Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Volt
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend was mentioning how they are going to a drive-in theater near them, with multiple SARS-CoV-2 appropriate measures such as porta potties that are cleaned by an attendant after each use (the friend said) and only half the usual number of vehicles allowed.

This got me to thinking. I don't remember much about drive-ins but if one is going to sit in the vehicle for hours and run some of the vehicle functions (maybe including sound and air conditioning) then it would be interesting to contemplate a drive-in theater well-equipped with robust L1 or L2 charging near every vehicle. The attendants could plug them in, to reduce risky public station interaction.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
422 Posts
Much as I would prefer to use my own sound system I think they provide it, presumably via its own battery.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GT Line R135
149 Posts
If drive-ins were going to be a long-term feature, as opposed to short- to medium-term, then it would be a no-brainer. But with the cost involved for installing the electrical infrastructure, I wouldn't expect anyone to invest in it, given the unknowns.

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
Whilst I like the thinking, having more places to charge is good right, for the time you’d be at a drive in movie place (or church?!) I can’t see anywhere being happy to pay for infrastructure to support it.

There is also a risk that EVs and their owners just become a massive pain, I mean, do other customers suggest that petrol or diesel be available at the venue too?

They don’t, because fuel stations are everywhere aren’t they, which is what we need for EVs as well, except more of them.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GT Line R135
149 Posts
do other customers suggest that petrol or diesel be available at the venue too?

They don’t, because fuel stations are everywhere aren’t they
I disagree here. They are two very different models for refilling.

Petrol cars take 3 mins to fill up, and don't take much time out of your routine. EVs will always be 'charge while stationary, preferably while you're busy doing something useful'.

Any time you're parked up for half an hour or more is an opportunity to charge. Preferably at a speed that matches well with the time you expect to be there. I would fully expect charging at drive-ins if they were here to stay, but I wouldn't expect anyone to invest given the uncertainty.

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
I disagree here. They are two very different models for refilling.

Petrol cars take 3 mins to fill up, and don't take much time out of your routine. EVs will always be 'charge while stationary, preferably while you're busy doing something useful'.

Any time you're parked up for half an hour or more is an opportunity to charge. Preferably at a speed that matches well with the time you expect to be there. I would fully expect charging at drive-ins if they were here to stay, but I wouldn't expect anyone to invest given the uncertainty.
It’s fine to disagree, that’s the first thing.

But it’s also important to be realistic about what can be done, or even what you should expect.

Is it right that the drive-in movie place should provide charging infrastructure, at their expense? Sure they might attract some EV drivers, but would they otherwise not come? It’s a nice to have I think, but there are other priorities surely?

How far will people be driving to access these places? Probably not beyond the return range of even the most basic EV I suspect.

Destination charging is a good thing, don’t get me wrong, but we should be careful that we don’t lobby to burden the every day business with the responsibility of providing us with the means to charge when nobody else does.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GT Line R135
149 Posts
Is it right that the drive-in movie place should provide charging infrastructure, at their expense?
Ah, no not at their expense. Perhaps we're talking at cross purposes here.

At the expense of the charging networks, with whatever revenue-sharing model is currently used in supermarkets and other existing locations. I know there's quite a few models about, with different parties (site owner, customer, advertisers, councils, network operator) paying different amounts.

"This film is sponsored by the VW ID, in partnership with Instavolt" or something like that.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi -
Part of what I have in mind here is that there may be times when one may wish to run the air conditioning or heating. This may happen with different frequencies in different parts of the world, but if it does, and if the vehicle is an EV, then it would be good to have a decent-kW connection so that the vehicle does not run down too much. Even if one is just running the vehicle battery to bring in the sound of the movie, or concert, or church service or presentation, through the radio, then an electric hookup might be nice. In fact, I wonder for some of the hotel functionalities, if it might be a useful feature to have the electric hookup bypass the battery and power the function directly? I don't know.

I don't recall drive-ins well, but I'm thinking they might have already had electricity to each spot (in order to bring in sound with an external speaker?). It would cost a fair amount to equip each spot at a drive-in to power an electric vehicle, but the revitalization of the drive-in industry would seem to be driven by a somewhat powerful development, which is the rendering of movie theaters, churches and other forums as dangerous, particularly in countries that have botched their response to the virus (i.e.: the US). In those cases, the move toward drive-ins might, I suppose, bring enough finance to equip each parking spot with a conventional outlet, or perhaps with a J1772 plug.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
An additional point here might be that there are some strong question marks hanging over what a number of people (at least in the US) are going to be doing to put bread on the table over the next few years. So, if there might be economic opportunity in some new way of doing things, then I think it should be considered, even if some of the capex and operating costs and the overall "who will pay for what?" are question marks.

This link is one of several (I just grabbed it for the headline, haven't read this particular one) but I don't know if this applies at all in the UK.

The coronavirus emptied movie theaters. But it's resurrecting the drive-in.
These strange, socially isolated times have led us to look back to find a path forward — in this case to a pastime that was all the rage in the 1950s.
June 5, 2020, 1:31 AM MST
By Bryan Reesman

·
Registered
130 Posts
This link is one of several (I just grabbed it for the headline, haven't read this particular one) but I don't know if this applies at all in the UK.

The coronavirus emptied movie theaters. But it's resurrecting the drive-in.
In the UK there has been a long standing tradition of outdoor theatre, concerts, festivals, and more recently movies. However these tend to be very temporary affairs held during the height of the summer, in a field or historic landmark.

The biggest problem for setting up EV charging at a drive-in anything in the UK is the weather. It might be fine for the odd month or three, but it will never be economically viable all year round.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
In the UK there has been a long standing tradition of outdoor theatre, concerts, festivals, and more recently movies. However these tend to be very temporary affairs held during the height of the summer, in a field or historic landmark.

The biggest problem for setting up EV charging at a drive-in anything in the UK is the weather. It might be fine for the odd month or three, but it will never be economically viable all year round.
Thanks. Are any or many of those outdoor traditional concerts viewed from vehicles?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks. Are any or many of those outdoor traditional concerts viewed from vehicles?
I have never heard of one where you view them from your car. Depending on the type of concert you will either be standing (e.g. like an arena/stadium concert but in a field) or at a posher event you will take a picnic and sit on a rug.

Examples of posh events:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Think this is a US/UK issue. Drive-ins have never been a big thing here, and we don’t have megachurches with large car parks. There’s a drive in cinema coming to my area, but it’s a temporary thing in a pick-your-own farm - they’re not going to put that infrastructure in. In general terms, the UK has a population about a fifth that of the US, but in a land area the size of Oregon - we just don’t have lots of space to spread out like that.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This all makes sense, but I also think, with the pandemic and the important economic unknowns over the next couple of quarters, that there is an "all bets are off" aspect to trying to come up with new business and other ideas. It is also interesting to contemplate how the pandemic might change vehicle design and use.

Think this is a US/UK issue. Drive-ins have never been a big thing here, and we don’t have megachurches with large car parks. There’s a drive in cinema coming to my area, but it’s a temporary thing in a pick-your-own farm - they’re not going to put that infrastructure in. In general terms, the UK has a population about a fifth that of the US, but in a land area the size of Oregon - we just don’t have lots of space to spread out like that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts