Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been answered somewhere before and forgive me if this is a stupid question I'm new to EV's.
I commute to multiple places of work and 4 out of the 5 locations I can do the round trip entirely on 1 charge, the other location is about 80 miles round trip meaning I have to use a dinosaur juice for my return journey (Vauxhall Ampera).

The area in question is just on the outskirts of Chelmsford which appears to be completely awful for public charging... Zap-map shows a VW dealership with 2 chargers available and its only a 7min walk from work so that would make my entire working week electric only, however I don't know how the dealership will feel about me just rocking up and using their charger all day... What are dealerships general stance on this? Can any Tom, Dick or Harry park up at charge for free or should you, at least in some way, be a customer?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,100 Posts
This has probably been answered somewhere before and forgive me if this is a stupid question I'm new to EV's.
I commute to multiple places of work and 4 out of the 5 locations I can do the round trip entirely on 1 charge, the other location is about 80 miles round trip meaning I have to use a dinosaur juice for my return journey (Vauxhall Ampera).

The area in question is just on the outskirts of Chelmsford which appears to be completely awful for public charging... Zap-map shows a VW dealership with 2 chargers available and its only a 7min walk from work so that would make my entire working week electric only, however I don't know how the dealership will feel about me just rocking up and using their charger all day... What are dealerships general stance on this? Can any Tom, Dick or Harry park up at charge for free or should you, at least in some way, be a customer?
You can call the dealer and ask. The chances are they'll allow you to plug in once as an emergency thing to get a top up. But especially since you aren't even driving a VW Vehicle I can't see them welcoming you to do this as a regular thing.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GT Line R135
222 Posts
100% agree.

A one-off they might be OK with. Expecting to regularly rely on it is taking the p a bit - espcially when you have no problem getting home on petrol, and they'd have to take a charger out of use for their own needs/ paying customers.

Worth an ask, though. You might also find someone on here or on Just Park who would dangle an extension lead out of the window.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts