Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am considering purchasing an EV. I was looking at the database of charging stations here:
http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/electricity_locations.html

I noticed that many of the charging stations are at car dealerships. While it says they are for public use, I am wondering, does a Mitsubishi dealership allow you to charge a Nissan Leaf? Or do you have to find the dealership that matches your car?

Also if there are other/better databases than the one I referenced please let me know.

Thanks
Gary in Vermont

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Hi Gary

This site is predominantly used by the UK so most of the opinions/comments may not be appropriate for you. Perhaps @Dennis can help out.

Reactions: Paul

·
Super Moderator
1,298 Posts
Hello, I am considering purchasing an EV. I was looking at the database of charging stations here:

I noticed that many of the charging stations are at car dealerships. While it says they are for public use, I am wondering, does a Mitsubishi dealership allow you to charge a Nissan Leaf? Or do you have to find the dealership that matches your car?

Also if there are other/better databases than the one I referenced please let me know.

Thanks
Gary in Vermont
Unfortunately dealers are all individual businesses and therefore it's been my experience to ask before you go (especially on a long trip) and get the name of the person approving it. Individual owner policies may differ. However, I have met dealerships that would allow a competing brand to charge.

Are you aware of some of the EV charging apps and networks? Plugshare by Recargo is an aggregator that has a very strong US focus. OpenChargeMap is another, but I've found the US data to be less robust than the Plugshare one. Chargepoint, Blink, Carcharging, and EV Connect are some of the commercial networks that also have apps.

These apps typically provide the information from the government database plus more. It may provide access hours and local procedures.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts

Thanks
Gary in Vermont
As most dealerships are franchises, even in the UK, they are not always friendly to other manufacturers cars using their chargers.
However, if it's a one off they will normally see it as a good deed.
If you want to use one regularly, best to have a chat with them before you take the plunge and buy a car on the assumption that you can use that specific charger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts