units and rcds and wiring etc to know it’s up to scratch etc but this is not something I can do at someone else’s property

would there be an issue with using this socket? Maybe by lowering the charge rate/using a socket tester/using a tough lead with built in rcd - or am I just being overly paranoid?

I drive a brand new 2021 ioniq full EV, and have the official Hyundai granny charger

thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your charger will only be 10A anyway, and the owner has said there’s an outside socket and you’ve got permission to use it for charging the car.

Fill your boots I say.
You’re probably right
I’ve been sorting our home install and I think I’ve read far too much into it all (just out of curiosity - we are having it professionally installed of course) and I’ve ended up making myself paranoid about electrical fires and so on!

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,033 Posts
The use of a granny charger at a new location is the same as if you are actually at your granny's house or at an air bnb. Check for heat build-up at the plug/socket in the first half hour and then again an hour later. If it's still just barely warm then most likely all will be well. Just be wary and reduce the current if your system allows that. Same rules apply everywhere really.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
This feels like a thread where I should spread my particular brand of doom and gloom
I am staying at an Airbnb in the uk next weekend and have been advised by the owner there is a 13amp outside socket suitable to charge my car from whilst we stay there
The owner has said it has suitable, so you can only assume that they've done their due diligence.
would there be an issue with using this socket? Maybe by lowering the charge rate/using a socket tester/using a tough lead with built in rcd - or am I just being overly paranoid?
If you're worried (or not in a rush), lowering the charge rate wouldn't be a terrible idea. Socket tester won't do much. RCD protects against specific types of problem, but generally not fires - if the socket and wiring can't take the constant 10A load, the RCD won't help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This feels like a thread where I should spread my particular brand of doom and gloom

The owner has said it has suitable, so you can only assume that they've done their due diligence.

If you're worried (or not in a rush), lowering the charge rate wouldn't be a terrible idea. Socket tester won't do much. RCD protects against specific types of problem, but generally not fires - if the socket and wiring can't take the constant 10A load, the RCD won't help.
It it helps the socket is usually used for a hot tub until we plug the car in...

it will be charging overnight and some of the evening/morning so potentially 12~ hours so dropping the rate would probably still get us a good chunk of charge

I’ll probably go with the tried and tested check the socket every 30 minutes for a couple hours method and then decide

Reactions: TomH

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
I've toasted 2 sockets now, charging at 10A. Both were brand/very new. Neither was an MK one. I'd strongly recommend charging at 6A rather than 10, far kinder to a possible-cheapo socket that might have been fitted.

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
364 Posts
Just got home from a long weekend in te Yorkshire Dales, where the cottage owner said we could plug out ID.4 into their garage socket. We did take the precaution of lowering the charging rate to 8a (the ID.4 has a "reduce AC charge" option that drops the amps by ~20%) but we happily topped up every night. In retrospect we really didn't need to - we could have gone the entire trip with a short rapid charge at the instavolt on the way up, and the same on the way home. We drove around quite a bit and never dropped below 80% while we were there!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts